PDA

View Full Version : Lance Armstrong to be stripped of his Tour De France titles...

Belmont31R
08-23-12, 23:58
Guess he gave up his defense, and said screw it.

Keep in mind he has been tested hundreds of times, and never ONCE tested positive. This doping allegation is all hearsay he said she said type of stuff. Under the circumstances, and proof after all this time I'd probably say to hell with them, too.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CYC_ARMSTRONG_DOPING?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-08-23-23-18-23

TehLlama
08-24-12, 01:28
In a sport where doping is that common, to be tested that many times and never pop is either exonerating proof, or evidence he beat their system so utterly that it's stupid anyway.

chadbag
08-24-12, 01:50
Remembering, (quasi-)government agencies have to justify their existence...

--

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-24-12, 02:27
That sport just got a whole lot smaller...

"He had a right to contest the charges," WADA President John Fahey said after Armstrong's announcement. "He chose not to. The simple fact is that his refusal to examine the evidence means the charges had substance in them."

So prove you are innocent for the n-th time or you are guilty, now that's American.

Belmont31R
08-24-12, 03:28

So prove you are innocent for the n-th time or you are guilty, now that's American.

Thats why the Constitution should be defended at all costs.

ICANHITHIMMAN
08-24-12, 04:31
Wow that's just outrageous, they have zero proof how can they do that? Why would they do that he? It's not like he is a bad boy.

Honu
08-24-12, 04:35
sure all it was he pissed off someone in the past who was in charge of some thing and they are going to get even

a bunch of BS he was tested and tested after the races no issues now this ?

sick of that kinda BS stuff

mallowpufft
08-24-12, 05:05
Thats why the Constitution should be defended at all costs.

I think USADA has been spending time with the TSA...

Tapatalk ate my spelling and grammar.

Quiet-Matt
08-24-12, 05:38
What a joke. Those numb nuts are going to keep on till its just a bunch of guys on a group ride. Reminds me of my work where you're required to meet the nearly un-obtainable numbers, and when you do well one month they investigate you to see how you lied and cheated.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-24-12, 07:22
You didn't win that....

Magic_Salad0892
08-24-12, 07:25
What a joke. Those numb nuts are going to keep on till its just a bunch of guys on a group ride. Reminds me of my work where you're required to meet the nearly un-obtainable numbers, and when you do well one month they investigate you to see how you lied and cheated.

That sounds EXACTLY like my last job.

Reagans Rascals
08-24-12, 07:37
You didn't win that....

+1 hahahahahah

the thing that gets me is.... there is no proof that he was a dopper, mounds of proof and passed drug screens that he wasn't, but yet they still continue... this is a classic witch hunt...

its lonely at the top... and others will do anything to see that you fall...

2 names come to mind from recent events.... Gibson Guitars... and Dr. Stanislaw Burzynski...

tb-av
08-24-12, 07:45
I seem to recall the French started all this.....

After Armstrong's second victory in 2000, French judicial officials investigated his Postal Service team for drug use. That investigation ended with no charges, but the allegations kept coming.

So basically they are saying they are too stupid to catch him but they are smart enough to know he did it.

I think they should go back and investigate Bernard Hinault. Steroids would explain his aggressive personality.

markm
08-24-12, 08:02
You didn't win that....

Someone else MADE that happen!

Reagans Rascals
08-24-12, 08:04
I love how the U.S.... can tell someone they are banned from competing in a foreign competition...

last I remember... it's called the "Tour De France".... not the "Tour De France brought to you by America"....

but I bet the U.S. sure as **** was all too eager to take the taxes out of his winnings....

Sensei
08-24-12, 08:06
I would not say that the USADA has no evidence since there is eye witness testimony fom at least 1 teammate. However, I do not feel that the testimony of 1 or 2 teammates who may have an axe to grind is sufficient to substantiate the charges. Especially since he passed so many drug tests.

I curious to know if USADA even has the authority to strip his titles? If so, can they make him surrender his prize money?

