PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your 9mm S&W Shields?

Whitebrad25
08-27-12, 14:52
I am looking for a carry gun for the GF and something this size and in 9mm would be great for her. I was also looking at the Ruger LC9 but the trigger is pretty rough so I think of it as a secondary choice...

I know there was a lot of talk on these when they first hit the shelves but now I really don't read too many threads on them.

Steve S.
08-27-12, 15:13
I really like the one I'd picked up for production. I didn't expect to like it as much as I do.

It's got a pretty good trigger and can use some APEX parts I hear (I honestly don't mind it though). The safety is well placed. Though I'd rather it didn't have one, I'm sure the safety is the reason it doesn't have an LCP/LC9 style trigger. It seems manufacturers shy away from standard triggers on "pocket pistols" - which the Shield can fall into that category.

Accuracy is phenomenal from such a tiny pistol. It handles a lot better than similar autoloaders in it's size (Kahrs, Rugers, etc) but this could have a lot to do with the trigger. Recoil and muzzle flip is very minimal, even compared to duty sized pistol standards.

Sights are quite nice OEM. Black out the rear, paint pen the front. Undercut the trigger guard and stipple the grip - and it helps a ton.

My only real complaints are I wish the trigger was a bit lighter, there was a larger extended mag to carry as a spare, and that the magazine bodies were black. It also seems like S&W is having a hard time keeping these on the shelf, so there is a current supply problem as well.

It makes a great BUG, but I have no problems pushing it into a primary role when I can't easily conceal my usual G19 or a G26. It works well OWB, but really shines IWB because of the single stack design. It can disappear with just about any style of clothing. A good Tuckable holster will really play to this pistol's traits.

I'd say buy with confidence. I understand there is a replica available now, so I could sell it. But I will not be parting with this, unless Glock ever releases the long-rumored single stack 9mm, and it proved to be a better performer.

Carry safety off, but train to disengage it - and you'll be all set. It's eaten all varieties of SD HP loads, aside from some Golden Sabers that my Glocks won't even cycle properly.

http://img.tapatalk.com/63795e03-5928-ec45.jpg

markm
08-27-12, 15:29
M&P sheild. Amazing gun. Compact as hell, but very shootable.

jpmuscle
08-27-12, 15:47
I picked one up a couple weeks ago from buds police and it has exceeded my expectations. For a stock trigger it is really really good albeit a tad heavier than I would prefer as Steve S. noted but that is easily remedied if one desires. I had been looking at a M&P9 compact initially but figured I snag one of these if I could since they are real hard to come by and I'm glad I did. I see the shield as capable of filling a primary role if need be but for me it will predominately be used for IWB or AIWB warm weather carry.

Hopefully the line evolves to include a .45 as well as full-size models.

Glock30
08-27-12, 16:17
I am looking for a carry gun for the GF and something this size and in 9mm would be great for her. I was also looking at the Ruger LC9 but the trigger is pretty rough so I think of it as a secondary choice...

I know there was a lot of talk on these when they first hit the shelves but now I really don't read too many threads on them.

same here:D I'm possibly looking at this one for the wife, but I'm not too excited about the safety on it. Out of the 6 or 7 local gun store here, neither one can keep this gun in stock to more than 24 hrs. They go pretty quick.

jmp45
08-27-12, 17:14
I picked one up recently. My wife is very petite and I was concerned about felt recoil and if she could manage the shield. She has no problem with this auto, racking and recoil. It's a very soft shooter for a compact. Trigger was a little gritty but it's starting to smooth out with use. I APEX'd my FS9, this I'll leave it stock for CCW it's just fine for that. Safety is a non issue with me, it's non obtrusive in any way. We both really like it. I'll be getting another for my wife when they are available.

I took it out to Grant's to see what he thought of it for a show and tell. Grant took it out back to test fire. He has a 55 gallon barrel lid over 100 yds and other targets over 200 yds and 300 yds down in the valley. First shot he hit the barrel lid at 100 yds. Grant then moved to the 200+ yd target and hit it with the second shot. Seriously, I would have never believed that could even be possible if had I not witnessed it. I could barely even see the 200+ yd target.

packinaglock
08-27-12, 18:04
I picked one up recently. My wife is very petite and I was concerned about felt recoil and if she could manage the shield. She has no problem with this auto, racking and recoil. It's a very soft shooter for a compact. Trigger was a little gritty but it's starting to smooth out with use. I APEX'd my FS9, this I'll leave it stock for CCW it's just fine for that. Safety is a non issue with me, it's non obtrusive in any way. We both really like it. I'll be getting another for my wife when they are available.

I took it out to Grant's to see what he thought of it for a show and tell. Grant took it out back to test fire. He has a 55 gallon barrel lid over 100 yds and other targets over 200 yds and 300 yds down in the valley. First shot he hit the barrel lid at 100 yds. Grant then moved to the 200+ yd target and hit it with the second shot. Seriously, I would have never believed that could even be possible if had I not witnessed it. I could barely even see the 200+ yd target.

