PDA

View Full Version : Neil Armstrong dead at age 82.

Belmont31R
08-25-12, 14:18
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/25/13478643-astronaut-neil-young-first-man-to-walk-on-moon-dies-at-age-82?lite

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/08/25/astronaut-neil-armstrong-dies-at-82/

Outrider
08-25-12, 14:23
That is sad. R.I.P.

Honu
08-25-12, 14:28
Sad :(

JBecker 72
08-25-12, 14:40
Bummer. :(

VooDoo6Actual
08-25-12, 15:37
RIP.
He had some quirky unique perspectives about interviews & talking about what he has done.
I'd be happy to make it to 82 w/o pooping & peeing all over myself.

What an awesome life to get to live.

Thanks for your service Mr. Armstrong.

SteyrAUG
08-25-12, 16:11
I think he will remain one of a handful of men to step foot on the moon for the next century.

LOKNLOD
08-25-12, 16:12
Check out the original URL (copied from Belmont's post):

http ://usnews. nbcnews. com/_news/2012/08/25/13478643-astronaut-neil-young-first-man-to-walk-on-moon-dies-at-age-82?lite

Some jack-wagon at nbc news thought Neil Young was the first man on the moon...

spr1
08-25-12, 16:40
We are diminished.

jaxman7
08-25-12, 17:21
One of my heroes growing up.

One giant loss for mankind.

-Jax

Heavy Metal
08-25-12, 17:55
I think he will remain one of a handful of men to step foot on the moon for the next century.

If a government does not do it,a private comany will by 2030. SpaceX will soon have about all the necessary capability in-house sans Lander. They are only a couple years from putting a man into Orbit. Their capsule is Deep-Space capable and they are well into developing a rocket that with two launches can replicate the performance of a Saturn V.

Hell, Musk intends to put people on Mars within 20 years and far be it from me to poo-poo him. So far, everybody who has doen that has ended up with serious egg on thier face.

But RIP Neil Armstrong.

PS Neil Young did get pretty high in 69.

SteyrAUG
08-25-12, 23:18
If a government does not do it,a private comany will by 2030. SpaceX will soon have about all the necessary capability in-house sans Lander. They are only a couple years from putting a man into Orbit. Their capsule is Deep-Space capable and they are well into developing a rocket that with two launches can replicate the performance of a Saturn V.

I'm not saying we won't be able to do it, just that it won't be done much. Kinda like going to the North Pole, for most people it just isn't worth the effort.

On a related note, I was sitting in a pizzeria tonight near a table of people in their early 20s. Surfing his iphone one of them announced that "Neil Armstrong died." The other three people looked at him quizzically and then one asked "What team did he play for?"

:rolleyes:

LHS
08-26-12, 00:39
On a related note, I was sitting in a pizzeria tonight near a table of people in their early 20s. Surfing his iphone one of them announced that "Neil Armstrong died." The other three people looked at him quizzically and then one asked "What team did he play for?"

Sweet jesus... That should be criminal.

obucina
08-26-12, 00:53
I'm not saying we won't be able to do it, just that it won't be done much. Kinda like going to the North Pole, for most people it just isn't worth the effort.

you shoulda decked them the same way Neil did to the jackwagon who said the landing was fake!

3 AE
08-26-12, 01:14
It was "Buzz" Aldrin. He wasn't about to take any shit from a phony reporter. He definitely "manned up" at 72!

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-october-16-2002/moment-of-zen---aldrin-punch

obucina
08-26-12, 01:20
It was "Buzz" Aldrin. He wasn't about to take any shit from a phony reporter. He definitely "manned up" at 72!

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-october-16-2002/moment-of-zen---aldrin-punch

i screwed the pooch on that one!

but, as the legends pass away, some d-bag is going to try his hand at revisionist history since the primary info sources are no longer here....

SteyrAUG
08-26-12, 02:47
Sweet jesus... That should be criminal.

It's hard for me to fathom that it was before they were born, that said I still knew who the **** John Ford was. That there is apparently several generations now who mostly don't know who these guys are is stunning to me.

Their names should be synonymous with Columbus and Magellan. To go to the moon with the primitive equipment and rinky dink procedures we had in place makes them IMO the bravest explorers of all time.

They should be on the short list of greatest men who ever lived.

Redmanfms
08-26-12, 03:43
I've had the honor of meeting both Armstrong and Aldrin; I simply don't know what to say.....

Redmanfms
08-26-12, 03:48
It's hard for me to fathom that it was before they were born, that said I still knew who the **** John Ford was. That there is apparently several generations now who mostly don't know who these guys are is stunning to me.

Their names should be synonymous with Columbus and Magellan. To go to the moon with the primitive equipment and rinky dink procedures we had in place makes them IMO the bravest explorers of all time.

They should be on the short list of greatest men who ever lived.

The director?

Or did you mean Henry Ford of Ford Motors?

Mjolnir
08-26-12, 05:59
Godspeed, brother!

SteyrAUG
08-26-12, 11:29
The director?

Or did you mean Henry Ford of Ford Motors?

Crap, I meant Henry Ford, thanks for catching that.