PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6933 for 1st and only AR?

Enoch
08-25-12, 21:00
Hi guys. Yes I'm doing the new guy typical post... sorry. :rolleyes:

I'm sure I could use the search function and eventually discover an opinion, but I have a small child, I work like a dog, and I know you guys are smart and willing to share your experience with a newbie. :)

I'm not new to guns but I'm new to the AR platform. I have several handguns, an AK and a couple milsurps.

I've convinced myself that I need an AR ( I really just want one), for the fun of shooting carbine classes and SHTF situations. It seems to me that an SBR has a lot of advantages for urban warfare and does not give up a lot of accuracy for 100 yd type shoots. I was originally planning on a build, but then I found the Colt 6933.

Seems like I'd save little with a custom build, but have the warranty and customer service of a Colt if I went this route.

That being said, there seems to be some credible discourse about the reliability of a carbine vs a mid-length or full-length gas system. Being an SBR, the Colt 6933 just exacerbates the issues concerning the carbine gas system.

I really have no opinion because I am so new but I would appreciate opinions. I guess this is a discussion about tactical advantages of an SBR vs the mechanical reliabilty of a longer gas system.

JoshNC
08-25-12, 23:06
Colt 6933 is exceptionally reliable. Buy it, you will be glad you did.

Magic_Salad0892
08-25-12, 23:23
The Colt Commando is a fine simple rifle.

However, if you plan to deck it out with aftermarket stuff, consider the KAC 11.5'' SBR. It already comes with everything you could possibly want.

Enough about that.

A SBR nowadays can be made to be as reliable as a full size 20'' rifle.

I run SBRs exclusively and have helped friends get theirs running, and have learned a few things along the way.

- VLTOR A5 system will help you smooth things out. Usually heavier buffers do, but that system especially.

- Beefed up extractor, and possibly an O-Ring. Non issue on the KAC system, as their extractor is proprietary. BCM sells an upgrade kit.

- LMT Enhanced carrier helps bleed off excess gas, the altered cam angle will help from an operational standpoint.

IMHO those are essential for any hard running AR SBR.

But that's just my opinion. I am a civilian enthusiast, and have never worked in a professional (LEO/Military) setting with an SBR. Do some reading around here, do a little research, and see what you need.

What I mentioned above, are just things to look into.

SteyrAUG
08-25-12, 23:27
There are a lot of guys using the 6933 who shoot way more than you and I combined who have no issues with the gas system.

If I had to go down to a single AR, I'd probably lean towards a 6520 but most people wouldn't because of the fixed carry handle. The 6933 would be my second choice.

JoshNC
08-26-12, 11:13
The Colt Commando is a fine simple rifle.

However, if you plan to deck it out with aftermarket stuff, consider the KAC 11.5'' SBR. It already comes with everything you could possibly want.

Enough about that.

A SBR nowadays can be made to be as reliable as a full size 20'' rifle.

I run SBRs exclusively and have helped friends get theirs running, and have learned a few things along the way.

- VLTOR A5 system will help you smooth things out. Usually heavier buffers do, but that system especially.

- Beefed up extractor, and possibly an O-Ring. Non issue on the KAC system, as their extractor is proprietary. BCM sells an upgrade kit.

- LMT Enhanced carrier helps bleed off excess gas, the altered cam angle will help from an operational standpoint.

IMHO those are essential for any hard running AR SBR.

But that's just my opinion. I am a civilian enthusiast, and have never worked in a professional (LEO/Military) setting with an SBR. Do some reading around here, do a little research, and see what you need.

What I mentioned above, are just things to look into.

The Colt 6933 runs reliably right out of the box. No need for all the additional items you mention.

ST911
08-26-12, 11:55
I'm sure I could use the search function and eventually discover an opinion, but I have a small child, I work like a dog, and I know you guys are smart and willing to share your experience with a newbie. :)

Happy to help, but do make time for the search button anyway. Plenty of hard working parents here, too.

I've convinced myself that I need an AR ( I really just want one), for the fun of shooting carbine classes and SHTF situations. It seems to me that an SBR has a lot of advantages for urban warfare and does not give up a lot of accuracy for 100 yd type shoots. I was originally planning on a build, but then I found the Colt 6933.

An SBR offers comparatively better size efficiency, portability, and concealability than its larger counterparts. Choose ammunition for it wisely and with your ranges and missions in mind, then verify function with your chosen load(s).

If you travel, and intend to travel with a rifle of some sort, an SBR requires some extra attention to legal compliance.

Buy a quality unit from a reliable manufacturer. The Colt 6933 is a great choice. BCM SBR offerings are as well. I am running the latter, without the need for aftermarket "improvements" and "enhancements." Such things generally aren't. The guns running specialty apps, suppressors, etc may benefit from some mods, but not as much as the aftermarket wants you to believe.

That being said, there seems to be some credible discourse about the reliability of a carbine vs a mid-length or full-length gas system. Being an SBR, the Colt 6933 just exacerbates the issues concerning the carbine gas system.