Yea, yea, thanks for rubbing salt in old wounds, I remember when my wife was in her 20's & 30's even a few of her 40's and was very petite. Still a good woman just not very petite. :(

JHC
08-27-12, 18:08
Yea, yea, thanks for rubbing salt in old wounds, I remember when my wife was in her 20's & 30's even a few of her 40's and was very petite. Still a good woman just not very petite. :(

You sir never have to prove your courage ever again. :lol:

jmp45
08-27-12, 18:14
Get on a wait list, you won't regret it.

d90king
08-27-12, 18:32
M&P sheild. Amazing gun. Compact as hell, but very shootable.

Pretty much this. It is very easy to shoot this pistol well and it has proven to be both accurate and reliable to date. Great little pistol.

Redhat
08-27-12, 19:09
How does it compare to the M&P 9c? I'm on the fence between the two. Haven't been able to lay hands on a Shield locally.

Redbeardsong
08-27-12, 19:36
I don't own one yet, but I've shot one and sold a lot of them at work. It shoots much better than my LC9: Excellent trigger (better than the other M&Ps), accurate, and easy to shoot. The recoil wasn't much more than the M&P9c. I've sold them to several customers who are notorious gear hogs/gun-flippers and they both have told me they're not giving up their Shields.

vicious_cb
08-27-12, 21:52
I can't find one in stock, anywhere :(

Irish
08-27-12, 21:59
I have a suit & tie job and am contemplating buying one of these. I wear tailored suits and my trusty Glock just won't cut it due to it's thickness. Lately I've been carrying my G26 in my briefcase but am looking for an alternative. Any thoughts on the "slimness" and "concealability" while wearing a suit in an NPE using the Shield?

NoveskeFan
08-27-12, 22:17
I have a suit & tie job and am contemplating buying one of these. I wear tailored suits and my trusty Glock just won't cut it due to it's thickness. Lately I've been carrying my G26 in my briefcase but am looking for an alternative. Any thoughts on the "slimness" and "concealability" while wearing a suit in an NPE using the Shield?

I was lucky to find one at my LGS the other week. It is very slim, and with the 7rd mag you should have no problem with a tuckable IWB. It feels a bit big to me for pocket carry. I found a company on eBay that sells a tuckable IWB that you strap on over you undershirt like a belt style shirt keeper. It allows you to fully tuck in your shirt. I think they were called Tactipac. That said, I have some Raven Concealment goodies headed my way.

Steve S.
08-27-12, 22:53

I may or may not have worn it while in a suit in a NPE.

I'd imagine if I did, that it would work very well for such a thing.

;-)

ddnguyen9
08-27-12, 23:15
I picked up a S&W 9mm Shield when it first arrived at my local LE gun store (Proforce). It was my intention to replace my Glock 26 Gen4 during the summer months since the Shield is a single stack and easier to conceal with just a t-shirt.

So far I like the gun. The Shield feels great in your hand. The accuracy very good for a tiny firearm. My two gripes about the Shield is the trigger (a little heavy) and no night sights from the manufacturer. Hopefully the trigger will smooth out after some use. I put less than 100 rounds through it.

I am sure S&W will package the Shield with some night sights in the future. I can't really complain since I got the Shield for less than $350.00. I contacted Trijicon and they stated they are in the process of making some night sights.

I plan on wearing Shield with a Crossbreed Minituck (IWB). I wear my Glock 26 Gen4 with a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe (IWB). Those are the most comfortable IWB holsters I have tried.

Whitebrad25
08-27-12, 23:39
I haven't been able to post back until now so I haven't been able to comment on some of your posts. Thanks for the feedback.

I half expected great results from end users but I am disappointed as well....I was hoping someone would mention how much they hated it so I could offer my Aimpoint PRO (possibly plus cash) for a trade :cray: but, alas, it is good.

My girlfriend actually really enjoys shooting. She has been mad at me ever since I sold my 1911 and my shotgun (a few years back). I want 9mm because I have so much of the ammo and, frankly, I don't want her carrying less since I know she can handle it easily. She loves to shoot and that's why I don't want her to get the Ruger! The trigger is just so different I think she won't want to shoot it at the range...

As far as safeties, I will let her rock it how she wants but I have conveyed my opinion with safeties on a carry gun (especially pocket carry guns). I carry a Walther PPS and she knows I carry hot. I explain my philosophy, and, when she is comfortable, that she should carry loaded as well. Anyways, topic for another day....

I wasn't looking to spend money, or get on a waiting list...I want to send my Walther PPS to Robar for an NP3+ finish but I would need a backup in the meantime (I don't have any other carry-type handguns).

Any extra feedback is great but I think I get the gist.

Steve S.
08-28-12, 00:40
I haven't been able to post back until now so I haven't been able to comment on some of your posts. Thanks for the feedback.

I half expected great results from end users but I am disappointed as well....I was hoping someone would mention how much they hated it so I could offer my Aimpoint PRO (possibly plus cash) for a trade :cray: but, alas, it is good.

My girlfriend actually really enjoys shooting. She has been mad at me ever since I sold my 1911 and my shotgun (a few years back). I want 9mm because I have so much of the ammo and, frankly, I don't want her carrying less since I know she can handle it easily. She loves to shoot and that's why I don't want her to get the Ruger! The trigger is just so different I think she won't want to shoot it at the range...

