PDA

View Full Version : My first AR, ColtLE6920MP-B

fuzzynutkila
08-25-12, 21:03
I have been doing a lot of research over the last month and to make a long story short, I decided to purchase the Colt LE6920 MOE edition.. It was that or the M&P 15 MOEMid length. I am a newbie to AR's and have rented afew at the range I goto. It was so much fun to shoot even though the DPMS was basically fallling apart from wear and tear. I know I paid way too much for it but being a resident of the crappy state of Maryland, I had limited options. My first thought was to buy from Buds online, like I did for my Mossberg, it was sent to a local FFL dealer and a simple purchase. BTW, for some reason Cheaper than Dirt said they couldn't ship guns to Maryland. This was surprising considered I could goto store around the corner and get the same thing. That being said, Buds said I had to select a model that came with a 20rd clip or less due to the law of nothing over 20rd mags. I called and asked if they could just swap out the 30 for a 20 but they said they can't do it. Given their limited selection of Colts with 20rdmags I had to go another way....Yep, that's right, RETAIL AND BEYOND. Fortunately the local gun stores around here said they could swap out the mag for a 20rd., only catch being the $1350 price tag. I talked the guy down to $1300, still about $300 too much! I could have gotten it for a little less from one store than the other but the other had it in stock which is always a plus. So Ipurchased it and about 3 days later I'm looking at the receipt and it read Colt SP6920.... Well, everything I researched was LE not SP so I immediately looked up the SP to see what the differences were. They are the same rifle, same price at this store and the only difference was the roll mark. The SP had Colt Manufacturing or something like that. The LEsaid Colt Defense. I went back and told them they sold me the wrong one and they switched it out after I had to pay another $10 for police check. That was fine me because if I'm going to spend that much $, I better get the one I want. Sorry no pic yet. I have learned quite a bit reading the newbie forums. I am trying to focus now on what I need to have at home on purchase day to possibly goto range that day, if not next Saturday at the latest..so far I need a cleaning kit, lubes and solvents.

krypto
08-25-12, 23:03
The Colt will come with a cleaning kit, you'll just need a few things like solvent and lube. I'd suggest some 20w50 synthetic motor oil and some light grease. You also need some cotton patches, old T-shirts work good and Viva paper towels too. Some plastic picks, and some old toothbrushes and pipe cleaners will come in handy as well.

Congrats on the new rifle. You made a great choice going with Colt. Wish you could have got the 30rnd mags, I could have traded you the two 20 rounders I just got with my new Colt 6920 :)

Hamlund Tactical has 20rnd Pmags on sale, not the best price I guess but they also have half off shipping with the code "1/2shipping" and free shipping on orders over $150. Too bad you can't run 30 rounders, they have a great deal on those.

http://hamlundtactical.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=118_273_245&products_id=1039

swinokur
08-26-12, 07:23
I bought a Colt LE6920 for 1025 from my LGS (Engage Armament in Kensington) because they ordered too many for a LE order.

30 round mags are legal to possess in MD. You just cannot buy, sell or transfer them. I buy 30 round Pmags out of state and have them shipped to a buddy's house in VA. That's legal.

I think the SP models are older Sporter models and Colt has stopped using that on their roll marks. My serial starts with LE. That's the only difference I can see..

Mine came with a sling, cleaning kit, bore and chamber brushes too.

I feel I got a great deal on mine. I've put about 400 rounds through it. Flawless as I expected.

fuzzynutkila
08-26-12, 08:27
I bought mine there too! No sling mentioned. I have a buddy in Virginia that's gonna buy some 30rd PMags for me, if that is legal? Lmk if that is ok? Where do you shoot? I have only gone to Gilbert's indoor range in Rockville.

swinokur
08-26-12, 09:07
I bought mine there too! No sling mentioned. I have a buddy in Virginia that's gonna buy some 30rd PMags for me, if that is legal? Lmk if that is ok? Where do you shoot? I have only gone to Gilbert's indoor range in Rockville.

Possession of 30 round mags is legal in MD. Buying, selling or transferring is not. I have mine set to VA as well. You can buy in VA too. The Chantilly Gun Show is a good place to pick up 30 round mags. I shoot at the NRA Range in Fairfax. 50 yard range. I zeroed my Eotech there last Friday. No wait at all.

The box contained a cleaning kit, brushes and the sling. I put an Eotech 552 HWS on it as well as a Harris Bipod and an Elzetta light. I swapped out the stock hand guards for a Daniel Defense EZ Car quad rail. It's a great setup IMO.

fuzzynutkila
08-26-12, 11:11
So I can goto a store in Virginia , with a Maryland DL and buy one at like Dicks or LGS? And its ok if a friend of mine gifts them to me ? Thanks

JBecker 72
08-26-12, 11:14
Why would you need to show ID to buy mags?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

swinokur
08-26-12, 12:08
Why would you need to show ID to buy mags?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Agreed. Do you show your DL when you buy clothes at Tyson's Corner? I don't. This is not a firearm. No one needs to know your state of residence. Yes your friend can gift them. Again, possession in MD is legal. How many ways do we need to say it?

fuzzynutkila
08-26-12, 12:26
Thanks, I know possession is LEGAL, I just didn't know the LEGAL way to bring them into Maryland. I hear people say they buy them out of state and ship them to another state and I get confused...why would you send them anywhere if you buy them out of state at a store ? I would go buy in Virginia and bring it home, why ship to a friend's residence in Pennsylvania? Good to know I can just go get or get a friend to buy them for me.

swinokur
08-26-12, 12:32
Any way to bring them into MD is legal. You just cannot buy, sell or transfer in MD Anything else is legal. I have mine shipped to my friend in VA because I'm too lazy to drive to a VA gun shop and buy them.

If you buy them out of state it's perfectly legal to drive, fly, walk or crawl back to MD with them.

Does this clear it up?

fuzzynutkila
08-26-12, 12:39
Absolutely , crystal clear! Having spent college time in Arkansas I would say it sounds like a dry county law except for mags over 20rd. Just cross the county line and the liquor stores are in abundance just over that line. I think the law is pointless, but I have to respect it ?

swinokur
08-26-12, 12:43
MD has tons of dumb gun laws. This is just another example of the "feel good" laws that the uber liberal GA passes.

Doesn't help public safety one bit. They can't seem to grasp that no amount of gun laws will prevent a criminal who doesn't pay attention to laws in the first place from doing what they want to.

It just disarms honest law abiding citizens.

[/soapbox]

fuzzynutkila
08-26-12, 13:41
That's right! I actually typed something like that and then deleted it. I was gonna say that all it does is give Maryland residence a false sense of security and piss off shooters,! I thought I might want to hold off on politics but AMEN!

Shabazz
08-26-12, 15:12
Congrats on the 6920. At least MD is not as bad as DE, which is not as bad as DC.

fuzzynutkila
08-26-12, 15:42
I was born in dc and lived there for 25 years...lol. its geographically not my fault.

bullittmcqueen
08-27-12, 12:46
You got a good rifle, its just unfortunate you paid that price tag for it. I believe Grant sells that rifle for quite a bit less and I also could get you that rifle for less as well. But regardless, enjoy your Colt!