PDA

View Full Version : How important is the lower?

Boostedxt
08-27-12, 13:01
I am looking to pick up a few lowers for my next build and I am curious on your thoughts.

How important is the lower? Is a lower, a lower? Are companies like DD, Noveske, Seekin, and companies like that worth the extra coin?

C4IGrant
08-27-12, 13:08
I am looking to pick up a few lowers for my next build and I am curious on your thoughts.

How important is the lower? Is a lower, a lower? Are companies like DD, Noveske, Seekin, and companies like that worth the extra coin?

As long as mags drop free and the dims are correct, I don't think it matters. What is much more important are the internal inside of it!

Choose wisely.

C4

Boostedxt
08-27-12, 13:14
The barrel, trigger, and things like that will all be high end. I was just curious about the lower.

Is Noveske worth the extra $80 over say a Palmetto State/Aero Precision?

markm
08-27-12, 13:29
The barrel, trigger, and things like that will all be high end. I was just curious about the lower.

Not really... unless you're hoping for some more resale value later.

Boostedxt
08-27-12, 13:30
how important is the upper and lower being matched is building an accuracy type rifle?

markm
08-27-12, 13:36
how important is the upper and lower being matched is building an accuracy type rifle?

Not important. An exceptionally bad fit might be avoided.. but some play isn't critical.

glocktogo
08-27-12, 13:43

Are you building for yourself, others you know personally, or open resale? If it's for yourself or friends & family, it shouldn't matter. If resale value matters to you, it will be better with a quality name on the side. It wouldn't matter to me, but to a lot of potential buyers it will.

clmarshall21
08-27-12, 13:45
An interesting observation that I made... I have a Noveske Gen2 lower paired with a Vltor MUR 1A upper receiver. They fit like a dream.

However, my friend attempted to put his RRA upper on the Noveske lower and the two would absolutely not go together. In an attempt to put my MUR upper on his RRA lower (just out of curiosity at this point) I found that the MUR would have fit the RRA lower but it would have taken an excessive amount of force. It would be safe to say (however I haven't checked it further to diagnose it) that the RRA parts may be out of spec.

The point:
There are some obvious manufacturers that i would stay away from when looking at lowers.

markm
08-27-12, 13:47
An interesting observation that I made... I have a Noveske Gen2 lower paired with a Vltor MUR 1A upper receiver. They fit like a dream.

That's two nice components. I'd like to have one of each of those.

clmarshall21
08-27-12, 13:50

Thanks. They are a match made in heaven!

Whitebrad25
08-27-12, 14:24
Generally a lower is a lower is a lower....except for billet lowers, and, on the opposite end of the spectrum, polymer lowers. Otherwise, they are all pretty much gtg.

Grease Monkey
08-27-12, 14:36
[QUOTE=clmarshall21;1379842]An interesting observation that I made... I have a Noveske Gen2 lower paired with a Vltor MUR 1A upper receiver. They fit like a dream.

QUOTE]

Mine is the same way! I have a Gen 2 Chainsaw and an MUR1A, great fit. Almost 0 play between the two. Looks great as well, I might add.

Boostedxt
08-27-12, 14:38
Basically I am torn between a Noveske GenI or multiple aero precision lowers. You can get a matched aero precision lower/upper and one surplus arms and ammo lower for $50 bucks more than the Noveske is going to cost. Trying to decide between 2 lowers and 1 upper over the cost of just 1 lower.

vicious_cb
08-27-12, 14:39
Avoid hesse/vulcan, olympic, DPMS lowers and you should be OK.

markm
08-27-12, 14:40
Basically I am torn between a Noveske GenI

What's the difference between a Noveske Gen 1 and 2?

Boostedxt
08-27-12, 14:45
The mag well is different. Not sure what else. Its $189 locally

C4IGrant
08-27-12, 14:52

For better resale? Ya. For higher level of F&F? Ya.

C4

Gun
08-27-12, 14:54
What's the difference between a Noveske Gen 1 and 2?

I believe the trigger guard is part of the lower on the gen. 2.

My BCM upper on a Noveske N4 gen 1, have to drive the rear pin in, and out with some force, but not like it was at the initial fit.

markm
08-27-12, 15:03
Oh ok... the gen 2 is the flared forged lower... I thought maybe there were 2 gens of the new design lower..

seb5
08-27-12, 17:44
I prefer BCM and Noveske lowers for my builds. 4 of 6 are those. I also have a Territorial and a DD lower and all are good to go. In my opinion Noveske lowers are worth it as I've never had a bad one. I can't say that about DPMS, RRA, Olympic, and Stag.

Spectro
08-27-12, 23:43
I built my first lower a few years ago with a DPMS lower I bought on sale locally. The shop stated it was not a blem and said it was gtg. The thing sat for a month before I finally installed the LPK and only then did I discover that not one Pmag would drop free.

I eventually purchased a Noveske blem lower which mated perfectly to the upper and all mags drop free. I would have bought the Noveske first if I would have known what upper I was going to buy.

Now I have a spare lower waiting for a project after a little sanding in the magwell.

CodeRed30
08-28-12, 13:31
Also, some lowers will have an added feature or two (i.e. flared magwell) and in the case of AGP Arms and a couple others, a trigger adjustment set screw.

DesertFox
09-17-12, 23:34
Also, some lowers will have an added feature or two (i.e. flared magwell) and in the case of AGP Arms and a couple others, a trigger adjustment set screw.

Is there a lower out there that has QD sockets, like the Sig 516/716? That is one feature that I'd love to build in.

Hydguy
09-18-12, 00:48
The only lowers (and other parts) that I've run across that I would flat out not use are DPMS and Hesse/Vulcan/whatever-they-are-now.

Had an Oly pre-ban CAR set up during the ban, and it was a good gun for what was available at the time. I did have a few mags that wouldn't drop free, but a little file work and that was taken care of... It also had the SUM barrel which even in the carbine length, was an accurate barrel.

Back in the old days, TOS had their first SEBR, and it was from RRA. That was a fiasco, with many out of spec uppers, and claims that it was 'the new spec'. So I stay away from RRA uppers. I do have an old RRA lower, and it works fine...

The biggest problem is finding a decent price on stripped lowers... Around here, Roggio, Aero, and other lower priced lowers are hard to find, and things like Spikes, DPMS, and the like are running around $150. Don't bother trying to get Noveske, BCM, and other higher quality quality manufacturers...

I've seen a bunch of the CMMG blemish lowers going for $125 locally...

Hydguy
09-18-12, 00:52
Is there a lower out there that has QD sockets, like the Sig 516/716? That is one feature that I'd love to build in.

The Knights SR-15s have them, but I have never seen a factory stripped lower from them.
Occasionally you might find one floating around on TOS, GB, or GunsAmerica...

Koshinn
09-18-12, 01:00
Doesn't the vltor lower have them?

fdxpilot
09-18-12, 12:13

That's a fairly major change to the standard design. As mentioned, KAC has a QD socket, but I don't know if they sell lowers separately. It also involves some other changes to the standard caused by the placement of the QD socket.

My favorite lower was a Daniels Defense, which has a nice flared magwell. Unfortunately, with the high demand for complete rifles from DD, they no longer sell lowers separately. I currently have a large stash of PSA lowers. I have built 3 rifles using them and had no problems at all with parts fit or mag insertion and release.

BTW- Someone mentioned Roggio. If you do a search here, IIRC, major problems with the dimensions of Roggio lowers, such as tight magwells and improper threading for REs.