PDA

View Full Version : Payable to "the Department of THE Justice" ???

RIDE
08-22-12, 13:16
For one reads: "... $200 made payable to the Department of THE Justice." (emphasis added)

Is there really supposed to be a THE in there?

What is the exact verbiage to use on the money order?

lol.. I feel like I'm over thinking this, but I'd like to avoid all hassle/delays.

CAR-AR-M16
08-22-12, 13:59
When ATF fell under the Treasury Department the older forms said payable to the "Department of the Treasury". When they moved under the Justice Department and updated the forms I am sure someone just deleted the word Treasury and replaced it with Justice.

Yes, you are over-thinking it. You can put ATF, BATF, BATFE, Department of Justice, pretty much anything... they will still cash it.

RIDE
08-22-12, 14:00
When ATF fell under the Treasury Department the older forms said payable to the "Department of the Treasury". When they moved under the Justice Department I am sure someone just deleted the word Treasury and replaced it with Justice.

Yes, you are over-thinking it. You can put ATF, BATF, BATFE, Department of Justice, pretty much anything... they will still cash it.

Thank you! ;)

WS6
08-24-12, 01:44
When ATF fell under the Treasury Department the older forms said payable to the "Department of the Treasury". When they moved under the Justice Department and updated the forms I am sure someone just deleted the word Treasury and replaced it with Justice.

I doubt they get looked at cross-eyed when they show up at the teller window, so to speak. :D

jbaird22
08-24-12, 14:14
They ACH the check anyway so you could write "uncle sam" on there and be GTG.

veeklog
08-25-12, 10:35

I wrote mine to Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives and they still cashed it!

STG77
08-28-12, 19:12

Even if they did "look" at whom it was made out to, I doubt they care as long as they have their $200.

aquajon
08-28-12, 19:24
You could write it on a post-it note made payable to Joe Bob. As long as it has your routing number and account number, they will deposit it.

chadbag
08-28-12, 19:53
Interesting, I thought that the TAX function of the ATF remained with Treasury and only the enforcement and investigative section went to Justice.

(looks it up)

Looks like I am 1/2 right at least. The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax functions DID stay with Treasury...

hmm..

Why is the Justice Dept collecting federal taxes? (that was a rhetorical question, not looking for an answer in this thread. You can make a new thread if you want to discuss it).

---

oef24
08-28-12, 21:37
I sent one out last month to "BATFE" and it was cashed. I sent another out today with "BATFE". I am sure they will cash it as well.

O

RIDE
08-28-12, 21:49
Yeah... cash in is cashin' in. I'm sure they are cashing whatever it is that gets sent their way.

ImmortalArms
08-30-12, 22:08
BATFE on everyone I send out, they all get cashed :D