As far as safeties, I will let her rock it how she wants but I have conveyed my opinion with safeties on a carry gun (especially pocket carry guns). I carry a Walther PPS and she knows I carry hot. I explain my philosophy, and, when she is comfortable, that she should carry loaded as well. Anyways, topic for another day....

I wasn't looking to spend money, or get on a waiting list...I want to send my Walther PPS to Robar for an NP3+ finish but I would need a backup in the meantime (I don't have any other carry-type handguns).

Any extra feedback is great but I think I get the gist.

Don't take this the wrong way, but skip the Robar NP3, get the Shield, and keep the AimPoint. The Shield and PRO will do a lot more for you than a refinished slide.

Just my $0.02

Ed L.
08-28-12, 00:49
I have a 9mm shield that I've fired about 250 rounds through. Even though I could not get my pinky around the grip with the flush-fitting 7 round magazine, the gun was very comfortable to shoot.

It shoots well and feels really good in the hand--I know the latter is not a quantifiable comment.

I experienced a single malfunction which occurred right after the first round fired out of the gun. It seemed like the slide did not go all the way back and then come all the way forward. Even though it ejected the case, it did not feed a new round, nor did the slide close all the way. The magazine was properly seated. I had a difficult time getting all 7 rounds into the 7 round mag. My guess is that the pressure from the top round against the bottom of the slide retarded the slide from going back all the way and then closing all the way.

I left both mags loaded for a while and since that single malfunction the gun has been fine.

As for the Shield's manual safety, I choose to leave it off. I've worked with it dry from the holster and live fire and found it to be too small and very hard to disengage as part of a drawstroke. I understand that they needed to fit it in some way that did not compromise the gun's slim flat profile.

And I'm someone who uses a manual safety on my M&P9 & M&P45, My H&K USP & HK45s, and my 1911s.

The Stock Shield trigger was an improvement over other stock M&P triggers that I experienced. I plan on leaving the trigger stock. It's definitely not as good as my Gen 2 Glocks' stock 5.5lb trigger.

tire iron
08-28-12, 00:51
I was VERY pleasantly surprised with how much I thoroughly enjoy my Shield!

http://tireironscorner.blogspot.com/2012/06/s-m-shield-my-new-pocket-rocket.html

cheers

tire iron

Hot Sauce
08-28-12, 01:20
Is there any way to manually remove that safety ala the double-stack M&Ps? I'm guessing no, since no one has mentioned it yet. Being such a stubby thing, it seems more of a liability than anything. And I'm someone who prefers carrying with a (more functional) thumb safety.

dirvo85
08-28-12, 02:33
I absolutely adored my Shield until I took a fall today at the Evergreen State Fair getting on to that stupid hang glider ride and ripped a hole in my favorite shirt with the rear sights in a crossbreed supertuck.

To the shields credit the sights are fine. Just a little scratching on the rear dovetail. I love it though! It has become my primary carry and once I get some CT grips it will be the "answer" to my ccw needs.

It is super accurate and has a very nice out of box trigger that's lightened up with live and dry fire. No malfs to report.

The thumb safety is a non issue in my opinion. It's hard to accidentally activate the safety but easy to sweep off.

I'm also very impressed with the fact that there have been no teething issues with the 9mm Shield. I know the .40 S&W has been having some magazine drop issues. I haven't been able to replicate these issues with my 9 Shield.

I like it much better than the PPS 9 I owned. It doesn't seem as square and it's much more tame in the muzzle flip department, although muzzle flip can be subjective.

Whitebrad25
08-28-12, 02:46
Don't take this the wrong way, but skip the Robar NP3, get the Shield, and keep the AimPoint. The Shield and PRO will do a lot more for you than a refinished slide.

Just my $0.02

Not true. I work as an Aquatics director and spend many hours in dealing with pure chlorine. It eats at everything. After speaking with several people, the finish they offer is what I need. It isn't about looks, it's for the protection. I actually don't prefer the looks of the refinish as it takes away the brilliant German markings on the PPS. But, life over limb, I don't want rust on my carry gun.

I am also selling/trading the PRO because I have a Micro T1 on the way. I don't need that optic just sitting and right now I have several NFA projects I want to get going as well.

Whitebrad25
08-28-12, 02:50
It doesn't seem as square and it's much more tame in the muzzle flip department, although muzzle flip can be subjective.

That is interesting, I have over 3k through my PPS and I must say, I don't notice muzzle rise/flip when either my gf or myself shoot it.

It is subjective though, as you said.

dirvo85
08-28-12, 03:18
That is interesting, I have over 3k through my PPS and I must say, I don't notice muzzle rise/flip when either my gf or myself shoot it.

It is subjective though, as you said.

Exactly!

I loved my PPS. I didn't consider the muzzle flip to be horrendous. That isn't why I sold it. I sold it because I have a Kel-Tec PF9 with CT grips. While the Kel-Tec and the PPS are non comparable in the quality and shootability department, I just couldn't get the PPS in my rotation.

I can't stand my PF9! It is not fun to shoot and although I've only had one FTextract in many, many rounds, I do not trust it! I don't trust the quality or the reliability. Besides all of that, the PF9 is just painful and not fun to shoot! Therefore it doesn't get the practice time at the range like the others get.

