PDA

View Full Version : Help buying my first shotgun...

kstr0h
08-23-12, 14:29
I'm looking to buy my first shotgun but I have no idea what brand makes good guns. I'm looking for a more tactical kind of gun and I would like it to be 12g. I'm also not looking for a good entry shotgun, I would like something right off that bat that's good for all sorts of level shooters. I had seen some for well over a grand and some for 200 from dicks. Can anyone help me pick out one of great quailty but in the middle? Thanks!

WARRIOR84
08-23-12, 14:55
I would get a Remington 870 tactical or express can't go wrong built like a tank proven track record can't beat it for the money. Good luck bro.

KentuckyWindage
08-23-12, 15:36
Try both the Mossberg 590a1 and Remington 870 police. Don't go under either one of those models and you will have a solid shotgun. Try both side by side and see which controls you like better. I own both and use the 590a1 the most. Controls are laid out better then the 870 IMO. That is up to the user to figure out.

Wake27
08-23-12, 18:43
Another vote for the Remington 870 Tactical. Both Remington and Mossberg are huge, a Google search would easily get you all the information you could want.

far9mm
08-23-12, 19:28
Mossberg 500 or the 590 can't go wrong with either one.

coyote hunter
08-23-12, 20:44
Another vote for the 870.

I just picked up my third today. In the super magnum flavor.

There are unlimited add-ons for the 870, tactical anything you want, it's available.

jsttri
08-24-12, 20:23
One more for the 870. The newest 870 I carried while on the force was first issued in 1967. The best one had been issued in 1954. That older one was so slick that it was nearly a semi auto. My personal experience with an 870 has lead me to purchase my own after my time was up on the dept. I went with the 870 tactical for the factory installed upgrades. Let's face it, the ghost ring sight is fantastic and having a factory installed rail is nice for an Aimpoint or Eotech.

ToeCutter
09-06-12, 15:05
I would find a good deal on a police trade-in 870 police.

CobraBG
09-07-12, 07:48
Remington and Mossberg are both solid choices. You will find it is an individual preference based on the feel and the location of the safety. You need to handle both before you decide. Personally I prefer the Remington 870. You can find the Express Tactical for a little over $400.

Apricotshot
09-07-12, 08:00
Remington 870P with the wood stock. That makes cutting the stock to fit you easier.

nineteenkilo
09-07-12, 11:53
Yet another vote for the 870. Nothing wrong with the Mossbergs, I just prefer the 870 and it has a metric shit ton of parts available.

ST911
09-07-12, 11:57
Remington 870P or Mossberg 590A1. Both are well within your price range.

If you hit the search button, there are a bunch of threads about shotguns, configurations, and comparisons in brands and models that will answer almost any conceivable question you may have.

brickboy240
09-07-12, 12:14
Just as the Glock 19 is usually the answer for the "which 9mm should I buy"" threads, the Remington 870 is the answer for the "which shotgun should I buy?" threads.

seriously..it is hard to go wrong with a Remington 870 Tactical or Express.

Redmanfms
09-07-12, 16:28
870 Police is in the middle pricewise, but about the best you are going to get in a pump. They can be had from $500-$800 new, depending on configuration, cheaper (sometimes by hundreds) used.

Caeser25
09-07-12, 20:45
I'd buy a used one either way. I own a 870 and used a 590 in the sandbox. I prefer the 590 after owning the 870. Someday I plan to make the switch. I added a Mesa tactical adaptor for a moe grip and stock. I figured out the expensive way id prefer a 500 with a youth stock and kiss.

Bluto
09-08-12, 00:03
I'm a righty and my wife is a lefty. Our primary hd gun is a shotgun. Since we both use the same shotgun, we went with a mossberg simply because of the safety. We can both easily manipulate it. Fwiw we went with a 590a1. Picked it up at a show for the same price as a 500 from bass pro.

ddnguyen9
09-08-12, 01:04
I am only going to speak from experience. I have shot the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500. I would say the Remington 870.... hands down. The feel and durability of the Remington is far superior than the Mossberg.

scfast
09-08-12, 12:24
Echoing the majority here 870p or 590A1 based on your preference of feel and layout...Cannot go wrong with either.

Durability of the Remington is far superior than the Mossberg.IDK about that...Pretty ballsy statement LOL

MCS
09-08-12, 12:40
I had an 870 tactical and it served me well, but I sold it to pick up a police trade in to build up with some Vang Comp goodies. Can't go wrong with an 870!

ddnguyen9
09-08-12, 12:50
IDK about that...Pretty ballsy statement LOL

Like I said, it was based off of my experience of shooting them... whether it is the overall consensus or not. The Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 were both owned by a buddy at the time (before I actually purchased my own 870). He had to replace numerous parts (I believe one of the items was a broken safety). He also had to keep retightening the forearm because of excess rattle.

After purchasing a Remington 870P, I never had a problem.

