PDA

View Full Version : Project Ascalon, Mk II

BrigandTwoFour
08-26-12, 23:37
Greetings all, I've made some updates to a rifle I built a couple years back using some lessons learned over the course of building another one "for my wife" and shooting. I thought I'd post those updates and some of the reasoning behind them.

First off, this is the original configuration.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-HWFeoP5s754/TpYOZo2AUZI/AAAAAAAAAco/AOhlRhQUBkk/s965/DSC_0004.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-WdRTYkpvM-s/TVQcup5GVlI/AAAAAAAAANA/KbUx8yeD24g/s965/DSC_0855.JPG

Specs:
Centurion CHF Lightweight 16" w/ pinned gas block and AAC Blackout
BCM Auto BCG
Geisele SSA
Magpul MIAD
Magpul ACS with Spikes ST-T2 buffer
Spikes BAR 10"
Trijicon TR-24G in an ADM Recon-H mount
Magpul MBUS sights
Magpul ASAP

Here is the update

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-NJiIRYnp9v8/UDrtSqvJfrI/AAAAAAAAAfU/EUY1gvaIrqY/s965/DSC_0003.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6xf5ek96EAo/UDrtSrkOz9I/AAAAAAAAAfY/4GIWJBeGqms/s965/DSC_0015.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-kt1Rw-ZKMlY/UDrtWfTxJ8I/AAAAAAAAAfk/SaE5Y8AIwPA/s965/DSC_0030.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Gsxzi9vYVK8/UDrvqQW5YBI/AAAAAAAAAgk/yZPG-Pdl4Wo/s861/photo.jpeg

So, changes. I built a go-fast lightweightish gun using all Magpul MOE furniture, a BCM 16" LW standard middy, Vltor A5 and an XPS 2-0. I came to really enjoy the handiness of that rifle and began using it far more than my original one depicted in the first photos.

Since the lightweight carbine began filling the role of home defense rifle, I wanted to update the original gun to satisfy my growing enjoyment of longer range shooting, and fix some of the nagging handling issues I was having.

This rifle was originally built around around a general purpose concept. A kind of jack of all trades gun that would work just as well for home defense, competition, and ringing steel at ranges out to the limits of the 5.56. Of course, after much shooting, I now realize that there are always trade offs. So now I follow a concept of a core package that I can swap parts on based upon my needs at the time. This is especially true of the optics selection, which I will get to later.

So, first, I swapped the Spikes BAR for a Rainier Arms Evolution 12" rail. The Evolution has a significantly smaller diameter, and is much more comfortable to hold and wrap my hand around. The extra 2" of forearm gave me just a tad bit more room for placing my hand, or leverage for use on the bipod (pictured). I also found that I had no use for the quad rail design, as I only used the rails for sights, flashlight, and tango down stubby. The Evolution allows me to attach a rail segment where I need it, and leave everything else smooth.

Second, I replaced the SSA with an SD-E. The SSA found it's way into my wife's carbine. There was no real reason for this, as both triggers are fantastic, I really just wanted an excuse to buy another G trigger. The SD-E is fantastic, and is noticeably cleaner. All who have shot both guns comment on it. They say that both the SSA and SD-E are the best they've felt in an AR, but the SD-E just edges it out a bit.

I replaced the MIAD grip with a BCM Gunfighter Mod-1. When I originally used the MIAD, I started with the large backstrap. Over time, I found that, despite my large hands, I liked the narrower grips. The more vertical angle of the BCM feels better with keeping my elbow tucked in while offhand shooting. When prone, the grip angle feels great when shooting with the thumb on the same side as the rest of the hand.

I replaced the standard safety selector with a BAD-ASS short throw. Crank on left side, stubby on right. This change happened before the others. I can't say enough good things about this mechanism, highly recommended. Having the ambi safety also works great for shooting with the thumb on the right side of the rifle.

The most significant change came with the addition of the A5 buffer system. The ST-T2 felt great for mitigating perceived recoil, but it was not without issues. In cold weather, and using low powered ammunition, the bolt would occasionally short cycle. This never happened with 5.56, but since I usually plink with cheap .223, it was frustrating. After installing the A5 on my wife's rifle, I knew I needed it on mine- and so I did. The EMod stock doesn't feel very different from the ACS, so that's a wash. I bought it mostly because I was changing colors from foliage to black, and wanted to try a VLTOR product. I do like that there are QD points already on the stock.

I replaced the ASAP with a Noveske QD end plate. This was done for standardization purposes between rifles. I can now use the same slings on both rifles (I use a VCAS, my wife uses MS2).

The TR-24G is a great optic. I do feel it is limited to 300 yards without dialing dope, which is not an easy proposition given the capped turrets. Also, I lost a little faith in the TR24 when I pulled out my gun one day and found the zero was way off. Upon uncapping the turrets, I found that they had somehow gotten "popped up" and were spinning freely, this had eliminated my previously set zero. Because of these limitations, I will likely invest in one of the newer 1-6x options with a FFP mil reticle.

The Recon-H mount is great for shooting standing up or running around like in a 3-gun, but I have found it awkward to use when shooting prone. Having the scope that high forces me into a chin-weld position, which causes undue stress on my neck when prone. Any future mounts will be normal height.

Still to be purchased are a set of KAC micro backup sights. The MBUS sights were OK for what they were, but I would prefer something with a little more precision for dialing.

The Elzetta ZFL M-60 light in the gear sector mount still sits on the rifle at night, but I would like to get a IWC/Haley thorntail mount just to get the light out there a bit more. I have a VTAC Mini-L4 on my wife's rifle, and really like it's output to weight ratio. The Elzetta is built like a tank, and has huge output, but I don't think I really need 235 lumens and may choose to save the weight and go with another Mini L4.

Also in the future is some sort of RDS and possibly an ACOG (or Browe!) for this gun. While this gun is now primarily built for magnified shooting, the benefits of an RDS cannot be denied. I've been debating between a T1/H1 or the SRS. A tough fixed magnification optic is also in the cards, but as of now I don't really have a need for it.

I don't have accuracy numbers available for the barrel, but I can generally hit what I am at without problem. That's good enough for me.

BrigandTwoFour
08-26-12, 23:45
****deleted*****