The differences in gas system types are most noteworthy on a scale of life-cycle rather than individual-outing. There is nothing unreliable about carbine/7" gas if the gun built around it is quality. Don't get wrapped around this axle. It isn't worth it.

Enoch
08-26-12, 12:09
Thanks for the replies guys. It is a Colt after all. I figured I could probably build an SBR a little cheaper, but I figured the warranty, customer service, and reputation were worth the additional cost.

I know it's a personal choice, guess I was just wondering if you guys feel the advantages of the 11.5" platform (ie weight, maneuverability, etc) are worth the BATFE tax and wait time, over something like the LE6920 that could be had for a similar price with MP accessories like hand guard, foregrip, etc.

I'm not interested in being tacticool, would probably eventually add a red dot and a light, that's it. Is it possible to add a light with standard hand guard that the 6933 comes with. If not, and if I decided to add a foregrip, how easy or difficult is it to fit an aftermarket hand guard to an 11.5" barrel. I've read that some required shaving of the fsb, and I don't think that's something I'd be interested in doing.

SteyrAUG
08-26-12, 13:31
I'm almost positive the 6920 and 6933 use the same M4 handguards so I don't think you'd have to shave anything to install railed handguards for a VFG.

I'd personally take the 6933 over a 6920 just for the weight consideration.

Magic_Salad0892
08-26-12, 18:45
The Colt 6933 runs reliably right out of the box. No need for all the additional items you mention.

No need. But with high round counts, they will help keep the gun running longer, and if you ever intend to run the gun suppressed they'll definetely help. That's all I meant by that post.

Magic_Salad0892
08-26-12, 18:47
There are a lot of guys using the 6933 who shoot way more than you and I combined who have no issues with the gas system.

If I had to go down to a single AR, I'd probably lean towards a 6520 but most people wouldn't because of the fixed carry handle. The 6933 would be my second choice.

You're right. But I'm willing to bet that they'll all tell you that a heavier buffer, and stronger extractor springs will help ANY CAR gas AR run longer.

And I dig the 6520. :D

SteyrAUG
08-26-12, 19:38
And I dig the 6520. :D

You were bound to be right about something eventually.

:D

Redbeardsong
08-26-12, 21:48

I'm not new to guns but I'm new to the AR platform. I have several handguns, an AK and a couple milsurps.

Seems like I'd save little with a custom build, but have the warranty and customer service of a Colt if I went this route.

I really have no opinion because I am so new but I would appreciate opinions. I guess this is a discussion about tactical advantages of an SBR vs the mechanical reliabilty of a longer gas system.

Clyde Armory just got in a bunch of Agency Trade-in LE6933s: $1049 with a Condor bag.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=401044009953681&set=a.161357763922308.35414.100001442578193&type=1&theater

KJQ6945
08-27-12, 10:28
The 6933 is a great weapon. If your wanting a Colt don't forget about the monolithic upper varieties.

Le6943.....11.5 inch
Le6944.....14.?
Le6945.....10.3

They're a couple hundred more, but no need to outfit with rails and backup irons. Might be a little tougher to locate though.

PlatoCATM
08-27-12, 10:34
I would jump on the deal from Clyde's if I was even considering another AR purchase.

Enoch
08-27-12, 11:50
Clyde Armory just got in a bunch of Agency Trade-in LE6933s: $1049 with a Condor bag.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=401044009953681&set=a.161357763922308.35414.100001442578193&type=1&theater

Thanks for the heads-up. I tried the link but I don't have Facebook so I couldn't access the link. I went directly to Clyde's website but couldn't find the LEO turn-ins.

g5m
08-27-12, 17:08
Just call them and ask.
That's a deal.

Reagans Rascals
08-27-12, 19:46

do you mean just the A5 buffer, or the spring and buffer combo?

What weight A5 buffer do you recommend? H3, H4?

everyusernametaken
08-27-12, 21:32
Thanks for the heads-up. I tried the link but I don't have Facebook so I couldn't access the link. I went directly to Clyde's website but couldn't find the LEO turn-ins.

It's on the home page of their website now.

Magic_Salad0892
08-28-12, 05:56
do you mean just the A5 buffer, or the spring and buffer combo?

What weight A5 buffer do you recommend? H3, H4?

Spring and buffer combo. I prefer the standard A5 buffer. Most carbines aren't overgassed enough to need an A5H3, or A5H4. As far as I know. But I've seen 5 SBR guns (Not counting my duplicates of the same gun) run this system.

I'd suggest starting with A5 standard. And work your way up if you need it.

I like the Sprinco GREEN M16 spring.

Redbeardsong
08-28-12, 06:07

Sorry, folks. Here's a better link:

http://clydearmory.com/used-le6933.html

JoshNC
08-29-12, 01:35
Henderson Defense has NIB factory fresh 6933s for $1049.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4sale.cgi?read=151129

08-29-12, 14:33
That's an excellent price. May have to get another one.

davidjinks
08-29-12, 22:30
I'm not sure how to describe "Tactical" advantages of an SBR. I do know that with my MK18 (I know not the same thing) its lighter, more maneuverable than my my standard 16" rifles.

The 6933 will be my next SBR. I say get it, or 2, and have no worries.