PDA

View Full Version : budget light weight build

ramairthree
08-23-12, 15:32
plan is range use for training two daughters (grade school and middle school)

wanted light, wanted to build for cheap, and wanted parts that would be in stock and delivered fast.

upper was an on sale dpms complete light profile 16inch with carbine length gas system.

lower was a new frontier complete.

sights are inexpensive folding that came for free with an M&P on clearance from CDNN (target sports)

red dot and mount is an aimpoint comp clone that a buddy gave me for free when he bought a real one (he knew I would use it to train daughters with)

Spare parts are dangerous. Even just having some cheap ass parts lying around required me to do a cheap build so they would not go to waste.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/406.jpg

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/404.jpg

It did come in light. It is a little front heavy, but I have never had such a light lower to be honest. I have also gotten used to longer hand guards on my own time.

I am a little wary of the polymer lower and lower parts.
I just put a couple hundred rounds through it and it is sighted in, holding zero, shoots well, and will serve it's intended purpose just fine.

I am into it for about 525. I do think a better build for the money is possible if buying stuff in bulk. Buying individual parts, even from other lesser known or less raved about companies, puts me in the 5's from anyone that has stuff in stock, ready to ship.

The lowest priced complete ARs I see currently in stock anywhere would be about 610 plus tax to get out the door on DPMS oracles. I know what most think of DPMS. I did a 7.62 AR based on one of their AP4s about 8 years ago when there were far less options and it has held up fine. That's actually probably the perfect buy from someone that either is going to put a couple hundred rounds through it over the next twenty years.

Without buying parts in bulk, the minimum price I could do a single build recently would have been 269, plus 150, 95,plus 110 if you got the timing down perfect on some sales and free shipping from PSA. Which would put you a touch cheaper total for a better quality build than the DPMS. There are some other options to put you at that price point.

I did not get everything perfectly timed, and a PSA build is going to run me 730. Some are serious fans of their's. Many, and I include myself in this group, are far to accustomed to and fond of much better customer service. There is another forum where the exact same people always attack those that bad mouth PSA's customer service.

I am used to calling some place, saying I want to order the 068 cam, but the specs listed are for another cam, and the company saying sorry, that's a typo, I can send you it, it's the right one. Or ordering half a dozen 71 AMX parts, and one 70 AMX part, and getting a phone call saying- hey, did you make a mistake or is it an early build that used the 70 parts, just want to make sure you get the right order. Or calling and saying I can't find the front sight I want and the cart is also freezing up, and the person on the phone just doing my order for me.

So, when a company does not answer the phone or is busy on half a dozen tries over a couple of days, does not respond to the "contact us" link for over a week, you have to find an alternate email on a forum, they say they won't add what you want to your order and does not answer your other question finally, etc. I think they have crappy customer service. That is a personal opinion. It could have been a fluke, but so much similar stuff with others as well I don't think so. It is their business and they can run it how they want. And I can spend my money where I want.

Hopefully I made it clear what I consider good customer service and there will be no attacks here because someone has a different opinion. If you love them and order from them all the time and consider there service appropriate if you have an issue that is cool by me and I don't plan to call you names or mock you for it. Could be I am a demanding prick that is spoiled, but please reciprocate. I think dozens of other companies I buy way too much cool crap from that my wife hates have great customer service.

I will have pictures of that build when I finally get the upper. So far I have a complete lower put together. Good products at good prices. Great prices if your timing is perfect. That will be for my son's 3gun.

Anyways, in summary- for the current back order and price of things, this was a fast to source cheap build. With about a half a pound weight decrease vs. going with a stock ,complete weapon.

The lower has a life time warranty. Which cinched it for me to give them a try. From what I can find, it is the same mold as Plum Crazy ones, but with some improved characteristics to the polymer.

If I was doing it over again, and components from BCM or others I wanted were in stock, I would have done a more expensive build with a little less weight shaved. In fact, it is hard to actually call it a build as the cheapest, fasted way to get these components did not actually require assembly. Project is a better word.