The OP stated they wanted "one of great quailty" so I provided my .02.

scfast
09-08-12, 13:11
Like I said, it was based off of my experience of shooting them... whether it is the overall consensus or not. The Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 were both owned by a buddy at the time (before I actually purchased my own 870). He had to replace numerous parts (I believe one of the items was a broken safety). He also had to keep retightening the forearm because of excess rattle.

After purchasing a Remington 870P, I never had a problem.

The OP stated they wanted "one of great quailty" so I provided my .02.No need to defend yourself just saying it was a ballsy statement considering the history of both...The 590 would not be serving our country if it was not reliable or had durability issues and the 870 would not be in every patrol car either just my .02.

Weather the op wants a pistol grip stock will also play a big roll due to safety locations.

kmrtnsn
09-08-12, 13:16
Save yourself some headaches down the road and avoid any Remington with the term "Express" in the name.

Important differences between Remington 870 Police and 870 Express shotguns
The 870 Express has been an important part of Remington’s offering to the sporting market.
It was designed to meet a price point in the commercial market while still providing classic 870 functionality.
All of Remington’s 870’s have interchangeable parts, even if they have cosmetic differences.
It is also important to note that many manufacturers use the 870 Express platform for their Police / Combat models.
Without exception, every manufacturer who utilizes our 870 platform serves to upgrade their system to a more efficient, street worthy platform.
While the 870 Express is still an 870, the best pump shotgun on the market, there are some very important cosmetic and functional differences between it and the 870 Police.
To our customers in Law Enforcement, Military, Corrections, and Security, whose lives depend upon the unfailing performance of Remington shotguns, the Police modifications are of paramount importance. Synopses of the variances are provided below.

• 870 Police shotguns go thru a special 23 station check list – ranging from visual inspection, functional testing, test firing, and final inspection.

• All Police shotguns are assembled in a “special build area” at the plant in Ilion, NY. This section is secured and serves only to build LE and Military shotguns, with the same factory personnel working at that assignment each shift.

• All parts that enter the “special build area” are visually inspected by hand to ensure top quality and functionality.

• Due to heavy recoil in buck and slug loads, all 870 Police guns have a longer magazine spring which ensures positive feed and function.

• A heavier sear spring is used to generate a reliable, positive trigger pull between 5 and 8 lbs.

• A heavier carrier dog spring is used to ensure when the carrier elevates the shell, it will be held there until the bolt can push it into the chamber. This ensures positive feeding when using heavier payload rounds.

• Police shotguns do not have an ISS (Integrated Safety System) which is a locking mechanism on the safety of commercial shotguns. This type of locking mechanism can cause delay to an officer who needs the weapon but does not have the appropriate key. LE shotguns have the standard, proven, cross bolt safety.

• The fore-end on the Express model is longer and not compatible with many police shotgun vehicle racks.

• The Police shotguns utilize the heavy duty SPEEDFEED Stocks and Fore-ends.

• The Express model will not allow for the addition of an extension tube without physical modification to the tube and barrel, which can nullify the warranty.

• The Express model has a BEAD BLAST BLUE finish while the Police models utilize either High Luster bluing or Parkerization.

• The Express model utilizes a synthetic trigger housing while the Police models use a compressed metal housing.

• The Police shotgun barrel is locked down with a “ball detent” system in conjunction with the magazine cap vs. a lesser grade “synthetic magazine spring retainer” lock down as used on the Express system.

• The receivers used in Police guns are “vibra honed” to smooth out rough finishes and remove burrs before parkerization or bluing.

• Police shotguns use machined ejectors and extractors, as opposed to powdered metal cast which are utilized on the Express models.

Colt556
09-08-12, 14:04
You cant go wrong with an 870. I own three of them, and while I dont use them in a tactical situation, I use them duck hunting which is just as hard on them. I have submerged my 870s in fresh and salt water, gotten mud, grass, sticks, sand in the action, dropped them and used them for a boat paddle once. No jams. Ever. Not once.

Also, there are more tactical accessories available for the 870 than any other shotgun. There is a reason the 870 is the best selling shotgun of all time.

polymorpheous
09-08-12, 14:25
The length of pull on the Mossberg 590A1 is ridiculously long.
It also can't be customized to the extent as the Remington 870.

WARRIOR84
09-08-12, 14:53
I think the whole stay away from the express thing is a little over th top mine has never had a problem and fires anything I put in it. The police may have all that stuff done to it but the express is still a freaking tank. Who has broken a trigger guard anyway? Practically no one.

556A2
09-08-12, 15:35
Save yourself some headaches down the road and avoid any Remington with the term "Express" in the name.

[SNIP for Outdated Information]

The 870P vs 870E list is horribly outdated.

Parkerization, polymer trigger guards, machined extractors, and the heavy carrier dog return spring are the only real differences between an 870P & 870E Tactical these days. The "Virba-Honing" is just bead-blasting for a smoother finish, and the whole special build section does not justify the expense considering the simplicity of the 870.

