PDA

View Full Version : My Survival Medicine Blog

MedicPatriot
08-25-12, 15:55
First, hello everybody. I'm new to this particular forum. I'm not here to advertise at all, but I figured I would make my first post hopefully something useful. I'm a Paramedic who is into the whole SHTF thing and have been working on a blog hopefully to help other people out.

http://www.medicpatriot.blogspot.com

Check it out and hopefully you will find some of it useful. I will post more of the topics in this forum when I get the chance.

Straight Shooter
08-25-12, 23:41
Hey, thats a hellava good blog, sir.
LOTS of good info there and I did learn some things myself.
THANK YOU!!

HighSpeedDreams
08-26-12, 00:50
Can't tell you how much I appreciate the time you took to put this together. Extremely helpful information!

MedicPatriot
08-30-12, 10:39
Thanks for the good words. I posted a few things recently.

When I get the time I will post some of the individual blog posts in the First Aid forum for easy reading.

lucasAB
11-18-12, 17:40
Hey, I just wanted to tell you how much I love your blog!

I've been studying field/combat medicine for the past year in preparation for SHTF, and to improve myself as an operator.

A lot of medical textbooks, or online materials I read are usually written from a non-military/non-SHTF perspective. But not your blog... you cover medical information in the perspective that individuals won't always have EMS, and will have to care for patients after the bullets have flown.

Thank you so much. Please continue to write. And I will continue to read.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!

chuckman
11-18-12, 17:54
Nice. I would talk with a lawyer about if you need some disclaimer. Some day through email ask me why this is important. That said, nicely done and thoughtful.

Shoulderthinggoesup
02-01-13, 22:34
Nice work. Enjoyed it!

Cardiac Nurse
02-03-13, 20:02
Will be checking it out.

RogerinTPA
02-03-13, 21:41
Great info, and is what exactly what we needed...well done.

LMT Shooter
02-04-13, 04:27
Great stuff, thanks for the link. I'll be reading your blog & recommending it to others.

Cardiac Nurse
02-06-13, 07:58
Read through the various blog posts and bookmarked for future reference. Just renewed my AHA ACLS/BCLS Saturday and appreciate the "keep it simple" yet thorough approach of the posts for unexpectedly needed emergent medical care as well as basic prep/supplies for such care. Thanks.

Litpipe
02-10-13, 08:55
Are there any courses I could look for that would train/teach medical response to trauma wounds? I get refreshers on basic cpr/aed stuff as a cop, but nothing more.

I work in an area with a level 5 trauma center that is 10min from everywhere by helicopter. But if it should take longer, or I'm pinned down with an injured partner/citizen I'd like to be able to do more than shove a tampon in a bullet entry.

What kind of classes should I keep an eye out for? Are they offered outside of the medical community?

Thanks

68W
02-11-13, 00:43
Hey I like your blog format and the content is very good stuff. You have a very practical approach to teaching these skills and concepts. I read your latest entry from early Dec regarding what to stockpile for SHTF. I like your list and agree with nearly all of it 100%. I think people cannot understand how much gauze can be used up in acute trauma or post-traumatic injury care. I like your preferred list of antibiotics too, I'd choose some differences in the antibiotics placed in the highest priority category but all views in that sphere are easily argued.

I just had one suggestion for you to clarify in that article, for safety's sake. You said to keep the antibiotics past exp dates as they will still work for a long time. I agree, I would keep them long past the date, with one clear exception: DOXYCYCLINE. This class of drug, the tetracyclines, is known to oxidize into an unsafe toxic compound with age. This is one drug(s) that the expiration dates should be respected for safety. I like doxy, it is a very versatile antibiotic that can cover a good variety of microbes, unfortunately the stock needs to be rotated.

I really am not trying to bust your balls, just trying to help out. I really liked your work. Keep on keepin' on.