SHIVAN
08-24-12, 08:28
Those eyewitnesses are very weak.

He was tested hundreds (++) of times, he never popped for anything. Even when they had the BALCO chemistry, he cleared those tests too.

Not a single positive, or elevated test, in his entire history. They also tested in the off seasons, unlike NFL and MLB.

William B.
08-24-12, 08:52
You didn't win that....

Thanks for that! That's the best post I've seen in a while.

Abraxas
08-24-12, 09:06

Well said.

Voodoo_Man
08-24-12, 09:23
He should start his own cycle event series.

NWPilgrim
08-24-12, 09:50
There are some petty people out there that will stop at nothing to denigrate achievers. If only they had they character to apply that determination to their own improvement.

Lance has always been a class act and these bureaucrats cannot conceive of a person working that hard to excel.

glocktogo
08-24-12, 10:41
I would not say that the USADA has no evidence since there is eye witness testimony fom at least 1 teammate. However, I do not feel that the testimony of 1 or 2 teammates who may have an axe to grind is sufficient to substantiate the charges. Especially since he passed so many drug tests.

I curious to know if USADA even has the authority to strip his titles? If so, can they make him surrender his prize money?

They can ask.

USADA: "Gee Mr. Armstrong, would you please give back the money?"

Armstrong: "Let me think about it...Umm, no."

USADA: "Waaaaahhhh!!!!"

WTF are they going to do if he doesn't? Ban him for life? LOL

Bicycle racing has to be the whiniest sport on the face of the planet. :rolleyes:

tb-av
08-24-12, 11:50
Nike to stand by him

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/24/us-armstrong-sponsors-idUSBRE87N0P720120824

markm
08-24-12, 11:56
Bicycle racing has to be the whiniest sport on the face of the planet. :rolleyes:

It comes with the little shorts.

austinN4
08-24-12, 11:59
Tall poppy syndrome (TPS) is a pejorative term primarily used in the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other Anglosphere nations to describe a social phenomenon in which people of genuine merit are resented, attacked, cut down, or criticised because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_poppy_syndrome

NWPilgrim
08-24-12, 13:05
Tall poppy syndrome (TPS) is a pejorative term primarily used in the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other Anglosphere nations to describe a social phenomenon in which people of genuine merit are resented, attacked, cut down, or criticised because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_poppy_syndrome

Thanks for putting a name to it. Also known as "politics of envy". The following best illustrate my image of such folk:

"A related concept is that of a crab mentality in which members of a disadvantaged community are seen as undermining the success of other community members. The image is drawn from the observation that a crab clawing its way out of a bucket (or barrel in other versions) is pulled back down by his fellows."

J-Dub
08-24-12, 13:49
First off... I am a HUGE professional cycling fan. I have watched the Tour every year since 2004, this summer was the first year i missed A STAGE of the race. I also love the spring classic races.

So i know a bit about cycling (i also ride too).

Here's the facts. Evey single contender that Lance beat has tested positive at one time or another. So, personally I dont care if he doped, because everyone else was doing the same. Jan Ulrich, Ivan Basso, ect.

I respect the man. He was a top triathlete before he switched to road cycling, and he was good at that before cancer. And then he fought that and kicked ass afterwards.

People want to see superhuman performances, but get butt hurt when people do whatever it takes to make them happen. (same as baseball)

J-Dub
08-24-12, 13:56

haha right.....

Cyclists are probably the most mentally tough athletes on the planet. Why you ask? Because how good you are is determined by how well you can suffer. You must be able to except pain, and embrace it.

Have you ever ridden a bicycle 120miles, over two mountains, in one day? Have you done that for 3 weeks, every day, averaging over 20mph?

No. You havent, because you couldnt. All you can do is make fun of the clothing they wear (which if you got off you ass and put your money where your mouth is you'd figure out pretty damn fast that the clothing serves a purpose. Even more so than all the tactical bullshit that people wear to go to the gun range.)