The PPS was a fine gun. I wish I owned,both, the PPS and the Shield at the same time so that I could've done a side by side comparison. All of my observations are based upon memory of what the PPS was like compared to how the Shield is. My memory also tells me that the trigger on the Shield is better than the PPS. The Shield has little take up, a clean break, no grit (after a few hundred rounds and a few hundred dry fires), and the reset is audible and tactile.

IMO, both the PPS and the Shield are way better than the PF9 (unfair comparison), Taurus PT709, Kahrs (because of the triggers) , Rorbaugh (ludicrous price), and a few others. I give the edge to the Shield because of the price, shootability, trigger, and aesthetics (not as blocky). Although YMMV.

Whitebrad25
08-28-12, 03:50
Those are nice talking points....I want to clarify that I am not, and won't, get rid of my PPS lol...Just think the convo is going sideways.

I bet the shield has a better trigger. The reset is my only gripe on the PPS. My trigger has smoothed out greatly and on waltherforums I mentioned the definite shift at the 800 round mark...It was eerily different. My accuracy (POA/POI) was wayyy off in the same range trip. No other way to describe it other than it, "smoothed up". I do wish it had a better reset though and the shield is touted for having a great trigger (I have even seen videos of the reset and break, it is definitely nice). Though, in reality, for the type of guns these are, we are really just having our cake and eating it too. These close quarters/carry types (IMO) don't need fantastic triggers. It helps make you want to practice more, sure, but to many it is a non-issue for the role.

I will give another nod to the shield in the price department...I paid $640 for my PPS (bought a BA Code but it was right before their price dipped down a month later). I don't mind though, because, as with most things in life, if you are happy, then it was money well spent.

C4IGrant
08-28-12, 11:30
Is there any way to manually remove that safety ala the double-stack M&Ps? I'm guessing no, since no one has mentioned it yet. Being such a stubby thing, it seems more of a liability than anything. And I'm someone who prefers carrying with a (more functional) thumb safety.

Just like an M&P, I think you can just pull it out and re-install the SHB.

C4

Pappabear
08-28-12, 11:32
I dig mine. Do some come with safety's, and others not. Mine does not have a manual safety.

Hot Sauce
08-28-12, 14:49
Just like an M&P, I think you can just pull it out and re-install the SHB.

C4

Thanks Grant, that's good to know!

Ed L.
08-28-12, 16:36
The safety is small and requires a definite action to engage. You could just leave the safety unengaged and run the gun the way you would a normal M&P without a manual safety and run the gun that way. The gun's internal passive safeties should be adequate for carry purposes.

The gun seems too big to me to pocket carry even in cargo pants. Even with the 7 round magazine that fits flush with the bottom of the grip, the grip is too long and the gun might get caught in your pocket when you are trying to draw it. This is coming from someone who regularly carrys a Kahr PM-9 or a S&W J frame in a pocket holster.

I think the Shield will be very popular with people who want to carry IWB but find most quality 9mm handguns to be too large or too wide. The Shield is small enough to be small, but big enough to handle--if that makes sense.

I forgot to mention that after the Shield's second range session I one of the white dots fell out of the rear sight.

Here is a picture of my Shield next to an AIWB holster and mag pouch made by Ludus Magnus Holsters. I tried the holster AIWB with snapcaps dry firing and carrying around the house and decided that I was more comfortable with the gun at 4 o'clock, which is where I normally carry IWB. The hloster is comfortable AIWB, but I wasn't and prefer to keep the gun where I am used to. Right now Ludus Magnus is only contactable by facebook as far as I know.

The photos show the front and rear of the holster and mag carrier.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/edagain/shield1.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/edagain/shield2.jpg

packinaglock
08-28-12, 16:46
I can't find one in stock, anywhere :(

Same here.

brushy bill
08-28-12, 19:14
I dig mine. Do some come with safety's, and others not. Mine does not have a manual safety.

You have a Shield with no manual safety? I didn't think these were out yet.

Joeywhat
08-28-12, 19:19
Only issue with mine is that it shipped without the pin that holds the sear disconnect lever.

Other then that I've had no issues with mine. It takes most standard M&P sights, recoil is relatively light, and more accurate then I. Mags are a bit difficult to find but I managed to get 3 extras.

Joeywhat
08-28-12, 19:21

Smith's site doesn't show any Shields without thumb safety...check again.

Freddie
08-28-12, 19:26
I took mine out today and put 50 or so rounds down range and I loved it. Real nice gun

Beat Trash
08-28-12, 20:10
I bought my Shield a week after they were anounced. At the time, I also had a PPS. I shot them both and kept the Shield.

I carry an issued M&P9 at work. Carry an M&P9c off duty. My Shield is sitting in a vest holster on my weak side as I'm typing this. It's my BUG. I use it off duty for those rare low threat/low profile situations that come up every so often. I bought a RCS phantom holster for this gun. My first RCS product. Won't be my last. Good holster.

My hand size is such that I can get my pinky on the grip with the 7rd magazine. I carry the 8 rd mag in the gun when used as a uniform BUG.

When I shoot my Shield, I quickly forget I'm shooting such a small gun and start to compare my performance with larger guns. The recoil control of the Shield is very similar to that of my M&P9c.

