PDA

View Full Version : What age did you get your kids into shooting?

Taprackngo
08-26-12, 00:04
Here's my one of my sons shooting, he's 8. I started him at the age of 2 with a daisy bb gun. I would let him carry it around, unloaded of course until he was old enough to cock the lever. Then around the age of 5 I would let him shoot BB's. Soon after getting him a Savage youth model 22 with peep sights to train him for his new COLT LE6920.

Although, I think he prefers to shoot his Savage youth model, partly because of weight and it's relatively quiet compared to others. He did line up and shoot my AR today. I recently bought both my boys ages 8 and 10 new Colt's and changed out the stocks to the Vltor iMOD.

What works best for me is to never push, whenever they ask to see their rifles I unlock the safe and show them. If they want to go shoot we go. I do let them play video games with shooting, I believe they learn proper sight picture from playing them. And it may help encourage curiosity towards safe shooting.

Specs: Colt LE6920, Vltor iMod, KAC RAS, T1 Micro / Larue, Acog TA31F / Larue, DBAL i2. Surefire MINI in route
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k258/mhpoole/photo-23.jpg