PDA

View Full Version : I have a chance at an older Italian 92F Beretta...should I?

brickboy240
08-24-12, 11:36
A friend of mine is trying to unload a few guns and one he had in his collection stood out to me.

He has an earlier 92F Beretta 9mm that was made in Italy. It has the early wood checkered grips with the "PB" gold emblem on one side and the Beretta trident logo in gold on the other grip panel.

The pistol has some holster wear and everything seemed good and tight and the bore was very clean. It looks as if it was carried quite a bit and shot very little. (police trade?) No major dings or rust or deep gouges....what we'd probably call "good honest wear" only.

He has owned it for maybe 5 years or so and said it ran great.

He is asking 375 bucks for the thing.

Are the Italian made 92s more collectable/desirable than the later US made 92s?

Was there some design change from this earlier model that makes it harder to get parts or mags? Any reasons to avoid the earlier 92 Berettas?

I have borrowed and shot several 92 Berettas in the past and they always shot well. Since it is a chunky and large gun...I have no intentions of carrying it but maybe for a back up or range gun. If anything, the long sight radius and soft recoil do make the 92 Beretta a good range gun.

Any opinions or warnings would be appreciated....I have always wanted a 92 Beretta for the collection.

Thanks!

-brickboy240

Talon167
08-24-12, 12:24
I am not sure if the Italian ones are worth more than the US ones, but $375 seems like a good price regardless. It’s already worn so it’s not like it’s a collectible in mint condition. I’d say buy it and shoot it.:dirol:

Norinco
08-24-12, 13:45
I wouldn’t say the Italian Berettas are more valuable, perhaps more desirable. Many people think the Italian ones have better fit/finish and I agree. I had one for a while and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Beretta is not my first choice but for his asking price I would scoop it up.

brickboy240
08-24-12, 14:56
Yeah, I carry a Glock 19 and that and my P228 will always be my "go to" defensive 9mms but every Beretta 92 that I have ever shot was a soft kicker, accurate and very reliable.

For the price...I might add it and use it as a casual plinker and range gun.

I cannot see any huge quality differences between the US and Italian made 92 Berettas either.

Kain
08-24-12, 15:01
Bought an Italian made 92SB about a year ago for $350, looks like it was a police gun at some point, a little wear and some dings, but a fine, fine, shooter and one of my favorite range guns. Are they that much better then the US made ones? Triggers might be a little better, fit and finish might be a little better, but still for the money I think it would be a really good buy. Don't see you losing money on it for sure. If you want it buy it is all I can say.

cunroe
08-24-12, 18:32
"...Italian made 92SB...a fine, fine, shooter and one of my favorite range guns."

I have an SB as well, for a long period of time it was the only 9mm I had in my safe. It's still my backup nine (G19 primary). I like the quality of the weapon, great shooter and just a nice weapon to have. As mentioned already, for that price it may be worth picking that 92F up.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r14/cunroe/BerX2.jpg

Ian111
08-24-12, 18:40
It seems like a decent deal.

I'd change out the locking block for the current version. The newer ones are supposed to last 15,000 - 20,000 rounds as long as you change the recoil spring every 4000 rounds or so. Speaking of which I'd get a new recoil spring as well.

John Fritz
08-24-12, 18:57
Buy it and shoot it. Seems like a decent deal to me.

If you're looking for a collectible I'd try to find something different.

goodoleboy
08-24-12, 21:32
It all depends on how well you can shoot the platform. I have my father's 92F Beretta he retired with from the NCSHP. I also have the license plate to match the gun. On the other hand, I am not fond of the Beretta platform. I will preface this by stating that I am not fond of DA/SA triggers, nor am I fond of full-size 9mms with 16 round capacity.

If my father had not carried that gun for so many years and won a state title with it, it would be for sale. But I keep it as a tribute to him.

filthy phil
08-24-12, 21:38
with a price point under $400 rest assured that if you don't like it you can always get your $ back.
just like $400-something glocks
$ in the bank
:cool: