PDA

View Full Version : Marines reissue .45

kt1589
08-23-12, 20:26
Saw this article and thought I'd share it. I apologize if it has been posted already. If it works for our Marines protecting our freedom around the world, it's gotta work for our LEO's protecting our streets at home!

http://www.businessinsider.com/marines-reissue-1911-colt-45-because-the-9-mm-has-no-balls-2012-8

tony413
08-23-12, 20:38
yes its a repost, and no it doesnt matter what caliber they use really because they train a shitload and focus on making hits. 2MILLIMETERS of diameter is negligible.

Doc Safari
08-23-12, 20:39
Full disclosure: I love 1911's. I shoot them better than any handgun on the planet. But I prefer Glocks because you "don't have to do anything to them" (except the latest ones :D).

Although I applaud the decision to return to .45, am I mistaken in thinking that the 1911 is a pistol that has to be periodically fine-tuned and adjusted to keep running? Unlike more modern designs that for the most part work right out of the box doesn't the 1911 sort of come with an asterisk of "have gunsmith nearby?"

IIRC Larry Vickers has said something to that effect; correct me if I'm wrong.

RyanB
08-23-12, 20:42
You must have not gotten the memo about the frame cracking that deadlined most of the test guns at 12,000 rounds.

Doc, they are indeed maintenance hogs.

kt1589
08-23-12, 20:46
You must have not gotten the memo about the frame cracking that deadlined most of the test guns at 12,000 rounds.

Doc, they are indeed maintenance hogs.

I did see a post about the Colt Rail Gun cracking....but I haven't seen what 1911 they are going with.

goodoleboy
08-23-12, 20:51
I guess I might be in the minority here, but I am disappointed to hear that the Marines are adopting the 1911 again. I have owned a couple of 1911s in my life and have loved them. I shoot them well and I cannot dispute the energy delivered by that round. However, it has been my experience that the 1911 is a very complicated weapons system when compared to more modern options. Replacement parts are not designed to be dropped in, but require a high degree of hand-fitting to make them work. I don't really think the Marines thought this one out all that well. Are they willing to train that many armorers on the new platform? Are they willing to train all their Marines on the new weapon? Muscle memory is a bitch to unlearn. Do they have the capability to deploy the logisitcal train to maintain such a complicated platform???

Bad call all the way around.

RyanB
08-23-12, 21:01
The 1911 is fine for an enthusiast but a poor choice for institutions. I love my 1911s. I carry a Glock.

Doc Safari
08-23-12, 21:03
Why is it that the Glock seems to be a favorite with law enforcement but just never seems to be chosen as a service weapon for military?

saddlerocker
08-23-12, 21:11
Also its not the entire marines getting these 1911's.
Its basically just the special units.

Grunts arent getting these guns.

RyanB
08-23-12, 21:15
Why is it that the Glock seems to be a favorite with law enforcement but just never seems to be chosen as a service weapon for military?

No manual safety or second strike capability.

fastfive0
08-23-12, 21:16

I believe all military issue sidearms must have an external safety. Maybe someone else with more knowledge can verify this?

TAZ
08-23-12, 21:18
I love the Corps, but I too am of the opinion that this is a step backwards, especially if they are looking to field the 1911 fleet wide. If they want to do it for the Marsoc units then it will probably work out. If they field it fleet wide I think they as going to run into logistical issues as the round count goes up on the guns.

IMO they would be considerably better off if they stayed with a quality 9mm, fed it quality defensive ammo and tripled their range time.

brushy bill
08-23-12, 21:18

It is used by a variety of military organizations abroad and is/was used by SFOD (G22).

Keydet08
08-23-12, 21:27
If its not in a MARADMIN it's probably not happening...

1371USMCFL
08-23-12, 21:33
I love the Corps, but I too am of the opinion that this is a step backwards, especially if they are looking to field the 1911 fleet wide. If they want to do it for the Marsoc units then it will probably work out. If they field it fleet wide I think they as going to run into logistical issues as the round count goes up on the guns.

IMO they would be considerably better off if they stayed with a quality 9mm, fed it quality defensive ammo and tripled their range time.

From my understanding, the 1911/M45 are a MARSOC/Recon tool, not fleet wide.

ztug
08-23-12, 21:41
I guess I might be in the minority here, but I am disappointed to hear that the Marines are adopting the 1911 again. I have owned a couple of 1911s in my life and have loved them. I shoot them well and I cannot dispute the energy delivered by that round. However, it has been my experience that the 1911 is a very complicated weapons system when compared to more modern options. Replacement parts are not designed to be dropped in, but require a high degree of hand-fitting to make them work. I don't really think the Marines thought this one out all that well. Are they willing to train that many armorers on the new platform? Are they willing to train all their Marines on the new weapon? Muscle memory is a bitch to unlearn. Do they have the capability to deploy the logisitcal train to maintain such a complicated platform???

Bad call all the way around.

Really? I've owned Colt Government Models for over 30 years. I don't even know an armorer. I don't believe that the ones carried by GIs in 2 World Wars and a "Police Action" or two, saw any maintenance other than field stripping for the duration. I don't know how they screwed up the rail gun but when the government tested the original 1911 over 100 years ago, they had no failures in 6,000 even after dunking it in acid and sand and firing bad ammo.

CoryCop25
08-23-12, 21:51
The long and short of it is that 1911s need regular maintenance. There is no such thing as a maintenance free firearm. Glocks, H&K, S&W whatever.
A proper maintained 1911 will keep up with any of the above listed pistols. New recoil spring after about 1000 rounds and lots of lube and you have a fine running 1911 that you can count your life on. That being said, Glocks need a lot less maintenance and that's a fact. I am in charge of the up keep of our department Glocks and don't think for a second that I am like the Maytag repair man.

I like the 1911 and I don't even own one anymore. I think if squared away units with squared away armorers want to implement the 1911 then so be it!

Failure2Stop
08-23-12, 21:56
From my understanding, the 1911/M45 are a MARSOC/Recon tool, not fleet wide.

Correct.
Topic is already to the "dead horse" stage in another thread.