PDA

View Full Version : New Colt 6920 - No staking on Gas Key

TacMedic556
08-21-12, 17:12
Today a friend of mine purchased a Colt M4 LE6920 Brand New from Wal-Mart. He had me over, and I performed a quick inspection. First thing I noticed upon removing the M16, Colt, "C" marked, BCG, was that the gas key on the carrier was NOT staked at all. I could not believe my eyes.

This is the second issue I have personally seen recently. I was inspecting a Colt in another local shop recently that had a broken bolt release. The "tooth" that holds the magazine follower down was broken and the tooth missing. Unknown if another customer looked at it, handled it and broke it. Shop owner believes if came, recently in that state.

I love Colts, believe in them and own an older Large pin 6920. This breaks my heart. It happens I guess. We'll see if Wal-Mart takes it back or Colt will remedy the situation. Stand by.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i340/Tacmedic556/IMG_0048.jpg
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i340/Tacmedic556/IMG_0049.jpg
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i340/Tacmedic556/IMG_0050.jpg

C4IGrant
08-21-12, 17:56
Colt only sends crappy 6920's to Wally World! :D

The broken bolt catch is most likely because someone dropped the hammer with the lower separated from the upper. See it all the time.

C4

TriumphRat675
08-21-12, 18:01
Anyone can have an off day.

filthy phil
08-21-12, 18:25
i saw this thread and had to check my 6 week old 6920. (honestly i didn't even know wth staking was)
i'm staked:cool:

i got mine from my lgs/pawn shop

Palmguy
08-21-12, 18:37
Today a friend of mine purchased a Colt M4 LE6920 Brand New from Wal-Mart. He had me over, and I performed a quick inspection. First thing I noticed upon removing the M16, Colt, "C" marked, BCG, was that the gas key on the carrier was NOT staked at all. I could not believe my eyes.

This is the second issue I have personally seen recently. I was inspecting a Colt in another local shop recently that had a broken bolt release. The "tooth" that holds the magazine follower down was broken and the tooth missing. Unknown if another customer looked at it, handled it and broke it. Shop owner believes if came, recently in that state.

I love Colts, believe in them and own an older Large pin 6920. This breaks my heart. It happens I guess. We'll see if Wal-Mart takes it back or Colt will remedy the situation. Stand by.

:confused::confused::confused:

Get Colt to fix it or get it staked yourself. I'm not sure why you would return the rifle.

CoryCop25
08-21-12, 18:45
As the great Ken Hackathorn says... "Even a monkey falls out of the tree once in a while"

Just get it staked and run with it.

TacMedic556
08-21-12, 19:33
Pretty much echoes of what I told him. Good to hear. He is planning on contacting Colt and just getting it staked or getting them to send another. It sounds promising. The fit and finish and everything else seem top Colt quality.

Magic_Salad0892
08-21-12, 21:21
I would just stake, and counterstake it. Tell Colt that they let one slip. I've heard that their QC department really wants to hear stuff like that so they know what to look for.

kmrtnsn
08-21-12, 22:21
You should take those pictures down because if Scott Ryan sees them his head is going to explode like in that movie, Scanners.

munch520
08-21-12, 22:26
You should take those pictures down because if Scott Ryan sees them his head is going to explode like in that movie, Scanners.

:laugh:

ST911
08-21-12, 22:27
I believe that carrier makes three Colt carriers I've seen that weren't assembled and staked properly. I've only been looking at them deliberately and critically for a decade or so though.

Other manufacturers would kill to have Colt's defect ratio. Stake it and drive on. Thanks for posting proof positive that no one is perfect.

Pilgrim
08-21-12, 22:41
I was looking over 4 new Colt 6720's last week, and quickly noticed that one of them was missing the front sling swivel... odd thing for a QC person to miss.

jaxman7
08-22-12, 04:01
Colt only sends crappy 6920's to Wally World! :D

Well it is from Walmart. It's probably a Chinese Colt! :blink:

-Jax

markm
08-22-12, 12:10
Colt has gone a little gay lately. Tan guns? MOE guns? Silly piston gay guns? Next they'll be endorsing Hussein for another term! :cray:

Magic_Salad0892
08-22-12, 16:00
Colt has gone a little gay lately. Tan guns? MOE guns? Silly piston gay guns? Next they'll be endorsing Hussein for another term! :cray:

I'm with you on the hoMOE guns. However, I think the tan anodized guns were a good idea, and the piston gun is cool.

Grand58742
08-22-12, 16:13
I was looking over 4 new Colt 6720's last week, and quickly noticed that one of them was missing the front sling swivel... odd thing for a QC person to miss.

From what I've seen and this is an assumption of mine, but every distributor and dealer I've seen has been snatching up anything in adonized black and goes bang according to several LGS I've been to. Look at the high end manufacturers on back order right now. It's impossible to get some models without an extensive search. I've been haunting Grant's site for different things and he's out of stock for most uppers and lowers. Palmetto can't keep uppers or lowers in stock for the most part either. I've checked other sites and they are mainly out of stock as well.

Could be that demand is seriously outweighing production and things are going to get missed in the madness pushing increased production. Everyone is preparing for the October/November election year rush by ordering everything they can and manufacturers are having a hard time keeping up. If a sling swivel or improper staking is the only thing missing out of all the ones that have been shipped, I'd say that's a pretty good track record.

