PDA

View Full Version : S&W model 19 dull nickel

Spectro
08-25-12, 17:58
I've got 30+ year old 19 with factory nickel finish that has basically been in a pistol bag for almost 20 years. Many of my guns, including this one were left in my dad's possession at times due to my travels here and abroad years ago.

The nickel plating on the cylinder and the majority of the frame looks pretty decent but the finish on the barrel and upper backstrap is a dull smokey finish. I have rubbed and rubbed with a good gun cloth with no improvement. There is no flaking or cracking of the finish so I'm confused as to what could have caused the finish degradation. My father said he didn't use anything which could of caused this as his nickel Python always looked pristine.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anybody else has experienced the same issue with Ni-plated Smiths. I am considering having it refinished by S&W and I'm on the fence whether to have it refinished in nickel or one of the other finishes they offer.

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg505/mantul82/ae33b11e.jpg
http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg505/mantul82/6c0069fc.jpg

brushy bill
08-25-12, 18:49
Sorry bro, but from your photos I really can't see what you're concerned about. Finish looks great to me.

Spectro
08-25-12, 19:00
Sorry bro, but from your photos I really can't see what you're concerned about. Finish looks great to me.

Yea, I was afraid the iphone pics wouldn't do the job too well. I guess the pic of the backstrap would more closely represent what I'm talking about. I may get the real camera out tomorrow and retake the images.

ikor
08-26-12, 03:16
Not uncommon. Try a jeweller's cloth...the ones that have the small cloth impregnated with red jewellery rouge sewed to the larger chamois-cloth used to wipe it off. Any place that sells silver tableware should have them IIRC.

Nephrology
08-26-12, 17:53
If it's electroplated nickel then its possible that the copper layer underneath the nickel may have oxidized. If that's the case it will need to be refinished if it bugs you that much.

Spectro
08-26-12, 22:23
Not uncommon. Try a jeweller's cloth...the ones that have the small cloth impregnated with red jewellery rouge sewed to the larger chamois-cloth used to wipe it off. Any place that sells silver tableware should have them IIRC.

I'll give this a try. I think my wife may have one of these cloths lying around somewhere. I have an old tube of Wenol polish somewhere in the garage as well. I will probably take the grips off first to try it on a hidden area. Thanks

If it's electroplated nickel then its possible that the copper layer underneath the nickel may have oxidized. If that's the case it will need to be refinished if it bugs you that much.

Bug me? Yea, kind of like a dented fender I guess. It won't keep me from shooting it, but I would like to know what caused it more than anything. Doesn't really show in the pics, but it looks like the barrel and the frame have two different finishes. Thanks

RFB
08-26-12, 22:40
If you are not set on S&W, you might like the Robar NP3 finish.

Close to a satin stainless.

Spectro
08-26-12, 23:06
If you are not set on S&W, you might like the Robar NP3 finish.

Close to a satin stainless.

Thanks for that. They get some really good reviews on their work. Have you used their services?

RFB
08-28-12, 00:26
I am old, so when I say yes, its been a while (close to 25-30 years ago), but Robbie has always done great work.

I have personally had work done, and handled firearms of friends that he has done. Excellent jobs.