Considering you can buy a machined extractor & heavy carrier dog return spring for $15, it makes much more sense to buy a 870E with an extension instead of the extra $200-$300 for a 870P.

kmrtnsn
09-08-12, 16:32
The 870P vs 870E list is horribly outdated.

Parkerization, polymer trigger guards, machined extractors, and the heavy carrier dog return spring are the only real differences between an 870P & 870E Tactical these days. The "Virba-Honing" is just bead-blasting for a smoother finish, and the whole special build section does not justify the expense considering the simplicity of the 870.

Considering you can buy a machined extractor & heavy carrier dog return spring for $15, it makes much more sense to buy a 870E with an extension instead of the extra $200-$300 for a 870P.

Mag tube extensions? You left out out easy and cheap that "upgrade" is.

KiloSierra
09-08-12, 16:40
Just a dumb beat cops opinion and experience here but having carried Mossberg's and Remington's and shot both extensively just get whichever one works best for you. My department bought 870 Express's until recently. It's had a few of the early ones break extractors but the newer MIM extractors hold up fine. The polymer trigger guard is at least as durable as the aluminum one. The only real concern is the parkerizing versus matte bluing. I carried a personal Mossberg 500 for several years and other then needing a new mag spring, it was in perfect working order when I sold it to another officer. Don't have a clue how many rounds it had through it because I bought it used. The aluminum trigger guard is a good upgrade for them because the plastic ones break frequently enough to cause concern but mine made it through six years of bouncing around in the trunk of my patrol car, having stuff hit it in the rack up front and being hit and bounced around on stuff when getting it out of the rack to use it.

ST911
09-08-12, 22:25
I maintain a bunch of Mossbergs. They are okay, if you heed certain cautions and PM. My own duty gun is a 590A1, though I have also had various Remingtons. Like I said, get a 590A1 if you can.

The 870, esp the 870P, is GTG with less bother.

The length of pull on the Mossberg 590A1 is ridiculously long.

Depends on the p/n. It's not any longer than the Remington. Buy the short/bantam/"tactical"/etc stocks for better LOP.

ARonBoard
09-08-12, 22:30
Remington 870.

polymorpheous
09-08-12, 22:34
It's not any longer than the Remington. Buy the short/bantam/"tactical"/etc stocks for better LOP.

My brother has a 590A1 and he is searching for an aftermarket stock setup.
Keeps coming back to the Mesa stock.

It's a good gun, but the 870 has way more options for customization.

Redmanfms
09-09-12, 04:26
No need to defend yourself just saying it was a ballsy statement considering the history of both...The 590 would not be serving our country if it was not reliable or had durability issues and the 870 would not be in every patrol car either just my .02.

Weather the op wants a pistol grip stock will also play a big roll due to safety locations.

Shotguns are rarely used in actual combat and the military acceptance criteria really isn't that impressive. The fact that police departments who make serious use of shotguns overwhelmingly prefer the 870 is a clue.

Our boat 500s were absolute junk. We rarely made it through a fam shoot without multiple malfunctions and one or two hard failures. These shotguns weren't shot very often, only carried by topside watches while pierside. They maybe saw 100 rounds a year and the TMs took pretty good care of them.

I will say though, my individual sample size of one 590A1 was positive. It worked for me until I sold it and bought another 870 Police.

montgomerygentryFan
09-11-12, 20:42
While I haven't had the chance to handle the following, it looks like a nice option both in terms of not only compactness for storage but ergonomics for usability with the option of LOP.

http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/FSS/01-01-61

Most of the folding stocks I've seen were either the typical top folding like by either ATI or Knoxx, or the usual AR adapter ones by Mesa and others.

This one it seems you can fold it sideways when stowing it and when fully deployed you still have the ability to adjust for LOP seeing as how it uses a standard AR stock.

59_Gretsch
09-12-12, 08:33
My experience is as more of a clay target/wing shooter but I've recently converted my old 870 Express into a tactical shotgun. If I were in your shoes again, I'd get a Remington 870P. It's a great gun and you can send it off to Vang Comp to have it worked over (ported, sights, etc.) at some point if you decide to. You could do the same with the Mossberg 590 but I prefer the 870 controls. Both platforms are reliable and modular. I think the 870 might have the edge in after market accessories (ex. MagPul furniture) but I could be wrong. In any case, either of the aforementioned scatterguns would be a great choice. It's a matter of personal preference regarding how the controls work.

I think Vang Comp still has a deal on a ported Mossberg for ~$600 if you decide to go for the 590.

556A2
09-23-12, 10:15
Mag tube extensions? You left out out easy and cheap that "upgrade" is.

All Tactical 870s come with an extension, and do not have the Express magazine system. The only exception is the 870E #25549 (18" Synthetic).

With that said, Remington is starting to offer 1-piece magazine tubes on Tactical 870s. Its too early to tell if its going to replace all extensions in the future.