VooDoo6Actual
08-24-12, 14:29
Schadenfreude.

bubba04
08-24-12, 14:39
trend seems to be guilty until proven innocent.

glocktogo
08-24-12, 15:44
haha right.....

Cyclists are probably the most mentally tough athletes on the planet. Why you ask? Because how good you are is determined by how well you can suffer. You must be able to except pain, and embrace it.

Have you ever ridden a bicycle 120miles, over two mountains, in one day? Have you done that for 3 weeks, every day, averaging over 20mph?

No. You havent, because you couldnt. All you can do is make fun of the clothing they wear (which if you got off you ass and put your money where your mouth is you'd figure out pretty damn fast that the clothing serves a purpose. Even more so than all the tactical bullshit that people wear to go to the gun range.)

Sensitive much? :)

Seriously, I never said it wasn't a physically demanding endeavor, because it is. I guess my question is, with all the mental and physical toughness required, why is there so much whining, sniping, cheating and personal vendettas? We've been listening to this for well over a decade and it's pretty much ruined the sport altogether, at least in the US. I have zero need to "get off my ass and put my money where my mouth is, because bicycle racing has zero appeal to me. I couldn't possibly care less how tough those guys are.

As for the clothing, you might want to recheck that. I didn't make the comment about the shorts, someone replying to me did. Since you brought it up though, I'm sure the clothing keeps them cool, dry and diaper rash free. You cannot deny however that between the funny aero helmets, spandexy shirts & shorts, coupled with the funny pedal shoes, that they don't look gayer than parade day in San Francisco! :D

J-Dub
08-24-12, 16:07
As far as cheating, "if you aint cheating, you aint trying" comes to mind. These guys are fighting for contracts and sponsors, millions of dollars are on the line. I guess its "whatever it takes". I would rate the doping in cycling about the same as baseball 7yrs ago. The whining is mainly from the French who are just pissed they suck at their own grand event.

And actually I dont think cycling has ever been more popular in the USA. Heck we've got a major stage race going on right now in Colorado (which i think i'll go watch a stage on saturday in boulder). We have more contenders in pro cycling than we've ever had....

And cyclists look about as gay as most of the "tactical" posers with their cool $400 Arcteryx softshell and sweet $150.00 pair of TAD pants....not to mention their chest rigs and drop holsters. But I digress, its all in the eye of the beholder.

Gayness also comes to mind when I see the new mma fad....ya wrestling around on the ground nut to nut with another dude is soooooo not gay...:rolleyes:

glocktogo
08-24-12, 16:42
As far as cheating, "if you aint cheating, you aint trying" comes to mind. These guys are fighting for contracts and sponsors, millions of dollars are on the line. I guess its "whatever it takes". I would rate the doping in cycling about the same as baseball 7yrs ago. The whining is mainly from the French who are just pissed they suck at their own grand event.

And actually I dont think cycling has ever been more popular in the USA. Heck we've got a major stage race going on right now in Colorado (which i think i'll go watch a stage on saturday in boulder). We have more contenders in pro cycling than we've ever had....

And cyclists look about as gay as most of the "tactical" posers with their cool $400 Arcteryx softshell and sweet $150.00 pair of TAD pants....not to mention their chest rigs and drop holsters. But I digress, its all in the eye of the beholder.

Gayness also comes to mind when I see the new mma fad....ya wrestling around on the ground nut to nut with another dude is soooooo not gay...:rolleyes:

So I guess we could say that top level cycling attracts people willing to exchange their integrity for fame, sponsors, trophies and millions of dollars? I see nothing there to find admirable. Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt may be world class athletes, but I find nothing heroic or admirable about them. Same goes for Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Ben Roethlisberger, Randy Moss, and a hundred other athletes that people foolishly look up to. Their athletic prowess doesn't amount to squat when they use it as cover for being shitty human beings.

