PDA

View Full Version : Some people shouldn't own guns

juliomorris
08-26-12, 17:12
A little history, a friends son asked me about putting a rifle together for him(college student) so he wanted lower end so I sugested PSA. Well he picked up a FN chf carbine length upper and a psa lower and PSA lower parts kit. I put it together back in may I function checked to ensure everything was GTG.

Well fast forward to present, he contacts me on friday saying it all the sudden shoots like crap. So I threw out the usual questions about cleaning maintenance and scope mount but assured me he cleaned it properly. Well I had him meet me at the range today and I immediately broke the rifle down checked the bore, checked the scope and mount over completely everything looked fine. I took a mag of known ammo and fired 3 rounds and got a 3 foot 2 shot group(not sure where the third one went) well i figured that hey it may be the scope so I pulled my burris off and fired 3 more well now it shoots about a 5 foot group. I turned to him and asked what in the hell did you do that you haven't told me.

Now the story starts to come out. He say's he did a torture test by putting it in water for 5 minutes then he let it drain for 5 minutes and fired it. I'm like well you probably ruined the barrel, well he says could it have been the mud because the water he put it in was the Red River.

I then checked the bore over a little more and noticed a shadow up by the muzzle, so i removed the muzzle brake which took alot of force(more than usual) but the crush washer wouldn't budge. I get to looking and now you can see a slite bulge right at the muzzle which was why the brake took so much force. Hey what do you expect from an A&M grad.

oops shouldn't own guns.....

vicious_cb
08-26-12, 17:21
People should also title their threads correctly :rolleyes:

GeorgiaBoy
08-26-12, 17:22
Sounds like a typical Arfcommer.

LightningFast
08-26-12, 17:30
I'm more worried about somebody who uses the word "well" that many times in one anecdote than the novice gun owner making a mistake.

M4Fundi
08-26-12, 17:34
Im guessing he spent more time on the "A" side of campus than the "M" side of campus:p

"Hullabaloo, canek, canek".... still a mystery;)

juliomorris
08-26-12, 17:46
Sorry my grammer isn't quit up snuff i went to school in S.E. Oklahoma and we barely speak english. i just wanted pass along story about an idiot and yes I'm sure he does spend a fair amount of time on TOS.

Freedoooom
08-26-12, 17:59
Arfcommer? Sounds like a M4Carbiner trying to prove the DI system is perfect.

Mr Elbowseed
08-26-12, 18:03
A college education couldn't teach him how to appreciate his belongings

Magic_Salad0892
08-26-12, 18:10

Hey... it still functioned. So we win. ;)

Freedoooom
08-26-12, 18:18
Hey... it still functioned. So we win. ;)

Probably after a few baths. I doubt any gun runs with red mud.

Iraqgunz
08-26-12, 18:24
Please do not start by stirring the shit pot. Otherwise you can press log out and leave.

juliomorris
08-26-12, 19:31
I owe a thank you to the mod who fixed my subject line.... The point of the post wasn't to start a DI/Piston war as I own both it was to point out the fact that there are alot of Dumb@ss people in this world who shouldn't be allowed to own a gun. Last weekend we had a dumb@ss start shooting while we were putting up targets... That one almost turned into a shootout. The cop who was down range with with us didn't really appreciate it.

NoveskeFan
08-26-12, 19:41
Last weekend we had a dumb@ss start shooting while we were putting up targets... That one almost turned into a shootout. The cop who was down range with with us didn't really appreciate it.

:eek: Crap dude, I hope that guy was trespassed.

Heavy Metal
08-26-12, 19:46
There is a reason why experts tape the muzzle of ANY rifle they dunk-test(not just AR's) and that reason is to prevent the muzzle of the rifle from core sampling the mud in the bottom of the river or creek.

Your friend just had a very expensive lession in why he isn't an expert.

My belief is people like Larry Vickers get paid to torture test rifles so I don't have to. This belief has served me very well.

As Clint once opined: "A mans gotta know his limitations..." Larry tortures them and I watch. We both perform our parts in the grand scheme of things to a high standard by maintaininng our respective functions in this arrangement.

The good news is somebody might be able to get the barrel chopped and re-threaded and make an SBR tube out of it so it may not be a complete loss.

halo2304
08-26-12, 20:01
Some idiots dropped off a rifle at the gun shop I work at. They aparently tried to make their own subsonic ammo and got a round lodged in the barrel.

Now, what do you think they did? :rolleyes:

They fired a full power round in an attempt to dislodge the stuck round. Not only is there a buldge in the barrel, they broke the lug off the upper and cracked it in several places. It was a rifle barrel but all it'd be good for now is chop it down and use it with a .22lr kit as a pistol.

seb5
08-26-12, 20:24
The kid may have watched a few too many You tube videos and decided to try it himself!