PDA

View Full Version : When I pay $3200 bucks for a 1911, I expect it to run out of the box.

AuProspector
08-25-12, 23:05
NOTE: I'm a longtime 1911's shooter but new to Ed Brown. I understand how to shoot and use a 1911's.

I received my Ed Brown, Kobra Carry LW, .45ACP and took it to the range today and I was hugely disappointed. I put ~200 rounds through it and had 8 failure to feeds with 1/2 of the ammo through it was factory.

Using EB 7 rounds mag (OK thus far), but my focus was on the 8 round mags. Using Wilson's or CM's 8 round mags, the rounds will nosedive into the feed ramp. These are the same magazines that will function reliably in my other EB SS Kobra Carry/1911's.

I was running Win WB 230's (~50 rounds w/o problems) then I switched to Speer Gold Dots and/or the Federal HST (my carry loads) and 50 rounds of 200 grain handloads.

I laid aside and/or marked the mags that I had the problem's with. It occurred with 4 of the 8 mags. The problems came with everything that wasn't of round nose designed... my carry and handloads.

I'm beginning to wonder about the metal insert that EB puts into the feed ramp? When I buy a $3200+ dollar 1911, I expect it to run out of the box with whatever I'm putting through it.

Anyone else experience this w/their EB Light Weight?

PS
On a positive note: This weapon is a shooter (as is the EB SS Kobra Carry, and it's why I purchased this one) and there are many things I like about this 1911. I hope I didn't get a Lemon.

PSS More rounds though it next week and I'll report back but I'd like to get some feedback with other members who have this 1911...

Thanks

Stangman
08-25-12, 23:24
NOTE: I'm a longtime 1911's shooter but new to Les Baer. I understand how to shoot and use a 1911's.

I received my Les Baer, Kobra Carry LW, .45ACP and took it to the range today and I was hugely disappointed. I put ~200 rounds through it and had 8 failure to feeds with 1/2 of the ammo through it was factory.

Using LB 7 rounds mag (OK thus far), but my focus was on the 8 round mags. Using Wilson's or CM's 8 round mags, the rounds will nosedive into the feed ramp. These are the same magazines that will function reliably in my other LB SS Kobra Carry/1911's.

I was running Win WB 230's (~50 rounds w/o problems) then I switched to Speer Gold Dots and/or the Federal HST (my carry loads) and 50 rounds of 200 grain handloads.

I laid aside and/or marked the mags that I had the problem's with. It occurred with 4 of the 8 mags. The problems came with everything that wasn't of round nose designed... my carry and handloads.

I'm beginning to wonder about the metal insert that LB puts into the feed ramp? When I buy a $3200+ dollar 1911, I expect it to run out of the box with whatever I'm putting through it.

Anyone else experience this w/their LB Light Weight?

PS
On a positive note: This weapon is a shooter (as is the LB SS Kobra Carry, and it's why I purchased this one) and there are many things I like about this 1911. I hope I didn't get a Lemon.

PSS More rounds though it next week and I'll report back but I'd like to get some feedback with other members who have this 1911...

Thanks

So, let's clear one thing up off the top......what gun do you have? Do you have a Les Baer Custom Carry, or an Ed Brown Kobra Carry

AuProspector
08-25-12, 23:34
Ooops. Yes, my bad.

Ed Brown Kobra Carry. I put LB when I it should have read EB.

I own 2 Ed Brown Kobra Carry's. The SS and Light Weight, with the LW that is having the problems.

I'll go back and correct/edit my error.

Thank you.

Kchen986
08-26-12, 00:49
I just picked up a high end 1911. Had problems right out the box, but after cleaning and lubing it's running 100%. Did you get a chance to clean and oil it before shooting?

Wiggity
08-26-12, 03:15
I'd shoot about 100 more rounds through it, if it is still having problems, contact Ed brown and send it back

Redmanfms
08-26-12, 04:17
Reads to me like a mag issue.

You might consider reading the board rules on posting threads like this.

KaBar762
08-26-12, 04:17
I just picked up a high end 1911. Had problems right out the box, but after cleaning and lubing it's running 100%. Did you get a chance to clean and oil it before shooting?

Always clean, lube and inspect your new firearms before going off to the range and shooting them. You'll save yourself many headaches.

ICANHITHIMMAN
08-26-12, 06:18
Reminds me of when I used to shoot sporting clays. Bottom of the line perazzi was 6k and as soon as you got it , you had to pay for a trigger job cause they would double on you.

Dmaynor
08-26-12, 07:20
As a Ed Brown customer for both pistols and parts I can say any problem I actually had (not user error or bad equipment) they fixed instantly with no hassle and no cost to me.

VLODPG
08-26-12, 11:57
So what did Ed Brown say when you called him?

SHIVAN
08-26-12, 12:00
So what did Ed Brown say when you called him?

Until I get an update on what was said, this thread is closed. Per our forum's rules