PDA

View Full Version : Vet court. Opinions

Ghost__1
08-23-12, 12:19
Firstly i am a veteran. I think that its a great idea in theory. However on paper and in my heart I know that when i joined I wasn't asking for special treatment.

I would like to hear the boards thoughts. How does this effect all men are created equal? I realize that we asked members of the military to do some extraordinary things to the enemies of or country and our freedoms so maybe something is owed. I'm torn on it.

If you aren't sure or haven't heard of it here is a link.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE7082U020110109?irpc=932

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans'_court

Dirk Williams
08-23-12, 12:42
In many instances there are things going on. My friend is a retired Col, who has pointed out that truck drivers, supply clerks etc etc are all exposed to extreme violence daily when deployed.

The will to survive is our most basic skill. I believe these special courts are needed. There are mitigating things going on that need to be reviewed for correct application of justice.

Using my friends rolling his rig as a point, we the people bear the responsibility for his and others similar response to the box in the road.

He acquired that condition defending us. We owe him and all our vets the best we have to offer. I applaud the wisdom and those in my community who had the wisdom and the courage to suggest this vet court.

FYI, one of the men who made this happen is a Judge in this community . He's also a JAG with multiple deployments. He simply saw a need and worked within the system to make it happen.

Unaware of the courts ordering the vets to head doctors for any events.

DW

glocktogo
08-23-12, 13:07
I'm of two minds on it. First, I think our vets deserve better treatment from the system, but then again, so do a lot of people. I'd hate to see a vet with no service related mental or physical issues take advantage of the purpose for this system. If they have drug or alcohol issues, they should take advantage of the regular drug & alcohol courts. Their service record should be used as weighted factors during sentencing. That's no different than a person's otherwise good standing in the community or public service record.

For those vets who have trouble reassimilating into normal society due to service related issues such as PTSD, TBI, physical wounds, etc., we need to offer services to assist them. When they get into trouble, simply puttig them before a court that neither understands nor properly weights those issues is a disservice to both the veteran and the community.

Redmanfms
08-23-12, 13:58
People who commit crimes should be held accountable. If mental illness is a mitigating factor it would be just as admissible in any regular court, and veteran status is admissible in most sentencing proceedings. It sets an uncomfortable precedent. Such courts also reinforce the concept of the military man as an "other" to be viewed with suspicion and treated differently.

And the simple fact is that veterans commit crimes at much lower rates than the general public. Those that use PTSD/TBI to explain criminal misdeeds are goldbricking.

Ghost__1
08-23-12, 14:50
Great replies. I honestly believe that we do owe some of the soldiers whom come home home with these issues a different approach than the standard legal system. I would like to hope that their crimes are logically connected with whatever misdeed was committed.

On a slightly separate note I went to court today for driving without a valid license. It was initially driving with a suspended license however a phone call to the DA I was able to get a plea for the lesser charge. The judge also showed leniency because of my Vet status. In fact she asked that anyone in the magistrate court let her know if you were a Vet.

Long story long I am an idiot. I honestly do have some mental issues with my service but only about money right now. I just want a good long term job. If also like it to pay better than minimum wage. I'm going to have to look into moving out of my home state to do that. With the economy in the shit hole i slipped on my insurance to pay rent. That's how i lost my license back in march. Since is hard to get a good job without a license its a big damn catch 22 and lesson for me. Ive never felt so irresponsible. For a min it seemed that i couldn't win and the system was just waiting for me to do something wrong. I can't relate to the substance abuse issues or extreme cases of ptsd or the sort though but it did boost my faith that the country isn't going to let vets slip through like they did after nam

CarlosDJackal
08-23-12, 15:49
IMHO, if they applied the laws fairly and used proper discretion they would not need a special court to begin with.

Unfortunately, as a Criminal Defense Lawyer once told me (para): "It doesn't matter how much evidence there is. The one with the best lawyer usually wins their case."

Ghost__1
08-23-12, 16:32
IMHO, if they applied the laws fairly and used proper discretion they would not need a special court to begin with.

Unfortunately, as a Criminal Defense Lawyer once told me (para): "It doesn't matter how much evidence there is. The one with the best lawyer usually wins their case."

That isn't exactly true either. Sometimes you just simply did the wrong thing.
I was driving my gf and her friend home from the bar i worked security at because they were drink. I owned up to the charge because no amount of money would of got me out of it though and i was wrong no matter the intentions.

RyanB
08-23-12, 16:40
The goal is not to convict people and put them away, it is to obtain compliance with the law. If there is a better way to do it I'm all for it.

Voodoo_Man
08-23-12, 16:49
I have sent many people to vet court, though I have never been there to testify, I have had my "clients" go there for hearings.

Some should be given a fair shake, first time DUI'ers, petty/retail theft and narc possession. Sure vet court is good for that.

I had a guy I picked up for his 6th DUI go to vet court and they gave him a literal slap on the wrist. Not what it should be for, in my opinion.

Dirk Williams
08-23-12, 17:21
I wasn't advocating a free pass, but real solution oriented interaction Your 6 DUII guy needs some accountability it's a matter of time before he kills someone.

Not arguing, I just think vet court is a win win situation if applied correctly.

Good luck to you.

DW

Voodoo_Man
08-23-12, 17:30
I wasn't advocating a free pass, but real solution oriented interaction Your 6 DUII guy needs some accountability it's a matter of time before he kills someone.

Not arguing, I just think vet court is a win win situation if applied correctly.

Good luck to you.

DW

All these types of programs have flaws, the 6 dui guy was one of them, but I am sure there were many instances where it worked.

Ghost__1
08-23-12, 17:36
All these types of programs have flaws, the 6 dui guy was one of them, but I am sure there were many instances where it worked.

I agree with this fully. The Courts still need to look at it with common sense. I think that a Vets Service record plays a big part of his attitude and reasoning and it should be looked at by people who know what they are looking for. 6 DUIs is extremely excessive and I'm pretty sure that it is at least a class four felony in most jurisdictions.

Some people no system can save without a babysitter.

Voodoo_Man
08-23-12, 17:41
I agree with this fully. The Courts still need to look at it with common sense. I think that a Vets Service record plays a big part of his attitude and reasoning and it should be looked at by people who know what they are looking for. 6 DUIs is extremely excessive and I'm pretty sure that it is at least a class four felony in most jurisdictions.

Some people no system can save without a babysitter.

Around here it was just a slap on the wrist...they do not take anything seriously here...