PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint PRO - shorter than expected battery life?

dexvx
08-22-12, 14:33
I purchased an Aimpoint PRO from Grant here about 15 months ago. The (stock) battery died approximately 2 weeks ago. It seemed somewhat unusual, given the fact that the rifle was stored at mostly room temperatures (20-30c) and the setting was at 5 (of 10).

http://www.aimpoint.com/us/products/all-products/product-singleview/product/PRO/

Even the specification guide says it is rated at 30,000 hours (3.4 years) continuous at room temperature on setting . Do you guys think it is just a battery anomaly? Has anyone else experienced this issue?

markm
08-22-12, 14:51
Probably just a funky battery.

VIP3R 237
08-22-12, 14:52
Try a new battery, if it fails again then through process of elimination its the optic, after which you should contact Aimpoint.

kwelz
08-23-12, 00:19
Same thing happened to me with a H1. Lasted maybe a month. Replacement battery has lasted 9 months with no issue.

Failure2Stop
08-23-12, 00:25
It happens.
I learned long ago that reality plays hell with expectations.
Check your gear before you are going to count on it.

halmbarte
08-23-12, 08:17
Pretty much comes down to a bad battery or a bad Aimpoint.

I know which way I would bet.

H

Singlestack Wonder
08-23-12, 09:54
It happens.
I learned long ago that reality plays hell with expectations.
Check your gear before you are going to count on it.

+1

I have three (3) T1's which have been on constantly for 3.5 years with no battery issues. Of course, if I were deploying or going to use one of the weapons for HD or a SHTF situation, I would replace the batteries at least once a year.

ar911d
08-26-12, 00:13
The batteries are made with much lower QC than the Aimpoints, so I'd suspect a bad battery first.

sinlessorrow
08-26-12, 19:03
I would say battery issues, generally even expensive things come with crap batteries, I never keep the normal battery in.

big 54r
08-28-12, 12:12
yep...my "pro" is 4 month's old and the battery has crapped out...no biggie though just gonna get a cpl more.

Leprechaun
09-02-12, 18:06
Batteries are 99% of the time the issue.Any time we have a problem like that a simple battery change(with a good one) fixes the problem and brings it back o life.
Note: none have made the total number of hours Aimpoint says but they do very well though

dexvx
09-02-12, 19:29
Well, it came with a Duracell DL1/3N and I replaced it with an Energizer 2L76 I bought off Amazon for like $3 a piece.

420ollie
09-03-12, 00:51
Probaly defective battery.

TheWaker43
03-20-14, 16:55
Bump this old thread.

My third battery in just over a year crapped out in my Pro sometime in the past few days. First battery was from the factory. The next two were from Batteries Plus, do not recall the exact expiration dates but both were years from now. And they all seemed to last about the same amount of time, approximately five months. Is it time to contact Aimpoint or should I give it another five months or so? By the way the Pro was purchased from SKD, so no worries there.

Flankenstein
03-20-14, 17:52
Batteries are 99% of the time the issue.Any time we have a problem like that a simple battery change(with a good one) fixes the problem and brings it back o life.
Note: none have made the total number of hours Aimpoint says but they do very well though

Interesting. How many are we talking here? I usually read of optics exceeding the claim.

Grim Fandango
03-27-14, 02:27
Bump this old thread.

My third battery in just over a year crapped out in my Pro sometime in the past few days. First battery was from the factory. The next two were from Batteries Plus, do not recall the exact expiration dates but both were years from now. And they all seemed to last about the same amount of time, approximately five months. Is it time to contact Aimpoint or should I give it another five months or so? By the way the Pro was purchased from SKD, so no worries there.

I just checked my email records, and I bought my PRO in March of 2011, and it's still on the original battery. I keep mine on setting 7, unless conditions call for something higher or lower. The only time it gets turned off is when I'm practicing using the irons without taking the Aimpoint off. It stays on even when it's in the safe.

If you're on your third battery in one year, I'd say it's time to contact Aimpoint.

EDIT: Removed incorrect info regarding battery type.

ra2bach
03-27-14, 14:09
Bump this old thread.

wow, three in a year? how high do you have it turned up? the battery life is rated at a certain brightness. if you stuck with that and it still gave problems, I'd let Aimpoint know.

I've had none of these short battery life problems but to be fair, I change out all the batteries every year when I do my smoke detector batts. it just seems like simple insurance...

I do have one T1 in the safe that I've left on just to see how long it will go. it's over three years now and when the battery does die, I'll replace it with a fresh one and this will go on my HD gun...

Eric
03-28-14, 19:45
As an aside, you say yours came with a battery? I don't think mine did. I'm pretty sure it has a Surefire battery in it, since that's what I use for my lights. If for some reason you feel like giving this problem another five months, consider switching to Surefire batteries. You can buy them in a 2-pack on Amazon.
Bad info.
Yes the PRO ships with the battery, a 1/3N lithium, not a CR123A (used in Surefire lights).

Grim Fandango
03-29-14, 00:24
Bad info.
Yes the PRO ships with the battery, a 1/3N lithium, not a CR123A (used in Surefire lights).

Good catch. I just opened mine up, and sure enough, I'd forgotten what type of battery it uses.

TheWaker43
04-01-14, 14:14
Yeah, it's going back to Aimpoint. I think I keep it around five. I actually tried setting it as low as possible and still be usable.

Flankenstein
04-01-14, 14:31
How does the dot look? Is everything else gtg besides the poor battery life?

TheWaker43
04-01-14, 18:37
It looks like everything else is fine. The same with the dot, it's a pretty well defined circle. It also seems to function as it should, first few settings are almost invisible and gets progressively brighter. I don't abuse it and the only change is it's in a Larue mount. But that should have nothing to do with battery life.

usmcvet
07-07-15, 18:53
It looks like everything else is fine. The same with the dot, it's a pretty well defined circle. It also seems to function as it should, first few settings are almost invisible and gets progressively brighter. I don't abuse it and the only change is it's in a Larue mount. But that should have nothing to do with battery life.

What was the outcome?

TheWaker43
07-08-15, 12:47
I replaced the battery with a DL1/3N a few months ago. So far so good. I still keep it set about five or so. I'm guessing it was like everyone said and I got a batch of crap batteries. I'm not sure if the old ones were CR1/3N or DL1/3N, maybe that has something to do with it.