PDA

View Full Version : M82/M107 accuracy

C-grunt
08-26-12, 14:23
Ive always been told that the M82/107 are about 2MOA guns. Yet in recent years military snipers have been have been making kills at long range with them.

So what has changed? Is match grade 50 BMG more accessible to sniper now than before?

a0cake
08-27-12, 17:59
I've only ever shot Mk 211 through the 107's. 2-2.5 MOA accuracy is about right. I would sample rounds from various lot numbers, find a good lot, and stick with it. Using this method, 1.5-2.0 MOA was reasonable to expect.

They're obviously not uber-precise rifles, especially with the ammunition commonly available, and are really designed for anti-material purposes, for which they are extremely effective (IED reduction, VBIED stopping, etc).

When used at long range, they are generally employed as you'll see in this video of MARSOC guys. The COE doesn't often require one shot, one kill, so the 107's get walked on to targets (often multiple personnel dismounted formations) in the following way. Not always, but often, the long range kills are the result of multiple adjusting rounds. It's not as "sexy" of a scene as you might expect from a SOF Sniper, but this is reality with these rifles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5VyY2dTuMA

C-grunt
08-27-12, 19:47
Just the guy I was hoping would answer. It makes sense if they are shooting and adjusting. Everything I was reading/watching made it seem like these were single shots at 1000+ meters. I know shooting trucks and equipment doesnt require pin point accuracy but it seems like there are more and more reports of long range anti personel shots where the 2 MOA accuracy would result in misses.

I have a little experience with the Barrett, not sure which one, and I really liked the rifle. It wasn't terribly accurate as wee were shooting dellinked M2 ammo. Definitely accurate enough for anti material.

bravofour
09-12-12, 18:19
Our team never experienced anything close to 2moa, even with MK211. We always left the M107 behind in favor of a M240. In sniper school you shoot the Barretts for two days and you're shooting at tanks...they don't put much emphasis on the weapon system. Just my experience...

scoutchris
09-16-12, 16:29
We didn't even unpack them downrange... I had my guys take them out of the conex, verify the serial numbers, then repack them in their cages. They are 2 minute weapons on a sunny day, during a leap years, in an even numbered month. I ****ing hated them. I've heard with raufuss rounds or whatever they can shoot slightly better, but I've never seen one of those outside of a building on Ft. Benning.