PDA

View Full Version : Another M&G vs Glock question

TheWaker43
08-23-12, 23:27
A little background, recently my brother and I have been getting identical firearms. So far we each have Springfield Range Officer 1911's and set up our AR's are pretty much interchangeable. I recently grabbed one of the Gen 3 FDE G19. Now my bro wants a 9mm. Over the past week or so we've checked out a few LGS and think hes got it down to the M&P 9c or a G19. We've both read everything we can, Youtube videos, whatever. It's pretty much flip a coin now. So I thought I would ask here. Would you get the G19 to keep with our standardized firearms or go with something different, the M&P?

Up1911fan
08-23-12, 23:59
So you two are really basing your gun buying decision's on what each other bought? I like the G19 but shoot my M&P9 better. I'd say M&P, but it sound's like there's gonna be another G19 added into the Bro-mance.

TheWaker43
08-24-12, 00:13
He's honestly leaning in the M&P direction also. And yeah, this is not all the firearms we own, just a couple we happened to both have and thought it might be a good idea to keep set up similar.

avengd7x
08-24-12, 00:30
both good guns, both have pros and cons. either way you can't go wrong, I'd lean towards the one that feels best to him

I've become a bit disenchanted towards my newer glock 19s due to erratic ejection, and my m&p9c has been accurate and reliable. and it's American

Rayrevolver
08-24-12, 07:52
Can you go to a range and shoot them side-by-side? Or even dry fire a bunch? Its hard to make an assessment without actually shooting both pistols.

For me it would be another G19. I just traded a M&P9Pro for a G34.

Sry0fcr
08-24-12, 08:00
He's honestly leaning in the M&P direction also. And yeah, this is not all the firearms we own, just a couple we happened to both have and thought it might be a good idea to keep set up similar.

If he's leaning in that direction that's what he should buy. Having matching guns shouldn't factor in IMO. Besides, I don't know if Glock fixed their ejectors & extractors yet.

wrecks30
08-24-12, 10:49
If he's leaning in that direction that's what he should buy. Having matching guns shouldn't factor in IMO. Besides, I don't know if Glock fixed their ejectors & extractors yet.

No they have not, I just traded my G19 test fire date 7/16/2012 for an M&P, Love it! I no longer have to dodge brass!

TheWaker43
08-24-12, 11:12
I do have to agree with that. My Glock is still pretty new and I have only ran a few boxes of Winchester NATO rounds through it. I have not taken any to the face yet and do not really notice it when I am shooting but I was watching my buddy when he was using it and noticed really erratic ejection patterns. And I hear it only gets worse, guess we will see.

Also my brother is so damn indecisive, he needs a little spurring on every once in a while. He originally went in to buy an M9.

okie john
08-24-12, 11:48
I'm a Glock guy, but you could toss a coin and not go wrong here. Each pistol has its problems and its fixes, but they're both solid pieces of kit.

Okie John

gsxr-fan
08-24-12, 22:20
I have a gen3 G19 and an M&P. Love them both; solid, reliable and accurate with no issues with either. Approx 2000 -2500 rounds through the M&P and 2000 rounds in the G19.

I recommend that you and your your brother shoot each gun side-by-side and see which you prefer. Either gun will serve you well and both has tons of after market support if you decide to upgrade your gun.

packinaglock
08-25-12, 08:55
I have both as well, both are great firearms. The only thing that I kind of prefer on the G19 is the slightly longer grip.

dauph
08-25-12, 11:07
I started off with Glocks and now only have one, gen4 g17. I haven't had any issues with it.

I sold off my g19 to get M&P and couldn't be happier with the M&P. I am looking to get a shield or compact for a daily carry. I may eventually sell off the g17 for another M&P in .45 but for now all my new handgun purchases are M&P's.

goodoleboy
08-26-12, 20:24
I have a Glock 19 that I use as my daily carry gun. Mine's a Gen-3 and shoots great. I have heard great things about the M&P platform, but I don't own one, so Ithe only basis of comparison is a couple of trips to the range with a friend who owns one. In the big picture, it is not a question of a good vs. bad pistol. Both are trusted platforms with solid reputations. The difference here is going to be ergonomics. Personally, I like the slide serrations on the M&P more than the Glock. On the contrary, I like the grip of the Glock better than the M&P. I also like the trigger on the Glock better than the M&P, but this is largely due to my familiarity with the Glock as opposed to the M&P.

If you could find a friend who owns an M&P, or a gunshop that will rent one, I would let him borrow yours and rent/borrow another one and go to the range and put a couple of boxes of ammo through both of them and let your friend arrive at his own conclusion based on his own experience.