PDA

View Full Version : M16 Clinic?

irish1111
01-30-08, 19:22
Has anybody had any experience with any M16 Clinic uppers? I was checking out their website while comparing SBR's for a new duty weapon. I've narrowed it down to Noveske, LaRue and them. I just can't seem to find much info on their performance and reliability. Thanks for any help.http://www.m16clinic.com

irish1111
01-30-08, 19:38
Could you elaborate?

sgtoinkz
02-24-08, 19:43
i don't know if you have already made your decision or gotten any info yet. i currently have a 8" viper upper and i love it. the only problem i had after about 1k rounds was a bolt breakage. i upgraded to a woa and have no problems. i have tested as much ammo as possible to see which is best and it seems to like 62grain fmj best. the best feature i like is the upgraded woa bolt with crane o ring ejects rounds more reliably and forwards rather than backwards. i would recommend changing the flashider. it is killer when your firing within feet of it at ranges. i have a krink on the way.

irish1111
02-24-08, 20:03
Thanks man I really appreciate the input. No I havent decided yet, but I really like the size for patrol and building clearing.

sgtoinkz
02-24-08, 20:58
[QUOTE=irish1111;131175]Thanks man I really appreciate the input. No I havent decided yet, but I really like the size for patrol and building clearing.[/QUOTE

anytime, that is why i got mine. i chose the viper upper from an officer who had time and experience with their product.

sgtoinkz
02-27-08, 07:48
last time i checked all the companies from bushmaster to noveske all charge around 800 to 1500 on short barrel uppers. i have shot a majority of them i see no difference other than weight. yes the viper is heavy if you care about weight and yes it does help with recoil and control. don't bash on companies man. most of those quality parts you probably have on your weapon are produced in house and i wouldnt exactly call them basement quality. these companies produce better parts than what i get in the marine corps for my weapon. it is just a matter of what each shooter likes and dislikes and just like you said ar's are like a lego set and they are the most customizable weapon system on the market... as far as accuracy i am not complaining about their product. my rifle is keeping 100yd groups within a dime and 200 in a nickel. if you want a 7.5 or 8" don't expect it to perform surgery at distances greater than 300.

grinch
03-24-08, 22:45
irish1111-stick with danos advice if you want a short rifle get the LMT 10.3in and never look back.

Put a crane reliability kit in it, run an H2 buffer and shoot 5.56 ammo in it and it will run and run.

M4Guru
03-25-08, 03:25
Spend less and get a Noveske Infidel if you must have an 8" gun.

I want to see an 8" gun shoot 1" at 200 yds.:rolleyes:

SinnFéinM1911
03-25-08, 07:54
last time i checked all the companies from bushmaster to noveske all charge around 800 to 1500 on short barrel uppers. i have shot a majority of them i see no difference other than weight. yes the viper is heavy if you care about weight and yes it does help with recoil and control. don't bash on companies man. most of those quality parts you probably have on your weapon are produced in house and i wouldnt exactly call them basement quality. these companies produce better parts than what i get in the marine corps for my weapon. it is just a matter of what each shooter likes and dislikes and just like you said ar's are like a lego set and they are the most customizable weapon system on the market... as far as accuracy i am not complaining about their product. my rifle is keeping 100yd groups within a dime and 200 in a nickel. if you want a 7.5 or 8" don't expect it to perform surgery at distances greater than 300.

I just spit up my hot chocolate after seeing Noveske and Hackmaster named inthe same sentance.

M4Guru
03-25-08, 09:17
Noveske gun @ $1192

Viper @ 1180

For $12 you get:

A monolithic VIS platform as opposed to a DPMS upper and YHM rail
A Krink brake as opposed to a YHM phantom, a good thing for an 8" barrel
A properly staked and MP tested bolt group with all current extractor upgrades
A pinned gas block made of 17-4 steel
Properly cut M4 fedramps
A Noveske barrel
An anytime, anywhere, any way warranty

Plus a hat, stickers, and a T-Shirt

CarlosDJackal
03-28-08, 09:46
If you really want something with an 8-inch barrel, maybe you should look into the LWRC PSD in 6.8. The only problem is, I don't think they're selling it just yet. :D

On the serious note, listen to the guys who really don't have a dog in this fight but is willing to provide you with quantitative proof that this is nothing more than hype. I have yet to understand just what the M16 Clinic is offering that is different other than a shorter barrel. It's not like they have a different gas piston system like LWRC, POF, or PWS. It's not like they have a special components (which is probably why sgtoinkz's bolt broke at 1K rounds).

Objectively compare what they are actually selling to what everyone else is, and then make your decision. FWIW, there are some pros in this forum who has had more experience behind an M16 either as an end user or a manufacturer than anywhere else, who are willing to provide their unbiased opinions. And chances are, if they say that a certain product is junk, it is from experience and not because they have an ax to grind. JM2CW.

Dragonskin
04-19-08, 01:37
Being my first post want to express my sincere thanks for the info posted here since I thought about this weapon system.
Carlos thanks for the mention of the LWRC weapon system, looking in to it now.

Heavy Metal
04-19-08, 11:34
Anyone who runs, or allows to, a DPMS BCG in a weapon intended for combat is in my turd book.

That is sig line worthy material.

mp43
04-27-08, 13:16
FWIW,

A long time ago Greg Leaf, aka M16 Clinic, took two Colt 10.5 inch uppers that wouldn't run, blueprinted them, and turned them into 100% reliable uppers. His prices are well justified as he is not just an "assembler" of parts. Every single upper he sells is tested to run right, and they are in use by A LOT of contractors in the sandbox.
Long before this and other forums were up, Greg was solving shorty M16 problems for a lot of people. He is a great resource for people whose lives depend on their gear, but if you are a hobbyist with limited funds there are cheaper & allmost as good alternatives.

Jorge

M4Guru
04-27-08, 14:35
One thing is for certain with those Viper uppers:

The old saying of garbage in/garbage out rings true. You can't build a gun out of crap parts and expect it to run.

variablebinary
04-27-08, 19:01
For the same price you can build a MUCH better product. The YHM rail and sights alone would make me pass when attached to that price tag

M16 VIPER complete Upper Assembly with 8” Stainless Match Bull barrel • $1,180
VIPER-XRP complete Upper Assembly with Stainless Match Bull barrel 10.3" • $1,380
SNIPER VIPER complete Upper Assembly with Stainless Match Bull barrel 16.3" • $1,450

http://www.m16clinic.com/viper/webviper2sept.jpg

mp43
04-30-08, 10:29
snice.... mp43's first post well into shillery...

Sorry if I sounded uninformed to you. I have been a Class III owner since 1989, I have several m16's, and Greg has done incredible work on some of these weapons, not just the two uppers I mentioned. In that particular case the chrome lining on the "mil-spec" chambers had to be reamed to spec by Greg, the gas ports had to be redone, and lots of other effort was expended by him to make sure these guys run 100% on full auto, which he proved by putting four mags thru these prior to shipping.

In regards to contrators, I personally know three who are gear heads like most of us here; I am sure that there are a lot who could care less. Two of those three have Viper uppers in their inventory after I referred them to Greg, and they have held up well.
My post was only meant to defend Greg Leaf/m16 Clinic, not to inferr that there are no others like him. If you put together an
m16 from good parts you may get a reliable piece; with Greg you KNOW you will get one that will run reliably.

Jorge

markm
04-30-08, 10:33
If your gonna run a 7-8" AR you might as well use a 22magnum.

DAMN IT! Thank you! Why this isn't obvious to more people, I have no idea.