PDA

View Full Version : Range Day

VMI-MO
08-26-12, 12:30
This is just a preliminary post too see if there would be any interest for a range day at a private range in Jarratt, VA.

I have attempted to facilitate this before however due to work stuff it had always fallen through, however I am giving it another swing.

Likely date would be late September into October.

Shooting would be held on a Saturday and depending on interest possible night shoot and more shooting on sunday.

Range would accommodate targets out to 300m. It would be a combination of rifle and pistol along with anything else other people would want to shoot.

Conduct would be shooting alot of well known drills with slight modifications and running some head to head challenges against other shooters. All this would be done in the name of fun and maybe learning a little something something.

Please let me know if you are interested.

William B.
08-26-12, 13:46
I am interested, but not 100% sure that I would be able to make it.

olivers_AR
08-27-12, 07:44
Yes I would be interested, depending on scheduled dates.

Certainly interested in 300m targets and long range rifle.

C45P312
08-27-12, 08:53
I'd be interested too!

Failure2Stop
08-27-12, 09:12
Depending on date, I'm in.
Carlo, would be great to shoot with you.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

JSantoro
08-27-12, 09:53
Also interested....

I've a class the weekend of 22 Sep, but that's my only solid scheduled event for that time-frame.

Lincoln7
08-27-12, 12:29
I'm quite interested. Depends mostly on the date to see if I'm working the chosen weekend.

ETA: As of now the best weekends for me are Sept 22/23 and Oct 13/14.

olivers_AR
08-27-12, 21:54
That weekend is also the tail end of the FNH 3-gun nationals :D

Also interested....

I've a class the weekend of 22 Sep, but that's my only solid scheduled event for that time-frame.

Wake27
08-28-12, 00:05
Pretty decent drive for me, but if it looks solid enough and I'm free I may be up for it.

Meth0d
08-28-12, 10:29
I would be interested as well, depending on the date.

48J
08-28-12, 10:51
Interested, yes. Can you provide some additional details?

C45P312
08-28-12, 22:49
Carlo, would be great to shoot with you.
Likewise! Been meaning to take one of your courses up in Echo Valley but after deciding to go back to school full time, wife is having me watch my pennies. If anything, I see you have one in Sept and one in Oct. I'll be sure to make one of those.

Pretty decent drive for me, but if it looks solid enough and I'm free I may be up for it.
If you want to link up in Chesapeake, we can carpool if the wife lets me go.

I can fit up to 3 in the 4runner if anyone else from Hampton Roads wants to roll out.

Jellybean
08-30-12, 00:41
What's this?
An M4C shoot less than an hour from me?
With possible instructor-level participants?
AND a possible night shoot?
Duh, yeah, I'd be interested! :D

I have two questions-
1) Are there any range fees?

I'm also assuming this is a "bring your own ammo" event?
Yeah, a dumb question, but some of the actual ranges I've been to fall into the "with friends like these who needs enemies" categories, with all sorts of weird restrictions...better to know before hand.

2)What kind of round count and drill material are you guys planning on running? Is there room for a FNG?
(I can do a PM to discuss further if needed)

ffhounddog
08-30-12, 07:12
I am game if it does not interfere with two other events that I must attend.

C45P312
08-30-12, 08:18
I've got steel to bring too but it uses a 4x4in post to stand up. if i end up bring 4 with gear i won't be able to bring posts. if there are trees, maybe we can hang them up with paracord?! i dont know. just thinking out loud here

cgcorrea
08-30-12, 08:18
I have some stuff going on the weekend of the 22nd(Sep), but that's it. Any other weekend, I'm there. What's the suggested round count?

vaglocker
08-30-12, 08:24
If this is a 2 day event would camping be allowed on site?

C45P312
08-30-12, 08:28
I have some stuff going on the weekend of the 22nd(Sep), but that's it. Any other weekend, I'm there. What's the suggested round count?

I just plan on bringing 1000 carbine 1000 pistol.

that should be enough lol

JSantoro
08-30-12, 08:42
What's the suggested round count?

ALL!!!

Wake27
08-30-12, 08:51
Likewise! Been meaning to take one of your courses up in Echo Valley but after deciding to go back to school full time, wife is having me watch my pennies. If anything, I see you have one in Sept and one in Oct. I'll be sure to make one of those.

If you want to link up in Chesapeake, we can carpool if the wife lets me go.

I can fit up to 3 in the 4runner if anyone else from Hampton Roads wants to roll out.

I'll probably end up heading out there solo if I do make it, that way I'm as flexible as possible, but I really appreciate the offer.

If not camping, would everyone be getting a hotel or something?

Matt O
08-30-12, 09:02
This sounds pretty awesome and I think I'm free most weekends in September before the hunting season starts.