I actually like having the safety. I carry with the safety off. I think of it as a "storage safety" for those rare times I might put the gun in a glove box, on top of a cabinet, ect. I've played with it enough that I have no concerns that the safety would accidently become engaged when carried. I seem more apt to stash my smaller Shield places off-body that I am with my larger guns. When doing so, I like the option of the safety.

I always check my gun when holstering, quick chamber check. I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, but remembering to ensure the safety is off when checking the status of the gun hasn't been an issue for me.

My sample of one has a trigger that drastically improved with a bit of use and dry fire. I bought the gun with the intent of installing an Apex sear in it. For what I use the gun for, I'm not sure if I will bother. The factory trigger is acceptable as is.

I really like this gun. Only wish availability of the guns and of spare magazines were better at this time.

Nephrology
08-28-12, 21:49
I really like this gun. Only wish availability of the guns and of spare magazines were better at this time.

That's the kicker. I was desperately looking for one, saw a like-new J frame for 289, went with that instead. If I see one for sale in the future it will be mine, for certain.

MegademiC
08-28-12, 23:47
I picked up a shield(9mm) for the girl to use. Before I introduced her to it, I ran 200rds through in in 30-45 mins, doing some 25yard shooting, 7yd drills and 10 yard drills.

I was blown away. I shot almost as good as with my cz compact (g19 size).

The trigger feels pretty bad at first but after 200 rounds feels really good. Very crisp making 25 yard shots not an issue.

have about 400-500 rds through it (wwb) and have not had a single malfuction(1ftfeed but mag was not sat properly - see below).

As stated, mags are very difficult to load to max at first, and even harder to seat a 7+1 capacity. That said, this has never caused a malfunction. They are starting to loosen up now.

The gun shoots very comfortably and there is no struggling with it at all(I feel Im fighting agaist other subcompacts). Im probably gonna pick up another for myself. Im definitely getting an RCS vanguard 2 for it when my other pistol wont conceal well.

Summary:
Extremely easy to conceal, I'd wear it under a wife-beater with confidence no one would notice.

Reliable - 4/500 rounds isnt a huge amount, but its a smooth start and I havnt read of any issues yet.

Accurate/ergonomic/good trigger

Just needs night sights.

As for the mags, I might pick up a couple extras once they become readily available(im thinking 1 more of each capacity, for each gun if I get one). As a subcompact carry gun, Im not stocking up, just want a backup or two in the rare case I wear these ones out. However, its not a major issue for me.

Pappabear
08-29-12, 00:58
You have a Shield with no manual safety? I didn't think these were out yet.

Yes, I didn't know they made them with safety's. All I've seen did not have safety's. I prefer no safety.

MegademiC
08-29-12, 02:33
Yes, I didn't know they made them with safety's. All I've seen did not have safety's. I prefer no safety.

Your's shoul look like edL's above. That has a safety.

I'd like to see your's, as Im curious about what it looks like - left side(non-ejection port side).

Pappabear
08-29-12, 10:12
Ed's looks like he has a spot carved out for safety. I don't remember seeing anything. There is no safety, but there might be a groove. I just asked Markm if he remembered any such business.

I didn't over study the gun, bought it and shot the piss out of one day. Cleaned it and stuffed it in a holster and carry it. Wait a second, I don't think I really cleaned it. Kinda wiped it off.

Good gun.

d90king
08-29-12, 10:21
Ed's looks like he has a spot carved out for safety. I don't remember seeing anything. There is no safety, but there might be a groove. I just asked Markm if he remembered any such business.

I didn't over study the gun, bought it and shot the piss out of one day. Cleaned it and stuffed it in a holster and carry it. Wait a second, I don't think I really cleaned it. Kinda wiped it off.

Good gun.

Can you please post pics of your Shield. Thanks in advance.

Pappabear
08-29-12, 10:39
When I get back to Az , I will post a pic.

MCS
08-29-12, 10:54
This will be my next buy after I sell my OD G27.

ShipWreck
08-29-12, 13:40
I got one after renting a Shield at my local range. Spent the next 2.5 months trying to get a 2nd one.

I even sold my 2.5 year old Kahr PM9 the very week I got my first one...

I have 1900 rounds thru the pair (total). Gun has less recoil than many double stack subcompacts I have previously owned. This is the first subcompact I can shoot so well, too. First time I don't feel like I am making a compromise on my accuracy to have such a small gun.

I pocket carry mine daily (I wear cargo pants).

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/pocket1.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/doubleshield.jpg

RCI1911
08-29-12, 14:57
Either I'm in the minority or just had my hands on a bad example because the Shield they just got in stock at my local range had a terrible trigger. Very heavy and not an improvement over the M&P's IMO. Also I did not care for the contour of the grip. I have small hands and expected the smaller grip to feel right at home but I did not care for the profile of the front strap and backstrap. I also wish they would have left the manual safety off the gun or made it larger.

Triggers can be fixed and I'm sure the grip feels just right for alot of people. Overall I have not heard of any reliability problems with the Shields which would be right in line the the M&P line.

fourXfour
08-29-12, 15:14
I love mine. I did have a hard time getting a good grip on the gun. It was a little too slick in my hand while shooting. I picked up a set of the Talon sandpaper grips and it really makes a difference. I'm not sure how they will feel when I carry it concealed.

