PDA

View Full Version : Peliliu

Seagunner
08-25-12, 04:34
For those who don't know or don't care. After some down time, Marines were preparing for their next campaign in the Pacific in Aug of 1944. Peliliu which was supposed to be a very short campaign. Lasted more than 2 months. 1st Marine Division suffered 3946 casualties in the first week. Something to remember as we approach 2000 Kia in Afghanistan in 10 years. No disrespect for our boys intended...just respect for the old guard

austinN4
08-25-12, 08:19
I have dived around Peleliu many times and walked parts of the island during surface intervals. It was heavily littered with war wreckage, both ours and theirs - tanks, airplanes, MG emplacements, and so on - and I am sure it still is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Peleliu

"The Battle of Peleliu, codenamed Operation Stalemate II, was fought between the United States and the Empire of Japan in the Pacific Theater of World War II, from September–November 1944 on the island of Peleliu, present-day Palau. U.S. Marines of the First Marine Division and later soldiers of the U.S. Army's 81st Infantry Division, fought to capture an airstrip on the small coral island."

"Major General William Rupertus, USMC—commander of 1st Marine Division—predicted the island would be secured within four days. However, due to Japan's well-crafted fortifications and stiff resistance the battle lasted over two months. In the United States, it was a controversial battle because of the island's questionable strategic value and the high casualty rate, which was the highest for U.S. military personnel of any battle in the Pacific War. The National Museum of the Marine Corps called it "the bitterest battle of the war for the Marines".

Reagans Rascals
08-25-12, 08:35
I personally believe the Battle of Peleliu and the surrounding islands was the absolute worst conditions mankind has ever endured..... that was by far the closest any living man has ever come to hell...

I will come out and say it right now, nothing our troops have faced in the last 50 years even compares to the sheer inhumanity and strife seen on those pacific islands.... yes they have triumphed through some very terrible situations... but none even come close to Peleliu

My Grandfather fought in every major pacific island battle, including Peleliu and Guadalcanal.... as a flame thrower operator..... he did over 19 amphibious landings, in row boats... and the stories that man has told me dwarf every single thing I've ever done in my entire life in comparison...

The HBO series "The Pacific" does an amazing job of portraying the awfulness endured there...

literally a different breed of man to have actually endured that and returned home sane...

montanadave
08-25-12, 08:53
I have an older friend who went ashore at Peleliu. He doesn't talk about it very often, but on those rare occasions when he has shared some of his experiences, they are not pleasant memories.

SteyrAUG
08-25-12, 13:48
I personally believe the Battle of Peleliu and the surrounding islands was the absolute worst conditions mankind has ever endured..... that was by far the closest any living man has ever come to hell...

I would suggest Auschwitz was probably worse, at least at Peliliu you had a rifle and a chance.

That said, give me the ETO anytime over the Pacific. I fully appreciate that the weather killed many people at Bastogne and places like that, but I cannot imagine having to dig a hole at places like Peliliu, Tarawa, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, etc. much less actually have to fight under those shitty conditions.

That said, I wouldn't want to be anyplace like Stanlingrad or Leningrad either.