If it does turn into a 2-day shoot, I'd also be interested in finding out about camping options given the price of gas and ammo these days.

C45P312
08-30-12, 09:19
I'll probably end up heading out there solo if I do make it, that way I'm as flexible as possible, but I really appreciate the offer.

If not camping, would everyone be getting a hotel or something?

true that. ill actually be returning Saturday as if have church sunday morning

Wake27
09-02-12, 16:39
Any update on lodging or camping info?

C45P312
09-02-12, 16:43
oh, also i have a target stands i can bring out. Maybe like 2-4 of them that just take a 1x1 wooden stick from Lowes or Home Depot

VMI-MO
09-03-12, 07:41
Shoot as of now will be one day. Due to work schedules for some.

Round count: 1000 rifle and 1000 pistol. This is a pretty generous number giving us lots of leway to play with things. Bring what you want to shoot. Shoot what you bring.

I will be pushing out an email hopefully within the day with all the final details.

PJ

Wake27
09-04-12, 00:03
So about how many people are pretty set on going?

Vinh
09-04-12, 09:42
I'm interested. Please put me on the email list, thanks.

Wake27
09-07-12, 22:38
Really hoping to get to this. All I have to really do now is buy ammo...

punkey71
09-09-12, 10:33
Intersted as well.

If this does become a reality I'd be in on a carpool from Fredericksburg.

Thanks,
Harold

Failure2Stop
09-09-12, 20:05
We'll be there.

C45P312
09-09-12, 20:26
So about how many people are pretty set on going?

I'm pretty set on going. Going to see if I can get a wingman or woman to come with. We've got a course up in Alaska the same weekend, but this seems to be more cost effective.

JSantoro
09-10-12, 08:25
Intersted as well.

If this does become a reality I'd be in on a carpool from Fredericksburg.

Thanks,
Harold

I'm in Falmouth. Bounce me a message when you get the opportuity, we'll see if a link-up works.

Be forwarned, you might end up sharing a seat with a Jack Russel who will want to be "all up in your grille," as the street youth seem to be saying, these days.... :D

I'll be dragging along 3 target stands w/1x2 uprights & spares, mebbe 20 cardboard IDPA targets.

Carlo, I'll also try to make at least one 4x4 stand to drag along.

Jellybean
09-10-12, 13:22
Barring any major health or navigation issues (I suck at driving. :cray:) will be there.

tamabrand
09-10-12, 21:22
FNG in NoVA here. Interested as well.

Wake27
09-14-12, 15:50
Just bought ammo. I'll be there.

Battlepack
09-21-12, 08:32
Showing up to the thread at the last minute and interested pursuant to the day chosen.

VMI-MO
09-23-12, 06:36
Showing up to the thread at the last minute and interested pursuant to the day chosen.

We are chock full on people. If we have any drops I will let you know.

For everyone who is planning on shooting this:

Depending on weather the range road may be a little crappy. If you drive something small or delicate please have your gear packed so we can bump you to another vic.

Also bring bug spray. I never have had a problem with bugs at this range until yesterday, and they were terrible.

Anything else, let me know.
PJ

Wake27
09-23-12, 07:49
We are chock full on people. If we have any drops I will let you know.

For everyone who is planning on shooting this:

Depending on weather the range road may be a little crappy. If you drive something small or delicate please have your gear packed so we can bump you to another vic.

Also bring bug spray. I never have had a problem with bugs at this range until yesterday, and they were terrible.

Anything else, let me know.
PJ

My 3 series has actually done incredibly well in mud and standing water, but I'd like to avoid getting it any more messed up than it already is haha. I'll be ready to switch just in case.

cgcorrea
09-23-12, 10:03
I'll be there for sure.

ALL!!!

Ha. I can't quite come up with a grand each pistol/carbine(cgcorrea be po deez dayz), but I'll bring as close to it as possible; which will hopefully be enough that I'm not left kicking rocks halfway through the shoot. See you there bro.

Wake27
09-28-12, 18:53
What's the abort criteria for this? I know it's supposed to be scattered thunderstorms, just wondering how everyone feels about it.

Failure2Stop
09-28-12, 19:16
What's the abort criteria for this? I know it's supposed to be scattered thunderstorms, just wondering how everyone feels about it.

If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin' :dance3:

Rain or shine, I know most of us will be there.

C45P312
09-29-12, 06:04
Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it. I would have loved to shoot in the rain. I honestly didn't even look at the weather till this morning and saw the post from last night.

I'd want to see how my Vortex 1-4x would of held up and if fogging would have ensued. Also wanted to see what my can will do in the rain.

Nonetheless, forces out of my control has me watching our daughter today so my wife can be expedient in running some errands. Our daughters 1st bday is on Oct 2nd.

