PDA

View Full Version : Those of you in the crosshairs of Isaac what are you doing to prep...

jaxman7
08-26-12, 18:34
This is looking worse and worse. Soon to be 'Hurricane Isaac' is bearing straight down on the New Orleans-Mississippi coast at the end of August....just like Katrina.

I don't live on the coast but my county had more damage from Katrina than any other. Save for the coastal counties. No power for 3 weeks, major routes cut off, lootings ,but NOTHING like New Orleans. In the next town a guy got shot over a bag of ice.

I know its human nature to assume the worst but is anybody else getting a strange eerie feeling? For those of you down in this area how is the local attitude towards Isaac and what are you guys doing to prep for it.

If this does go down for the worse I am very interested to see how state and federal agencies will handle it this time.

Maybe it will just be alot of rain and wind and that's it. I sincerely hope that. If you've ever lived in an area where hurricanes are possible there is always that eerie calm before the storm. As I look outside now there isnt a leaf moving on any tree. It is always like that before a Hurricane. Just creepy. Everyone down this way I hope you stay safe. If you have power and comms report back afterwards and keep us updated on whats happening in your AO.

-Jax

feedramp
08-26-12, 18:41
Quickly, cull the herds!

Palmguy
08-26-12, 18:54
We were in the crosshairs yesterday, and are still potentially at risk. It is more or less business as usual. No eerie feeling here, and this shouldn't be a major storm like Katrina. Cat 1/2 at landfall in all likelihood; yeah there can be damage but this will probably be a relatively low key as far as hurricanes go.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jaxman7
08-26-12, 19:01
We were in the crosshairs yesterday, and are still potentially at risk. It is more or less business as usual. No eerie feeling here, and this shouldn't be a major storm like Katrina. Cat 1/2 at landfall in all likelihood; yeah there can be damage but this will probably be a relatively low key as far as hurricanes go.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, it wont be on the scale or power of Katrina. That I agree with. Last I heard (which obviously can change) is at max a Category 2. Katrina was a Cat 3 when it hit LA/MS.

-Jax

HES
08-26-12, 22:07
Here in Tampa were finally out of the path. However there were some concerns. From my perspective having responded in the past to hurricanes Andrew and Opal, and then having to go through them as a bystander, this one wouldn't be bad. Since buying our first house my wife and I have spent 14 years buying enough supplies to live off the grid for about a month. It can take that long to have services restored. However we constantly get new people to the area and by Friday they had raided the local stores and many were still not prepared.

As for how the state and federal agencies will react in my area? After the lessons that were learned from Andrew 20 years ago this week, Florida generally has its shit together. Now that the storm is projected to hit New Orleans, I am am hoping that Governor Jindal and the current mayor of that city don't have their heads up their assessment like Blanco and Nagin did.