PDA

View Full Version : Win M70 Extreme Weather vs Rem Mountain

Watrdawg
08-20-12, 10:02
I'm comparing rifles and looking to purchase another 7mm 08 caliber rifle. I've had a lot of experience with various Rem Mtn rifles and love that style of rifle. I haven't had one in a while though. Remington is now doing the Mtn rifle in stainless and a B&C stock. I really like the looks of it. The bad part is they will not be manufacturing this rifle in 7mm 08 until late fall which means delivery to LGS's until late Nov. early Dec. I've been looking at the Win. M70 Extreme Weather in 7mm 08 and this rifle is almost the same as Rem's Mtn rifle. Big difference is that they are available now.

Does anyone have any experience with this model, whatever caliber, if so what kind of accuracy standards have you seen. What are the overall impressions of the Winchester.

RyanB
08-20-12, 11:27
The new Winchesters are the best ever made. Meanwhile since the buyout Remington's trend downward. Easy call. The Model 70 by a mile.

ICANHITHIMMAN
08-20-12, 16:38
The new Winchesters are the best ever made. Meanwhile since the buyout Remington's trend downward. Easy call. The Model 70 by a mile.

Well said

nineteenkilo
08-21-12, 12:45
Yeah, the Model 70 gets my nod as well. I don't think they've ever been better.

Also, helluva a choice in caliber. The 7-08 is one of the most under appreciated calibers in the hunting world. I put it right up there with the 257 Bob.

Watrdawg
08-21-12, 13:24
7mm 08 is my all time favorite caliber. Great all around performance and very little recoil. I've hunted with it since 1990. Actualy my first rifle in that caliber was a Rem Mtn rifle.

ariesfromhell
08-23-12, 20:55

this.

longball
08-23-12, 22:57
I shot that exact Winchester, caliber and all, a few weeks ago. I think anybody would be happy with that setup, especially if you need to tote a rifle a considerable distance where you hunt, or are just looking to lighten your load without being beaten to death every time you pull the trigger.

ETA: by the time I shot that Winchester I had already shot 4 hours worth of clays so I had developed a pretty good flinch. Needless to say my performance wasn't anything to write home about but I did talk to a regular long range competitor and gunsmith later on about his thoughts when he shot it. He was thoroughly impressed and reported very good groups shooting factory Winchester ballictic silvertips.

Watrdawg,
On an unrelated note, did I read in another thread somewhere that you are a big time waterfowl guy?

mark5pt56
08-24-12, 06:11
I've seen one Winchester Extreme in 30-06, used in a class. Handled great, shot great, extremely accurate. He used the Garand Match and had no problems hitting out to 800 on a 12x12 inch plate. Not the intent of this rifle but a good indicator to the quality. I do plan to get one one day, one each in 7-08, .308 and 06.

Watrdawg
08-24-12, 07:40
I shot that exact Winchester, caliber and all, a few weeks ago. I think anybody would be happy with that setup, especially if you need to tote a rifle a considerable distance where you hunt, or are just looking to lighten your load without being beaten to death every time you pull the trigger.

ETA: by the time I shot that Winchester I had already shot 4 hours worth of clays so I had developed a pretty good flinch. Needless to say my performance wasn't anything to write home about but I did talk to a regular long range competitor and gunsmith later on about his thoughts when he shot it. He was thoroughly impressed and reported very good groups shooting factory Winchester ballictic silvertips.

Watrdawg,
On an unrelated note, did I read in another thread somewhere that you are a big time waterfowl guy?

Definitely love waterfowling!! Actually I love working my dog as much as the hunting part of it all. I have an 8yr old lab and an 8month of pup coming along. We run Hunt Tests and dabble in Field Trials during the off season.

I called my LGC and had him put one on order for me. All of his distributers were out of stock on the 7mm08's. I'm kind of intrigued by the 270WSM and have been tempted to rty it out but I've been shooting the 7mm08 since 1990 and really like the cartridge. I think I'll have to be patient and wait for it to come in.

Littlelebowski
08-24-12, 07:41
Is this a classic Model 70 action we are talking about here?

Watrdawg
08-24-12, 07:45
If you are talking about the pre-64 type claw extraction controlled feed action yes it is

Watrdawg
11-05-12, 05:40
3-4 weeks ago I picked up the Win M70 Ext Weather in 7 mm 08 I was thinking about. I put a Leupold VX3 4.5x14 x50 on it. I used Talley bases and rings. Yesterday was the first chance I got to sight it in. I sighted it in at 200 yards. I couldn't shoot it for groups after sighting it in because I had to get to my daughters volleyball game but I was able to get a 5 shot group off. 5 shots, center to center, went into a nice 1.3" group. The MOA trigger is very nice also. No over travel and it breaks cleanly. Not like snapping a glass rod but cleanly at 3.5lbs.

Basically I'm thoroughly happy with it and have no regrets choosing it over the Rem Mtn rifle

ICANHITHIMMAN
11-05-12, 06:18
3-4 weeks ago I picked up the Win M70 Ext Weather in 7 mm 08 I was thinking about. I put a Leupold VX3 4.5x14 x50 on it. I used Talley bases and rings. Yesterday was the first chance I got to sight it in. I sighted it in at 200 yards. I couldn't shoot it for groups after sighting it in because I had to get to my daughters volleyball game but I was able to get a 5 shot group off. 5 shots, center to center, went into a nice 1.3" group. The MOA trigger is very nice also. No over travel and it breaks cleanly. Not like snapping a glass rod but cleanly at 3.5lbs.

Basically I'm thoroughly happy with it and have no regrets choosing it over the Rem Mtn rifle

OH NO YOU FORGOT THE PICS

ICANHITHIMMAN
11-05-12, 06:20
Is this a classic Model 70 action we are talking about here?

All of the new Winchesters are CRF, different company now any off the push feed guns will be New Haven guns.

Watrdawg
11-05-12, 07:31
Here is a pic of the rifle. Didnt take pics of the group since I was in such a hurry. We sighted in this rifle and my 45-70 the MrSmith worked over for me. I also include the 45-70. The 45-70 is a thumper. My shoulder is a bit bruised. Fun to shoot for sure.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/h2odog/photo-7.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/h2odog/MarlinGuideGun.jpg

Watrdawg
11-05-12, 15:07
By the way I was shooting Hornady 139gr GMX Super Performance ammunition in my 7mm08. I haven't tried the Federal TSX or Trophy Copper that I purchased also. If It is any more accurate that the
Hornady I'll be very amazed.