My wife shot it as well and it definitely fit her hands really well. She didn't mind the recoil and preferred it over my Glock 17C. Maybe by Christmas time the prices will come down and I can get her one.

08-29-12, 15:17
I, like many others bought the shield as a CCW for my wife. She is very petite ( 5'0, 110). She tried it out at the gun stores range, and fell in love with it. Her and I shot the piss out of it with only one hiccup: the very first shot knocked the white paint out of the front sight. A pair of standard m&p tru glo's fixed that issue. We have approximately 800 rounds through the gun with one cleaning at 200 rounds. No mechanical hiccups to report. I find myself carrying the gun more than my wife. It carries much better than my G 19, which is my primary off duty gun. I wear the shield when im in gym shorts, or concealment is more of an issue. I dont feel undergunned with it. I think I'm just going to buy another if I can get my hands on one.

I have large hands, and find both magazines fit my hand well, with the extended being more comfortable than the standard mag. It is damn accurate and shoot able for such a small gun. Smith and Wesson hit a home run with the shield.

ShipWreck
08-29-12, 15:45
I didn't have a preference for either magazine until after the 1k mark. Now, I have found that I like shorter magazine better. Just makes the gun feel better in my hands than the longer magazine.

As for the comment about the trigger - I have hated M&Ps because of their factory triggers. I have rented a 9mm and a 45 cal one when they very first came out a few years ago. I almost didn't even bother to try the Shield because of this.

But, I really like the Shield's trigger on my two...

NoveskeFan
08-29-12, 17:31
Many, me included, are interested in removing the safety on our Shields. Those interested should look on Youtube by searching "M&P Shield manual safety removal". I'm not advocating this and not responsible if you jack up your perfectly fine firearm:D Just thought I'd share with those that haven't found an answer to their question.

Ed L.
08-29-12, 19:35
Ed's looks like he has a spot carved out for safety. I don't remember seeing anything. There is no safety, but there might be a groove.

Mine has the safety. In the photo the safety is in the off or disengaged position. I would love to see a picture of yours, Pappabear. You may have some undocumented version of the Shield.

I would rather not have the safety and not have the gap in that part of the frame that removing the safety would leave. I only reached that conclusion after some hands-on experience trying to incorporate it into the drawstroke. I'm just going to leave it unengaged and run the gun that way.

Mike169
08-30-12, 07:47
Many, me included, are interested in removing the safety on our Shields. Those interested should look on Youtube by searching "M&P Shield manual safety removal". I'm not advocating this and not responsible if you jack up your perfectly fine firearm:D Just thought I'd share with those that haven't found an answer to their question.

Wow that's actually pretty easy!

NoveskeFan
08-30-12, 08:18
Wow that's actually pretty easy!

Yeah, looks like a quick dremel job and then leave the lever in. As long as you cut off that hooked portion, it won't matter if the safety is "engaged" or not. Maybe someone will come out with a modified safety lever that has that part removed and fully fills in the lever side of the frame.

tire iron
08-30-12, 13:09
Either I'm in the minority or just had my hands on a bad example because the Shield they just got in stock at my local range had a terrible trigger. Very heavy and not an improvement over the M&P's IMO. Also I did not care for the contour of the grip. I have small hands and expected the smaller grip to feel right at home but I did not care for the profile of the front strap and backstrap. I also wish they would have left the manual safety off the gun or made it larger.

Triggers can be fixed and I'm sure the grip feels just right for alot of people. Overall I have not heard of any reliability problems with the Shields which would be right in line the the M&P line.

My Shield had a heavy trigger pull too - I installed an APEX sear and now the trigger is SWEET. Better than my full size with an APEX sear.

cheers

tire iron

Pappabear
08-30-12, 14:44
Can you please post pics of your Shield. Thanks in advance.

d90king,

through my astute observations and counter surveillance, someone snuck into my safe and placed a safety in my Shield. And I am going to have to blame someone on this thread. Probably d90! ha ****ing ha.

Holy shit I would have lost my shirt on that bet. I never even saw the safety and shot about 200 rounds in one day. Worse than that, I have fondled the gun enough in daily carry. :eek: When I got home and pulled that shield out I just kept starring at thinking, wow- how did I never see that safety. I truly did not think it had a safety. Admitingly, I was looking for a larger manual safety like my HK or FNP.

I will therefore say this, the safety does not bother me. And I would have preferred no safety on striker guns. I wont use this safety, but it isnt a obnoxious protruding deal.

I think it is safe to say , I didnt obsess over this gun, but still :eek:

d90king
08-30-12, 15:34
d90king,

through my astute observations and counter surveillance, someone snuck into my safe and placed a safety in my Shield. And I am going to have to blame someone on this thread. Probably d90! ha ****ing ha.

Holy shit I would have lost my shirt on that bet. I never even saw the safety and shot about 200 rounds in one day. Worse than that, I have fondled the gun enough in daily carry. :eek: When I got home and pulled that shield out I just kept starring at thinking, wow- how did I never see that safety. I truly did not think it had a safety. Admitingly, I was looking for a larger manual safety like my HK or FNP.

