PDA

View Full Version : SBR and Suppressor

poconoprepper
08-23-12, 14:17
Forgive me if this has been touched on before. I searched the threads and found information but I just want to make sure.

If I were to purchase a 14.5in barrel and permanently pin a flash suppressor with capabilities to attach a suppressor, bringing the overall barrel length to 16in, it would only require one tax stamp for the suppressor not an SBR stamp correct?

Also, would the extra length of the flash suppressor help with what is lost on a regular SBR that is suppressed?

markm
08-23-12, 14:26
Yeah. If you perm a mount to a 14.5 barrel, you'd only have one stamp... assuming that mount brings the length to over 16"... most do.

I don't understand the second question.... What is lost on a regular SBR with a suppressor?

justlikeanyoneelse
08-23-12, 15:07
I think he's referring to velocity or accuracy?
If so accuracy is not effected just velocity.
The shorter your barrel the more velocity you lose.
At 14.5 you have nothing to worry about.
Honestly, as a casual shooter you won't be able to tell a difference.

poconoprepper
08-23-12, 15:17
I was referring to velocity. Thanks for the answers guys, that's what I thought.

WS6
08-23-12, 17:31
Fwiw, I did exactly this...now I am waiting on my tax stamp for my 10.5" sbr. You will want one, I think, once you see that a 14.5" gun is more like an spr that a carbine with the suppressor in place.

TehLlama
08-24-12, 01:19
Fwiw, I did exactly this...now I am waiting on my tax stamp for my 10.5" sbr. You will want one, I think, once you see that a 14.5" gun is more like an spr that a carbine with the suppressor in place.

This is exactly it - I've built a gun just like you're thinking (14.5" pinned), and honestly I'd rather just use an 11.5" or 12.5" and have more can, or better maneuverability. Adding weight to the very nose end of the gun really really really moves the balance point forward, and doing that on the end of a non-SBR barrel makes it a less handy weapon - might as well be a 16" for all the effort required.
Better performing rounds make even a 10.5" barrel completely relevant out to pretty impressive range, so one or two more inches gives you really impressive reach. If velocity is a concern, a Noveske 12.5" SBR tends to be the answer for double stamp units.

markm
08-24-12, 07:44
For me... I'd have been just fine pinning my mount to my 14.5 bbl. I never take the mount off... And I only shoot the can 10% of the time.

If you plan to shoot the gun with the can on most of the time. Shorter is the way to go.