PDA

View Full Version : Ion Bond or plain SS

tb-av
08-23-12, 18:20
If you had a choice between BCM SS Ion Bond or plain SS is there any reason to not get the Ion Bond?

I thought I had seen this thread but can't find it now.

Also is the IB on the inside of the barrel as well? Seems like that wouldn't be but I'm really not clear.

thei3ug
08-23-12, 18:39
It is not on the inside of the barrel. It is purely a cosmetic finish. One that is very durable, but adds no performance advantage.

tb-av
08-23-12, 18:43
Thanks... is there any disadvantage to plain SS regarding humidity, water, general rust protection. I guess I'm thinking of areas under a hand guard or rail that are not attended to as easily or often.

Mjolnir
08-23-12, 19:07
It's not cosmetic. It's classified as a high performance thin film coating.

Mjolnir
08-23-12, 19:08
Stainless alloys can and do corrode.

VLODPG
08-23-12, 19:35
I have Ionbond on a Noveske SS barrel. It was worth it to me!

a0cake
08-23-12, 20:18
I have a number of BCM SS410 barrels with the Ionbond finish. It is outstanding - durable, and prevents corrosion. Well worth it if you're going to get wet and dirty with your rifle.

ETA: It's an exterior finish only.

TehLlama
08-24-12, 01:16
If it's going to see hard use (environmentally), or you're not skimping elsewhere on that rifle to afford the IonBond, then go for it [i.e. stock trigger or something - if everything else in there doesn't limit mechanical capability]

polymorpheous
08-24-12, 03:40
I hate shiny guns.
Added duribility too.
To me it is worth it.

Of course you could get the plain finish and send it out to get melonite.

thei3ug
08-24-12, 06:18
Stainless alloys can and do corrode.

Its not about whether or not they corrode or if ionbond is a "performance coating"... it's that the performance coating is protecting a non performance part of the barrel - the exterior. Something easily touched up with steel wool and a light coat of oil if need be.

If you're on the coast, it will make cleaning easier. If you want a black barrel, get one. there's no reason to not get them aside from availability, cost, or appearance. As mentioned, it's very durable, but it won't affect the firing of the rifle.

tb-av
08-24-12, 06:59
Ok, thanks guys... I think that's the route I'm going. sounds like the $40 is worth it.

erratic
08-24-12, 13:28
Good choice. I'd make that decision without any hesitation at all.

I have weapons with all sorts of finishes, and so far the ONLY ONES I've had rust crop up on were my stainless rifles. They sit right next to blued and parked metals, but nothing else has even a hint of rust. Sigh.