PDA

View Full Version : Update:Poll added: Ambi Mag release need opinion

420ollie
08-24-12, 23:03
Up date:Guess which mag release I am getting.

I was looking into a ambi mag release. I am looking at the Norgon and Troy ambi mag releases. I have a Bad Ass ambi safety and Magpul bad lever on my setup now. I want one that will work for me and my setup.

What are the pros and cons of each? Can you give me an opinion if you have a similar setup or use one of these releases?

I hate to shell out the dough to find out I dont like the one I bought. :suicide:

Paladin801
08-25-12, 01:12
I've heard good and bad about the Norgon and Troy. I'm a lefty and really have enjoyed my Norgon. I like the BadAss too. I heard too many real deal folks talk about the Magpul and glad I stayed away from it. Too many problems. I know this probably doesn't help you much but I have had no problems with the Norgon. Good Luck!

VIP3R 237
08-25-12, 01:19
The troy is decent, to me it was easier to depress in comparison to the norgon. The KAC is very good also. However my favorite model is the one being produced by Sig, unfortunately Sig will not sell it separately, so try to find a Sig own who wants to get rid of it :D

viperashes
08-25-12, 03:04
The troy is decent, to me it was easier to depress in comparison to the norgon. The KAC is very good also. However my favorite model is the one being produced by Sig, unfortunately Sig will not sell it separately, so try to find a Sig own who wants to get rid of it :D

I agree about the Norgon being a little stuff to operate. It's clearly the nicest LOOKING ambi, and it doesn't have anything that rides against the receiver as the Troy looks like it does. It's easy to depress with an empty magazine, but any rounds in the mag and the sheer weight and pressure make it difficult to use unless you basically either push or slap the bottom of the magazine while you try to drop it. It's a training issue, but it's not a huge deal. I'm basically doing the same thing. I've set my gun up to be completely ambi. The last piece is an AXTS raptor that I plan to spring for very soon.

http://i.imgur.com/YJSFm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nPTRO.jpg

Rodman24
08-25-12, 05:40
I have the KAC and it functions very well. It's the ugliest of the bunch, but that's of no concern to me.

viperashes
08-25-12, 08:21
Point being, pretty should follow functional. As far as function:

KAC>Troy>Norgon

Pretty: Norgon>Troy>KAC

It just depends on what your goals and needs are. All in all, the Troy is middle of the road.

skullworks
08-26-12, 04:57
I've read about the Troy unit failing due to the pin breaking after extended use. Not a problem for right-handed shooters who just want the ability to go lefty when needed, but for a left-handed shooter who will use it all the time it may be an issue.

I don't have any information regarding how common/uncommon this failure is though; I just wanted to make you aware that there are occasions of the pin failing.

Animal_Mother556
08-26-12, 08:27
I too am torn between the Troy/Norgon/KAC ambi release. I am sick of my reloads taking extra time because of not being able to use my trigger finger to release the mag (like all the cool right handed folks)

I am leaning towards the KAC. Does it work with the BAD lever?

viperashes
08-26-12, 10:37
I too am torn between the Troy/Norgon/KAC ambi release. I am sick of my reloads taking extra time because of not being able to use my trigger finger to release the mag (like all the cool right handed folks)

I don't believe it will. The Norgon does beautifully. I can post a pic if needed.

420ollie
08-26-12, 13:45

How is the sig ambi mag release and what does it look like?

I agree about the Norgon being a little stuff to operate. It's clearly the nicest LOOKING ambi, and it doesn't have anything that rides against the receiver as the Troy looks like it does. It's easy to depress with an empty magazine, but any rounds in the mag and the sheer weight and pressure make it difficult to use unless you basically either push or slap the bottom of the magazine while you try to drop it. It's a training issue, but it's not a huge deal. I'm basically doing the same thing. I've set my gun up to be completely ambi. The last piece is an AXTS raptor that I plan to spring for very soon.

http://i.imgur.com/YJSFm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nPTRO.jpg

Thats a nice setup bro. I was planing to get a ambi lower from ar15.com too but I bought a aimpoint recently. That will have to wait for a while.
It is a nice setup and runs about $275 base and it is ATXS IIRC. How much is it for the one you are talking about?

cop1211
08-26-12, 13:54
I'm a lefty and have had all of the models mentioned.

I only run the Troy now, haven't had any issues, easy and instinctive to use.

Rodman24
08-26-12, 14:14

AM - It will not work with the BAD lever.

VIP3R 237
08-26-12, 14:19
How is the sig ambi mag release and what does it look like?

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/jasonsarII002.jpg

Like this!

Sanpete
08-26-12, 17:06
Have used the KAC and Troy, but not the Norgon.

I thought the Troy was too stiff, almost useless.
The KAC used a lower portion of your left index finger / shooting finger, and was much more comfortable to me.

420ollie
08-27-12, 17:16
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/jasonsarII002.jpg

Like this!

That looks cool. Will it work with the Magpul BAD lever? Now I need to find one.

VIP3R 237
08-27-12, 17:28
That looks cool. Will it work with the Magpul BAD lever? Now I need to find one.

No it will not work with the BAD lever.

seb5
08-27-12, 17:40
I'm a lefty and have had all of the models mentioned.

I only run the Troy now, haven't had any issues, easy and instinctive to use.

Plus this post one time. The only issue I've had with the Troy is I have lost 2 pins that held on the button. They were both early models with over 2,000 rounds through them. It hasn't happened in quite awhile but it's something to keep an eye on. Troy replaced both without issues.

DaveK
08-28-12, 08:01
I use a Norgon mag realease and really like it. I put it on a POF lower with an ambi safety selector and the AXTS Raptor. I am very pleased with this setup.

militarymoron
08-28-12, 08:50
i have used the norgon for years, and also have the troy and KAC. i prefer the norgon over both of the others, and the troy over the KAC. i have to bend my index finger for the KAC and didn't find it as ergonomic.

420ollie
08-28-12, 14:43
I have finally bought a ambi mag release. Hopefully it gets here before the end of the week with my aimpoint.

Now can you guys guess which release I chose. I will post pics with the new goodies after I get to have some fun.

There will be a Poll added.

denn1911
08-28-12, 15:14
I've used the Norgon and the Troy in the past, and my preference is the Norgon. It worked best for me. Presently, I do not have either on my rifles.