I will therefore say this, the safety does not bother me. And I would have preferred no safety on striker guns. I wont use this safety, but it isnt a obnoxious protruding deal.

lol I knew it had a safety, I was just waiting for you to discover it. :blink: I thought a pic request was the most polite way of getting to the bottom of it...

The safety has never bothered me in the least, and to be honest, its almost like its not even there (I run it with it off at all times)...

Thanks for clearing it up. Train hard and stay safe.

Pappabear
08-30-12, 16:06
I kinda thought you knew it too. I starred at that gun like a deer in headlights. Laughed at myself hard. Not a bad idea to clean your gun before you shoot. And possible clean after you shoot it.

I may go extreme tonight and field strip and clean it.

Ed L.
08-30-12, 19:58
Not to worry, Pappabear.

I actually did think that you might have some undocumentedly rare Shield without a safety.

ra2bach
08-31-12, 10:41
d90king,

since I AIWB the Shield, I treat the safety as an administrative safety device and nothing more. fearing "glock-leg" (or worse :eek: ) I apply the safety to holster but release it when it is securely holstered. I suppose it could somehow be activated while in the holster but the detent is pretty stiff and I don't worry about that.

btw, has anyone found suitable sights for this gun? the stock rear has a murderous sharp edge on the top/rear and I think I'd like a thinner front blade. night sights are not important to me...

Pappabear
08-31-12, 10:44
I shot this Shield last night, and when I cleared the gun and removed my hollow points to put cheap ball ammo in it, I used the safety for this function. Kinda liked it!

ryr8828
08-31-12, 10:47
I'd love to buy one but no one local has any.

Boris
08-31-12, 13:22
10-8 Performance will be offering sights for the Shield this fall.

Beat Trash
08-31-12, 14:38
I just got back from my Agency's target range. I put another 150 rds through my Shield. As I was shooting steel, I was shooting frangible ammunition (policy). About 50 rds of this was shooting a pie plate rack from 25 yds. No issues hitting the 6" plates at 25 yds, so long as I was paying attention to what I was doing. This is using the frangible ammunition, which isn't the most accurate out there.

The more time I spend with this little gun, the more it grows on me.

Steve S.
08-31-12, 16:06
I really wish S&W would make an extended mag, but do it like the Surefire 60s. Have the bottom double stack and bottleneck to single stack at the top. That way users could carry one spare mag with something like 12-15 rounds.

No idea if this is possible, but Surefire and some AK mags seemed to make it work on long guns.

ra2bach
09-01-12, 10:24
I really wish S&W would make an extended mag, but do it like the Surefire 60s. Have the bottom double stack and bottleneck to single stack at the top. That way users could carry one spare mag with something like 12-15 rounds.

No idea if this is possible, but Surefire and some AK mags seemed to make it work on long guns.

not the Shield but I use a full size 17-rd mag with X-grip adapter in my 9Compact sometimes. it works well and I shoot this as good as my FS but what really surprised me is the addition of the Mecgar +2 baseplates to the 12-rd mag. I shoot better with this combination than all of the rest. go figure... :confused:

Cazwell
09-01-12, 12:58
what really surprised me is the addition of the Mecgar +2 baseplates to the 12-rd mag. I shoot better with this combination than all of the rest. go figure... :confused:

Did you have to shape or contour the Mecgar baseplates to fit the M&P? Do you by chance have a pic? Making my M&P 9c G19 sized? :)

ra2bach
09-02-12, 09:31
Did you have to shape or contour the Mecgar baseplates to fit the M&P? Do you by chance have a pic? Making my M&P 9c G19 sized? :)

the total capacity with the Mec gar is 14 + 1 so it's one down from a G19. overall length is almost the same even though it's got a 3.5" barrel and the Glock has a 4" but the grip fits my hand better than the Glock and with the small grip on, it's also considerably thinner. it also is the most elegant application of adding a Crimson Trace laser to a pistol if that's an issue

I did not do any contouring of either the baseplate or the magwell but I understand some people do. I just rammed the mag home and left it for awhile and it works just ducky. it's a snug fit but it's absolutely stable in the hand and I can get all three fingers on it comfortably - better than the pinky extension which adds no capacity.

just to make sure, I went ahead and spritzed the contact point with some automotive silicone spray but this wasn't needed as all mags already ejected even when empty.

I don't have pics but here's a link to one. notice the guy did some clearance work on his but again, I didn't have to -- http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/218385-mec-gear-2-magazine-extensions-my-m-p-9mm-mags.html

and just to get you even further agitated, X-grip makes an adapter for using full size 17-rd mags in the 9 Compact -- http://x-grips.com/products/smithwesson-mp/

they fit extremely well when in place but are not very stable on the mag when it's out of the gun (maybe a little rubber cement would handle this). adding a Mecgar +2 baseplate gives you 20 rounds in a M&P9 Compact :eek:

doing this is a bit of a press fit and I would trim the X-Grip adapter a couple thousands but I don't go that far - I'm happy with just the FS mags and 18 rds in a Compact... :)

Cazwell
09-03-12, 00:03
Thanks, great info!

