PDA

View Full Version : Dealers & gun show gunsmithing

VLODPG
08-25-12, 20:12
Today I was on a gun show road trip to PA as a form of weekend entertainment when I ran into a fine establishment called Precision Firearms of Hagerstown MD.

Looked like a nice selection of quality name parts for sale (Vltor,BCM,Geissele,DD,& other quality recognizable name brands) six or more tables & closed displays cases.

While looking at the vast display of goodies I hear the unmistakable sound (follow link for the sound) http://hark.com/clips/vwqpmrtycc-industry-dremel-grind-soft-object

Yes, it was a dremel! What was the "gunsmith" doing with it you may ask?

He was grinding the head of a muzzle brake pin flush on a pin job.

I thought I have seen it all, now a no weld perm pin job! While was was approaching their tables, I heard the sounds of hammering but thought nothing of it until Mr Dremel was fired up.

The whole scene reminded me of the days of computer shows where the Asian dealers would assemble parts into a computer while you wait. Was it a coincidence, that this guy appeared to be Asian too?

The best part is as I came back down the next side of the isle, the guy was drilling through a flash hider into the barrel for another pin job. He has the barreled upper receiver in some hobby grade vise & the end of the barrel is cradled on the inside of his left elbow pulling up while his right hand is running the electric drill pushing down hard enough to see the barrel flex. (Paging Darwin to the WECSOG Isle)

Now I remember why I rarely buy used parts that others have bubba'd & want new prices for/Use a gunsmith who charges by the hr & is a perfectionist for the jobs that are outside my skillset.

On a positive note, there was a dealer who had AR's & accessories on his table.Complete BCM ,DD & Colt carbines,uppers,Troy sights,Aimpoint & Eotec optics (All quality/No Garbage) & was knowledgeable of the products.

PS: The beef jerky was tasty!

Iraqgunz
08-25-12, 20:31
Remember this. These clowns are everywhere, not just gun shows and they will be the ones that people take their stuff to to get worked on. In the end you have no idea what harm they may have caused your weapon.

Today I was on a gun show road trip to PA as a form of weekend entertainment when I ran into a fine establishment called Precision Firearms of Hagerstown MD.

Looked like a nice selection of quality name parts for sale (Vltor,BCM,Geissele,DD,& other quality recognizable name brands) six or more tables & closed displays cases.

While looking at the vast display of goodies I hear the unmistakable sound (follow link for the sound) http://hark.com/clips/vwqpmrtycc-industry-dremel-grind-soft-object

Yes, it was a dremel! What was the "gunsmith" doing with it you may ask?

He was grinding the head of a muzzle brake pin flush on a pin job.

I thought I have seen it all, now a no weld perm pin job! While was was approaching their tables, I heard the sounds of hammering but thought nothing of it until Mr Dremel was fired up.

The whole scene reminded me of the days of computer shows where the Asian dealers would assemble parts into a computer while you wait. Was it a coincidence, that this guy appeared to be Asian too?

The best part is as I came back down the next side of the isle, the guy was drilling through a flash hider into the barrel for another pin job. He has the barreled upper receiver in some hobby grade vise & the end of the barrel is cradled on the inside of his left elbow pulling up while his right hand is running the electric drill pushing down hard enough to see the barrel flex. (Paging Darwin to the WECSOG Isle)

Now I remember why I rarely buy used parts that others have bubba'd & want new prices for/Use a gunsmith who charges by the hr & is a perfectionist for the jobs that are outside my skillset.

On a positive note, there was a dealer who had AR's & accessories on his table.Complete BCM ,DD & Colt carbines,uppers,Troy sights,Aimpoint & Eotec optics (All quality/No Garbage) & was knowledgeable of the products.

PS: The beef jerky was tasty!