PDA

View Full Version : Need BUIS & Scope Mount advice for SPR...

Rmplstlskn
08-31-06, 20:30
Just completed a trade for this Ameetec-built SPR with 18" mid-length Sabre Defence fluted SS 1/8 barrel. Also an Ameetec chromed BC with standard Ameetec Bolt. The pics below are from previous owner and it looks exactly the same now but less BUIS and light. I now have my ACOG TA11-D on it until I get a more suiting, higher magnification scope for it.

Can the experienced and knowledgable members here advise me on what BUIS I should use on this rifle.

What is an excellent 1" scope mount for this rifle. I see LaRue has several one piece units but I am ignorant of what type to get. I do thing the 1-piece mounts are probably the easiest and most repeatable zero...

What about a SPR-friendly sling? Vickers?

Also, what is the proper buffer weight in this mid-length rifle? It has an LMT "H" in it now...

Extractor has a "BLUE" insert spring. Is this correct? Should I add a D-fender or other o-ring device?

Thanks in advance for any advise you give me on this new project. I finally have a decent platform to test my 75g and 77g handloads from... :D

Rmpl

http://www.wwyd.org/images/AR15/SPR-right.jpg

http://www.wwyd.org/images/AR15/SPR-left.jpg

http://www.wwyd.org/images/AR15/SPR-front.jpg

Derek_Connor
08-31-06, 20:39
I am partial to Troy BUIS.

Also partial to the Larue SPR/SPR-e scope mounts.

Rmplstlskn
08-31-06, 21:10
I am partial to Troy BUIS.

Also partial to the Larue SPR/SPR-e scope mounts.

What is the intended purpose comparison of the Larue SPR -vs- SPR-e?

Thanks
Rmpl

Derek_Connor
08-31-06, 22:26
The difference is more than likely dictated by the eye relief on your optic. and if shooting nose to charging handle is important.

You first find out what optic you are going to buy, find out the eye relief it requires, and then purchase the mount accordingly.

The more precision based, higher magnified scopes usually land themselves into the standard SPR/1.5 larue mount.

The smaller magnified, 1-4x magnified, reflex shooting scopes (short dot, NF 1-4x, IOR) seem to land themselves into the SPR-extended, since those require a bit more of eye relief due their purpose..

This is not set in stone though, I have scene plenty of 1-4x optics mounted in the regular SPR mount. It is somewhat shooter's preference...

other small variables include BUIS, if you need your optic to clear a folded rear BUIS, sometimes your objective might be so large it wont clear your handguard, and then you could opt for the Larue 1.93 Mount...

hope this helps, and might have done more confusion than good :)

VA_Dinger
09-01-06, 00:44
This is an easy one.

Scope mount: LaRue - no matter what optic you decide to go with.
BUIS - Troy or the new MI's.
Sling - Vickers/Blue Force Gear adjustable two point
Sling mounts: MI, Vltor, or Daniel Defense

Every one of them is the absolute best available and competitively priced.

Cold Zero
09-01-06, 07:47
Has anyone done a review of the new MI's?

thanks.

Robb Jensen
09-02-06, 06:25
Larue scope mount (30mm), TROY flip up rear sight (will fit under an ACOG).

Check out the Leupold 1.5-5x Mark 4 MR/T 30mm scopes.

After the Area 7 3gun Championship this coming weekend I'm sending my Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5x 30mm scope to Leupolds Custom Shop to get the M2 (external 1/2MOA clicks) turrets like the Mark 4 MR/T already has. :D

C4IGrant
09-02-06, 08:46
Has anyone done a review of the new MI's?

thanks.

MI didn't change their rear, but did come out with a new front flip. I posted some info awhile back on them.

C4

C4IGrant
09-02-06, 08:48
SPR's are for long range engagements IMHO so I like at least a 3-9 or 2-10 scope on them. So with that in mind, go with the standard SPR mount and either a TROY or ARMS #40L for a rear BUIS.

If you have an H buffer in it, then you are good. I would change out the blue insert and go with a black one and a Crane O-Ring.

C4