But overall, in the election year madness, I think we will all see things that are going to get missed by tired and overworked QC folks even on a "Tier 1" rifle. Doesn't mean they are going to be substandard overall as I'm sure the customer support folks will take care of it.

d90king
08-22-12, 16:49
I think Colt must have had a batch slip out without the keys staked. This is the 4th report I have seen in the last 30-45 days and I believe they all originated at Wally World.

Something to keep an eye on for sure.

Moltke
08-22-12, 16:53
Wait, what's wrong with the MOE guns, I think they're a pretty good value out of the box. Is it that the parts don't add any additional shooting capability and just look nicer?

Terlingueno
08-22-12, 18:23
I recently purchased a Colt BCG and the gas key was not staked either. I ended up buying a Brownells staking tool so I fixed it myself. Too bad there arent board members who would provide a staking service.

Magic_Salad0892
08-22-12, 19:20
Wait, what's wrong with the MOE guns, I think they're a pretty good value out of the box. Is it that the parts don't add any additional shooting capability and just look nicer?

I find the standard furnature to be more comfortable. But I would be rollin' a Tango Down pistol grip, LMT stock, and KAC rail over anything regardless.

totenkopf_u64
08-22-12, 19:59
But overall, in the election year madness, I think we will all see things that are going to get missed by tired and overworked QC folks even on a "Tier 1" rifle. Doesn't mean they are going to be substandard overall as I'm sure the customer support folks will take care of it.

I hear what you are saying, but I find it unacceptable. Their priority and responsibility should be complete, high quality rifles. If they let some slip their record should reflect that. Reputation is the sum total of your actions and compromising quality is bad (not tolerated in my workplace).

El Cid
08-22-12, 20:13
Add another to the list. A brand new 6920 MPFDE I ordered from Clyde's. I noticed it at the dealer but would've had to refuse it back to Clyde's so I let Colt hand it. They've had the BCG a month now and I got a letter yesterday saying they'll fix it. The "need by" date is January 2013.... I called today and they said its a standard projection not how long it really takes. Of course they couldn't tell me where in the process it is. I should've staked it myself.

Seeing a the others that were "missed" there are two problems. One is the person who is supposed to be staking. The second is the QC inspector letting the guns out the door. Is Colt union?

Tzoid
08-22-12, 20:21
Wow...

I guess Colt is not as perfect as some constantly say on the internet... Maybe they were all Friday afternoon guns :rolleyes:

Airhasz
08-22-12, 20:25
Possibly a disgruntled employee dishing payback...:secret:

Kokopelli
08-22-12, 20:27
Say it ain't so paw... Say it ain't so..

TRD
08-22-12, 20:35
Is Colt union?

Actually, I believe the answer to your question is yes.

Doc Safari
08-22-12, 20:53
Wow...

I guess Colt is not as perfect as some constantly say on the internet... Maybe they were all Friday afternoon guns :rolleyes:

I've noticed over the years that Colt has peaks and valleys with quality control. I owned brand new, ban-style rifles made around 1996 and all seem to have a rusted spring or something.

On the other hand, I also purchased NIB pre 1994 ban rifles that were perfect.

justin_247
08-22-12, 21:08
Colt is unionized.

That being said, I'm sure they'll make it right. They may be a bit slow...

Iraqgunz
08-22-12, 22:13
Are we all done beating this retarded horse to death? Just curious, because let's face it. Shit happens and it's not some type of Colt conspiracy.

CoryCop25
08-22-12, 22:29
Are we all done beating this retarded horse to death? Just curious, because let's face it. Shit happens and it's not some type of Colt conspiracy.

I agree with you on the fact that there is some off color comments but I think it is good to see that even the best products can have faults.
The real issue is what the company will do to rectify the problem. This particular issue does not render the weapon inop, yet. I have no doubt that Colt, BCM, Noveske etc. would fix whatever issue with due haste. That is the difference when you choose quality.

aguila327
08-23-12, 04:58
As the great Ken Hackathorn says... "Even a monkey falls out of the tree once in a while"

Just get it staked and run with it.

Bingo

TacticalSledgehammer
08-23-12, 06:53
Well it is from Walmart. It's probably a Chinese Colt! :blink:

-Jax

HAHA :laugh:

Straight Shooter
08-23-12, 07:12
I think the one thing this thread teaches, is to know enough about the
weapon type your buying to INSPECT that specific piece your buying before or soon after you take it home. And for damn sure, before you start using it to defend home & hearth.
I go over everything Iby, usually at the counter, before I take it out of the store. Im picking up a Gen3 G17 next week, that I inspected fully before accepting that specific one.

markm
08-23-12, 07:28
Shit happens and it's not some type of Colt conspiracy.

No matter what Colt does, there'll always be the Colt derangement crowd out there. :p

C4IGrant
08-23-12, 08:20
Possibly a disgruntled employee dishing payback...:secret:

This actually happens. We have even seen it in the Military were a guy does all kinds of things to cause problems (as he is pissed off at someone).

Like any AR manufacturer though, they WILL put out lemons from time to time. Personally, I would rather have a Colt with an un-staked gas key than a perfectly built AR by MOST anyone else.

YMMV.

C4

JSantoro
08-23-12, 08:45
This breaks my heart.

I hope that's artistic license, otherwise the thresholds for heartbreak are LOW. It's an unstaked carrier key; undesirable but in no way particularly unique....and nobody was betrayed by a lover.

Here's hoping that all of our lawns will, one day, be that emo. If we can achieve that, they will cut themselves so we won't have to.