I guess I'm off the poser hook. I've never owned any of the "tactical" poser stuff you alluded to. You'd be lucky to find anything at all in my closet that cost more than $50. I do have a plate carrier and body armor, but those have a business purpose (LEO). When I spend to much money, it's usually on bulk reloading supplies. :D

An Undocumented Worker
08-24-12, 16:56
The short and simple is, that the UCI has already stated that the USADA doesn't have the jurisdiction to strip Lance of his TDF wins.

tb-av
08-24-12, 16:56
If they do take his awards and have no proof in all these years... if I came in 2nd and they tried to give them to me... I would tell them shove them up their ass and make sure everyone in the industry knew about it too.

Lance Armstrong is actually one of the few sports role models that people can look up to as an example to stay dedicated to the things you believe in.

tb-av
08-24-12, 16:58
@AUW... that was my understanding as well... but you turn on the TV or radio and all you hear is LA has been stripped of his wins...

tb-av
08-24-12, 17:02
So I guess we could say that top level cycling attracts people willing to exchange their integrity for fame, sponsors, trophies and millions of dollars?

Hell you can say that about anything that involves large sums of money. All sports, music business, corporate business, broadcasting, politics.... that's just life.

glocktogo
08-24-12, 17:40
Hell you can say that about anything that involves large sums of money. All sports, music business, corporate business, broadcasting, politics.... that's just life.

I guess that's possibly one of many reason's I'm not filthy stinkin rich then! ;)

usmcvet
08-24-12, 18:24
Those eyewitnesses are very weak.

He was tested hundreds (++) of times, he never popped for anything. Even when they had the BALCO chemistry, he cleared those tests too.

Not a single positive, or elevated test, in his entire history. They also tested in the off seasons, unlike NFL and MLB.

He was tested on the way to the hospital with his wife in labor!

**** all of them. He won, I freaking watched 2004 and on.

I never gave a shit about the Tour until I got leukemia. Then I read Armstrongs books. They truly helped me and I know they've helped millions of people world wide as has the Livestrong foundation. I got to meet Lance for a moment a few years ago just before one of his twitter rides. I did traffic control.

He is the only celebrity I was interested in shaking hands with.

Holly shit, $150 for pants. Cycling is now at its all time high here in the US, because of Lance.

His support of cancer survivors makes him a world class stud in my eyes. I just went to his website and bought some more Livestrong bracelets.

I have personal experience with witch hunts. I read his response and find myself thinking I could easily see myself saying the same thing. It's time to turn the page.

I bet they get his trophies right after Reggie Bush returns his Heisman.

chadbag
08-24-12, 18:30
I think the USADA or whatever it is called needs to realize that the only thing they are doing in this, given the facts as have been publicized (no failures, dropped criminal investigations due to lack of evidence, etc), is that they are turning the populace off to them. They are kind of like the "Boy Who Cried Wolf" in a certain way. People will just turn up their eyes next time the USADA goes after someone.

--

Sensei
08-24-12, 18:52
I think the USADA or whatever it is called needs to realize that the only thing they are doing in this, given the facts as have been publicized (no failures, dropped criminal investigations due to lack of evidence, etc), is that they are turning the populace off to them. They are kind of like the "Boy Who Cried Wolf" in a certain way. People will just turn up their eyes next time the USADA goes after someone.

--

Yep. I noticed that my feelings are more negative towards the USADA after this latest news.

Honu
08-25-12, 00:40
love how the post office is now thinking of trying to get back its sponsor money from him !!!!

yeah think any and all post I will do through UPS now ;)

usmcvet
08-26-12, 10:17
I don't tweet. But opened an account when Lance was on his way to my little town for a Twitter Ride. I got this in email and thought I'd share a link.

http://lancearmstrong.com/news-events/lance-armstongs-statement-of-august-23-2012

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-26-12, 10:51
haha right.....

You wrote the whiniest response Ive ever seen in reply to someone who called your sport whiny....all in an attempt to prove that bicyclists dont whine. Bravo.