I will get pics of the PSA build when it is complete. Over time it will get some new HGs and a new FSP.

KingCobra
08-23-12, 15:55
I know its just an in-frequent range gun, but do you really think the polymer lower was worth it? I'm sure a striped aluminum one from DPMS would have cost maybe 40$ more, and wouldt have really added any massive amounts of weight.

ramairthree
08-23-12, 16:27
I know its just an in-frequent range gun, but do you really think the polymer lower was worth it? I'm sure a striped aluminum one from DPMS would have cost maybe 40$ more, and wouldt have really added any massive amounts of weight.

nope. I thought I said it at the end, but if doing again would have saved a little less weight, spent a little more, and stuck with a forged lower. It saved half a pound, but is front heavy so no net handling improvement for the little girls. Another 75 bucks basically for just about any decent lower and complete kit would be worth it. Keep in mind its not a standard lower parts kit, its some polymer type accu-group thing to.

For whatever reason, at the time I decided to order it, I was (forgive the pun) weighing the weight savings as more important. 130ish for a complete OTD polymer lower vs. about 200$ stripped one and complete kit is worth the money. I ended up being wrong on the importance of the weight savings as the front heaviness makes it no easier for the kids to handle than a better balanced one that weighed a little more.

KingCobra
08-23-12, 16:37
if yoy did say it, I missed it :p

polymorpheous
08-23-12, 17:41
Likely overgassed and lightweight.
Not a good combination for children.
I hope it doesn't kick them around too badly.
You may be looking at playing with different buffers and action springs.
Maybe sell the DPMS if it doesn't work out and purchase one of the PSA models you spoke of.
Good luck.

n517rv
08-23-12, 17:52
Should be great to teach the kids hands on malfunction drills... :)

Sent from my Sprint EVO 4G LTE

ramairthree
08-23-12, 20:24
Likely overgassed and lightweight.
Not a good combination for children.
I hope it doesn't kick them around too badly.
You may be looking at playing with different buffers and action springs.
Maybe sell the DPMS if it doesn't work out and purchase one of the PSA models you spoke of.
Good luck.

yeah, this kind of falls into the seemed like a good idea at the time purchases. may end up another trunk gun and back to the drawing boards for the kids.
While they have great price points, there are other brands I am more itching to deal with.

ramairthree
08-23-12, 20:28
Should be great to teach the kids hands on malfunction drills... :)

Sent from my Sprint EVO 4G LTE

I can't say that.
200 for 200 so far.
Not enough to sneeze at,
but more than I have had with some other fresh out of the box more renown firearms.

It might make a real good dedicated lower for a .22 upper.
Why the hell I did not think to go that route to start with...

TehLlama
08-24-12, 01:24
Especially with that optic, make that a .22lr convo gun. For tons of reasons.

For newer shooters, quantity and enjoyment are the key parts, and a .22 kit or dedicated upper delivers that - cheaply. Limited recoil is a HUGE plus, as is the reduced concussion when firing. After about two bricks of .22 ammunition, the conversion kit has paid for itself (in rounds fired per dollar), and especially on a polymer lower, I'd recommend going that route.

ramairthree
08-24-12, 06:41
Especially with that optic, make that a .22lr convo gun. For tons of reasons.

For newer shooters, quantity and enjoyment are the key parts, and a .22 kit or dedicated upper delivers that - cheaply. Limited recoil is a HUGE plus, as is the reduced concussion when firing. After about two bricks of .22 ammunition, the conversion kit has paid for itself (in rounds fired per dollar), and especially on a polymer lower, I'd recommend going that route.

good recc. they have been through a ton of .22 in a crickett, an old Feather, their brother's 10/22, etc. This was going to be a learn the AR gun for them and I thought they were ready to 5.56. But to think of it I have seen a ton of grown ups shooting .22 ARs lately.