Sorry for the trouble of making the stands for my steel. I'll be sure to make up for it in the future if this happens again. If anything, i can send some SWAG your way from my Bin of Free Sh!t. Anything from new Revision Eye Wear to MC Combat Shirts to hats lol

p.s. If you can post a lunch update or PM me or do both when you guys break for lunch, that would be great. If I can leave Hampton Roads by 12 noon ill roll out there. Really depends on my wife and when gets home. Hopefully her day will start early since I'll have our daughter.

Wake27
09-30-12, 09:22
Hey guys, I just wanted to thank everyone for yesterday. It sucked that I had to bail early, but while I was there it was awesome. Jack and JSantoro, thanks for helping me try and figure out my Noveske. I broke it down last night because of how hard it was to pull the charging handle at some points and it was pretty gummed up (though I've seen a lot worse in photos here). It hadn't been that long since I cleaned it so I'm not sure why it was so dirty. I noticed a lot of increased wear on the charging handle when I pulled it out too. The black coating had been stripped off in many more places, leaving a shiny metallic look which I thought was interesting. Whether any of that had anything to do with the problems I was getting, I don't know. But I think this may have been a contributing factor:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8311/8039346610_255e4b195d.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/58801550@N02/8039346610/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8173/8039342809_886d032de1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/58801550@N02/8039342809/)

Not sure how well you guys can see it, but the gas rings on the bolt are all jacked up. I don't know much about them so I'll tart looking, but do you guys think that may have been it?

And thanks again VMI-MO for setting this up, it was good to meet some of you guys finally and do some actual shooting.

Failure2Stop
09-30-12, 09:41
Yup those gas rings are toast.
Email me your address and I'll send you a new set.
Honestly that's like step two in the diagnostic process, but when your upper ran on my lower and then ran on your other lower I thought that the issue was solved.
For those reading, wake was having failures to feed/chamber. Initially looked like a magazine related issue, and then a lower receiver issue. Should have done a bolt swap but got dragged down the wrong rabbit hole when the upper worked on an alternate lower. Remember, jf you are having cycling issues, check the gas system early, and keep in mind that the bolt and bolt carrier group is 1/2 of the gas system.

JSantoro
09-30-12, 10:45
Well, dang...

Nice to see that it's a simple fix. You haven't even broken 2k rounds on that one yet, right, Wake...?

Wake27
09-30-12, 11:13
Well, dang...

Nice to see that it's a simple fix. You haven't even broken 2k rounds on that one yet, right, Wake...?

Yesterday pushed me over 2k, but not by too much since I started having issues early. My estimate puts the total round count at about 2,200.

Matt O
09-30-12, 15:04
Wake27, glad to see you figured out what was wrong with your carbine.

I'd also like to add my thanks to VMI-MO for setting this up and F2S for running us through some awesome drills. I really appreciated the tips and advice you guys provided.

All in all, it was one helluva way to spend a rainy Saturday.

punkey71
10-01-12, 10:06
Agreed Matt.

Thanks guys, that was a truly awesome experience.

Best,
Harold

Wake27, glad to see you figured out what was wrong with your carbine.

I'd also like to add my thanks to VMI-MO for setting this up and F2S for running us through some awesome drills. I really appreciated the tips and advice you guys provided.

All in all, it was one helluva way to spend a rainy Saturday.

cgcorrea
10-01-12, 19:27
To echo everyone else, big thanks to VMI-MO for putting together an awesome range day. The opportunity to run more dynamic drills, such as some of the ones we ran on Saturday, doesn't come my way very often. Thanks to F2S as well, both for running the drills, and for giving me some helpful pointers along the way. It was an absolute privelege, gents.

Jellybean
10-02-12, 01:50
...All in all, it was one helluva way to spend a rainy Saturday.

To echo everyone else, big thanks to VMI-MO for putting together an awesome range day. The opportunity to run more dynamic drills, such as some of the ones we ran on Saturday, doesn't come my way very often. Thanks to F2S as well, both for running the drills, and for giving me some helpful pointers along the way. It was an absolute privelege, gents.

Damn straight!
One of the best days I've ever had on a range- in the rain no less.
Both surprised myself at some things, and had an eye-opener on others. It was also really great to get some real-time pointers on technique and gear from a variety of people that know what the hell they're doing, as well as put some names to faces.
When they finally invent a way do directly download info from on persons brain to anothers, it will be a good day.

Unfortunately, now this accursed forum is going to be to blame for yet another pillaging of my nonexistant coffers.... I really need to start following rainbows or growing a money-tree or something.

I only wish I had gotten more than 5 rounds on the Thompson before it went down...:(
And taken some pics or video- a clip of Jack running the multi-target shoot'n move drill with the Thompson would have been great for show and tell. :laugh: