PDA

View Full Version : SIG SAUER P229R Review

plouffedaddy
08-24-12, 14:16
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMG_0532.jpg

The SIG P229 was the first gun to be made exclusively in New Hampshire rather than Germany. US vs German made SIGs are a controversial subject in the SIG community but I don't care where the gun was made as long as it performs as I expect it to; and this gun does.

I currently have about 600 rounds this gun and below are a few of the pros and cons that I've found.

Pros:
-Reliable. This gun has never had a malfunction of any kind with any ammo I've fed it
-Accurate. The gun is easy to shoot well; especially in SA mode
-Ergonomic. The gun, with E2 grips, just feels great in the hand
-The Nitron finish on the slide is holding up well to holster wear
-Rail for attaching lights/accessories
-Aftermarket parts/holsters/support are widely available
-Standard DA trigger is smooth with little to no stacking
-SA trigger breaks crisply
-2x 15 round Mec-gar mags came with this gun

Cons:
-Cost. SIGs are generally overpriced relative to their competitors in my opinion
-Finish on the barrel is wearing more than I would expect for a gun of this quality
-The SA trigger has a good bit of take-up from the reset point (SRT greatly helps this however)

The video below shows some shooting from the 12m line, rapid fire from the 10m line with a shot timer to demonstrate the controllability of the pistol, a tabletop review and size comparison with the G19, and chronograph testing with Winchester Rangers, Gold Dots, and Federal HSTs:

229R Review Video Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ9d9KPic1w&feature=g-upl)
Chronograph numbers:
-Winchester Ranger 115gr JHPs: 1136fps, 329 ft/lbs energy
-Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHPs: 1189fps; 389 ft/lbs energy
-Federal HST 124gr +p JHPs: 1170fps; 377 ft/lbs energy

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG1354.jpg

gsxr-fan
08-24-12, 21:51
Cool video! Appreciate the time and effort that goes into making one!

Omega Man
08-24-12, 23:14
I had the same pistol. I had pretty much the same experience with it. I wish i still had it.

spartakis252
08-25-12, 00:16
I'll start off by saying I didn't watch the video yet...

My first question, is this the E2 version or the current new standard model?(that will probably be answered in the video since there will be a E2 on the slide if it is that model)
Second question, also possibly answered in the video, what kind of holster are you using for this model?
The reason I ask is because I have the E2(which was a short run) and I haven't found a holster that fits the newer slide that well. Most seem to loose, therefore have a lot movement.

Also on another note, the finish wear on the barrel can be reduced a little bit by over greasing the barrel, or at least that worked for me when I cared about that. I use MilComm TW25B. Although I've came to terms with the fact that tools are ment to be used not look pretty. But I agree for the price you'd expect something better.

gunrunner505
08-25-12, 08:11
That was really well done. Nice review, appreciate you putting that together.

Grand58742
08-25-12, 16:15
Nice review. I have the 229 SAS model with the SRT. Came from the factory that way and I had Sig put the E2 grip on afterwards. The thing runs like a champ, but I honestly haven't worked it that hard yet. I prefer the SAS line myself as that rail just looks...out of place on a concealment pistol. Call it aesthetics if you want, but I think the SAS models just look nicer.

If you are thinking about that SRT trigger, I would say go for it. I'm probably going to refit all my Sigs that way except for my West German marked 226. It's something that you need to try, but I think you will probably like it overall.

plouffedaddy
08-25-12, 18:03
I'll start off by saying I didn't watch the video yet...

My first question, is this the E2 version or the current new standard model?(that will probably be answered in the video since there will be a E2 on the slide if it is that model)
Second question, also possibly answered in the video, what kind of holster are you using for this model?
The reason I ask is because I have the E2(which was a short run) and I haven't found a holster that fits the newer slide that well. Most seem to loose, therefore have a lot movement.

Also on another note, the finish wear on the barrel can be reduced a little bit by over greasing the barrel, or at least that worked for me when I cared about that. I use MilComm TW25B. Although I've came to terms with the fact that tools are ment to be used not look pretty. But I agree for the price you'd expect something better.

The gun was made in 2010 and there's no E2 on the slide.

I'm using a Don Hume 715 holster (it's in the video :D ). I love Don Hume 715s and 721OTs---great values for what you get IMO.

If you are thinking about that SRT trigger
I have a gun with the SRT and like it but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money---nice to have though.

SigSlave
08-25-12, 19:11
They don't engrave E2 on the slide anymore.

One thing you can do to reduce the barrel wear on the sides of the barrel is to take a jewelers file and break the sharp machining marks inside the slide. As far a wear marks on the top of the barrel, it is nearly impossible to reduce wear there because of the nature of the way Sigs lock and unlock from battery.

spartakis252
08-25-12, 21:12
The gun was made in 2010 and there's no E2 on the slide.

I'm using a Don Hume 715 holster (it's in the video :D ). I love Don Hume 715s and 721OTs---great values for what you get IMO.

I have a gun with the SRT and like it but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money---nice to have though.

I watched the video(also liked and subbed):D
I actually used the Don Hume 715 for my G17, I have no clue why I didn't think of that for this gun. Thank you for the suggestions.

My gun, according to the case, is also from 2010(July I think). But mine is 4964 guns younger(going by serial #). It came with the SRT and the SRT, short reset trigger and the short reach trigger. Other than that, its the same gun.

In conclusion, great review of a great gun. Thanks for taking the time to make the video.

denn1911
08-25-12, 21:55
Thanks for sharing your review. The P229 with E2 grip feels great to me. I have tens of thousands of rounds through several P226's but not the P229. I think that the SRT trigger system is an improvement, due to the short reset. Thanks again for your info.

ozy
10-03-12, 16:35
dave , great job on the video review ,as always.
have been on a sig kick lateley , reuslting in a 229 scorpion, 229 elie dark, p938, and a 226 enhanced elite.
my expereince with all the sig pretty much correspond ith yours- super reliable , very accurate and easy to shoot.
in a matter of 3 weeks ,i already have north of 500+ rounds in each. great pistols ,all in all.

Salamander
10-03-12, 23:13
My P229R is a slightly earlier version (September 2009) and has a different slide design (the fold goes all the way down the sides of the slide and not just the front half) and slightly different grips, the frame looks identical. It says "Sig Sauer Exeter NH, frame made in Germany." Because it's a California gun, mine came with two 10 round magazines. I will admit to buying it on impulse, got a really good price on it, but I'm happy with it.

I completely agree with your assessment; I have about 1,200 rounds (mostly WWB 115gr FMJ, some Corbon 115gr +P JHP) through mine without a malfunction, I really like the ergonomics and the factory I-dot sights are pretty good. I'm also seeing the barrel wear that others have mentioned, but no big thing, it's a tool not a safe queen.

I use it primarily for a woods gun, the heavier DA first pull feels a little safer when clambering over rocks or fallen logs on steep slopes in the heavily forested coast ranges. It's fine in that situation and I've had no corrosion issues even in our more than slightly rainy winters and with occasional ventures into coastal salt spray zones.

For the relatively infrequent occasions when I carry it all day in town I've learned to wear my heavier belt, the weight of the aluminum-framed gun (32 oz empty) becomes more of an issue with a lighter belt that is fine for a Glock. Not really a problem as long as one uses the right carry gear though.

White.Lightning
10-04-12, 07:38
Video has been removed?

KarbonChemist
10-04-12, 09:18
This is one of the guns on my short list!

Ironbutt
10-04-12, 09:30
I have an older 229R (2009) in .40 & I've always liked it. It handles the .40 better than my G23 & I much prefer the Sig DA/SA trigger & ergos. My 229 has the standard trigger & I've always thought it's not that bad, but my new 226 (9mm) has the SRT. Big difference!

White.Lightning
10-04-12, 09:32
The Sig P229 is, personally, my favorite handgun. I was real close to buying a P229 Scorpion when I saw one in the local gun shop. It looked so bada$$.

KarbonChemist
10-05-12, 14:55
I'm just trying to pick the Exact version...

Big Bronze Rim
10-05-12, 16:32
As much as I want to like new Sigs, I just wish Sig's QC was better than it is.

fowler
10-05-12, 16:54
I like the 229 and its on my want list. I still have the old 228 which has given good service. The 4 new Sigs in last 2 years that I have bought are 100% reliable. The 2022,220r,Mk25,239 all made in 2011-2012. I am pleased with there product. Paying 800-1000 for a Sig is not out of line for a top tier pistol its on par with other good auto's like the Colt,kimber,hk,Browning. These are not poly molded Taurus,Ruger cheap pistols.