JB326
09-03-12, 00:25
After several weeks on the waiting list at a local cop shop, I finally got my Shield 9mm, which is replacing a Kel-Tec PF9 that I sold a while back. Needless to say, the Shield is head and shoulders above what the Kel-Tec was, and it is nice to have a wee gun that I actually feel confident in, even though I've got a very low round count on mine at this point. Mine has a very nice, crisp trigger on it, that feels much better than the trigger on my fullsize M&P 9 that impulse bought while filling out the paperwork on the Shield.

IZinterrogator
09-03-12, 01:47
I like mine, carry it everywhere when I'm in civvies and not going on post. My friends shot it during a bachelor party last month and everyone liked it except for one guy who found the grip not fat enough for his liking. But hey, compact double stacks are a dime a dozen so he's not missing out, unlike those of us who aren't fans of double stack compacts.

10-23-12, 19:54
I've been carrying my wife's Shield quite often lately. It just seems to disappear when I'm carrying it.

It's also been shot. Often. My 9mm is in excess of 900 malfunction free rounds. I could not be more pleased with it. I just need more magazines now.

Many of my co workers have asked about it for a back up/ off duty gun. They all like the size, capacity, and feel of it. None of them have been successful in finding one. They are hens teeth locally and online.

PureBS90
08-18-13, 22:19
I installed Ameriglo SW-251 recently and love them. They are a lot like Trijicon HD but better in my opinion. The rear dots are more refined and prevalent, plus the front orange outline makes daytime target acquisition great. The Ameriglo SW-251 are Shield specific, so no overhang, and they are about $50-$60 cheaper than Trijicon HD. By the way the tritium inserts in the Ameriglos are Trijicon.

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/smith-wesson/night-sights/complete-sets

dlh2689
08-22-13, 10:48
It's a compact gun that I can shoot like a full size. I love mine and I'd highly recommend getting one.

Beat Trash
08-22-13, 18:52
Does anyone know who might have a set of the Ameriglo SW-251 sights in stock?

Irish
08-22-13, 19:08
Recall on Shields... http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_791654_-1_757978_757978_image

PureBS90
08-23-13, 12:24
Does anyone know who might have a set of the Ameriglo SW-251 sights in stock?

I periodically checked Ameriglo's website, and they usually are in stock every three weeks or so. Just keep checking their site. Also, http://www.opticsplanet.com/ sometimes has them in stock. Good luck getting a set, I really love mine so far.

demkofour
08-23-13, 17:18
Deleted

calviroman
08-24-13, 00:19
Shield with regular S&W M&P Trijicon HD's:

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/calviroman/DSCN3104.jpg (http://s921.photobucket.com/user/calviroman/media/DSCN3104.jpg.html)

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/calviroman/DSCN3098.jpg (http://s921.photobucket.com/user/calviroman/media/DSCN3098.jpg.html)

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/calviroman/DSCN3086.jpg (http://s921.photobucket.com/user/calviroman/media/DSCN3086.jpg.html)

Gary1911A1
08-24-13, 04:29
It's a compact gun that I can shoot like a full size. I love mine and I'd highly recommend getting one.

I agree. Just big enough without being to big for me.

prez1967
08-24-13, 08:45
My shield was too small for my hands.

Concealed like a dream and the quality of the gun was there, but it rotated in my hand too much while shooting. I sold it.

I have a G26 on the way so we'll see how that goes.

Ultimately, my G36 and G19 conceal just fine.

prq9218
08-24-13, 15:08
Love mine so far, only problem is one of the rear dots came out while shooting which is fine since I'll be replacing the sights anyway. It is an extremely soft shooter, was surprised with how little recoil there was the first time I shot it.

I carry it in a Theis hybrid holster and it almost disappears, I forget I'm wearing it all the time.

MegademiC
08-25-13, 00:58
Love mine so far, only problem is one of the rear dots came out while shooting which is fine since I'll be replacing the sights anyway. It is an extremely soft shooter, was surprised with how little recoil there was the first time I shot it.

I carry it in a Theis hybrid holster and it almost disappears, I forget I'm wearing it all the time.

I had this also. Contaminates can keep paint from sticking. Use acetone or alcohol to clean out the dimple, let it dry and dab some acrylic testers or nail paint in there. It's basically what the factory puts in there.

ddnguyen9
08-25-13, 01:32
***IMPORTANT!!!!***

ALL M&P SHIELD OWNERS PLEASE READ THIS!

Stop using and inspect your M&P Shield pistol!!!

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_791654_-1_757978_757978_image

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2013/08/22/stop-using-and-inspect-your-mp-shield-pistol-now/

(If this has been posted already, I apologize)

Yes, this was already posted in this exact thread, in post number 76. Yours is post 84. Please read the thread you are posting in. -SeriousStudent.

ddnguyen9
08-25-13, 01:35
***IMPORTANT!!!!***

ALL M&P SHIELD OWNERS PLEASE READ THIS!

Stop using and inspect your M&P Shield pistol!!!

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2013/08/22/stop-using-and-inspect-your-mp-shield-pistol-now/

(If this has been posted already, I apologize)

My M&P Shield 9mm serial number is in the DXY1000s. I conducted this inspection and determined my Shield does not have this malfunction.