PDA

View Full Version : Troy Vtac TRX 13"

ridgerunner70
08-27-12, 21:16
Anybody have any issues installing the 4" rail mount for a bipod on a mid length? There is not much clearance between the YHM low profile gas block and the inside of the hand guard.

VIP3R 237
08-27-12, 21:37
I had a hard time not having contact under the gas block with the trx extreme. its a common issue.

BJV
08-27-12, 23:51
These (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/235207/noveske-trx-trx-alpha-accessory-backing-plate-10-32-threads-package-of-2) may be of help.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw that you have the VTAC version of the rail. These would not be of help.

VIP3R 237
08-28-12, 00:47
These (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/235207/noveske-trx-trx-alpha-accessory-backing-plate-10-32-threads-package-of-2) may be of help.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw that you have the VTAC version of the rail. These would not be of help.

But they'll help my with my alpha, thanks for the link.

ridgerunner70
08-28-12, 05:05
Thanks for the link; I'm wondering if someone makes something like that for the VTAC?

krm375
08-28-12, 06:25
I had some issues with my Troy VTAC touching the gas block. it was time consuming, but I used a grinding wheel to take a little bit off at a time of the steel backer until it fit at the 6o'clock position so it would not touch at all under the handguard.

Aegis
08-28-12, 19:26
I had luck machining (or you can grind) the 2 smaller inside attaching points of the rail so they sit on either side of the gas block. Not a problem with it strength wise and will allow the most clearance. (being on either side vs. on top of the gas block)

As far as mounting tips:
I used a Popsicle stick with a dab of grease on it to hold the inside portions and locked it up with Blue loctitie. Mounting with the rifle right side up helps too.

Good luck!

ridgerunner70
08-28-12, 20:26
[QUOTE=Aegis;1381015]I had luck machining (or you can grind) the 2 smaller inside attaching points of the rail so they sit on either side of the gas block. Not a problem with it strength wise and will allow the most clearance. (being on either side vs. on top of the gas block)

As far as mounting tips:
I used a Popsicle stick with a dab of grease on it to hold the inside portions and locked it up with Blue loctitie. Mounting with the rifle right side up helps too.

Good luck![/QUOTE
Thanks I'll give this ago:)

ridgerunner70
08-29-12, 05:35
I had luck machining (or you can grind) the 2 smaller inside attaching points of the rail so they sit on either side of the gas block. Not a problem with it strength wise and will allow the most clearance. (being on either side vs. on top of the gas block)

As far as mounting tips:

Good luck!

Did you just machine the sides that was closet to the gas block or did you machine the whole attachment piece?

TRshootem
08-29-12, 17:10
I had issues with a 13" TRX Extreme on a 16" mid length. The rail mounting system for that tubular cheese grater needed some more engineering by Troy. Loved the looks, hated the dumb attachment system. I prefer a smoother hand guard with rail pieces to locate where needed. Currently shopping for something else, the Troy is gone.

DTHN2LGS
08-29-12, 17:22
When we installed a VTAC TRX on a friends 16" Mid, we encountered no problems using the Troy low-profile gas block.

mig1nc
08-29-12, 18:06
I have the same problem due to protruding set screws on the bottom of a PRI gas block.

Time to get out the dremel!

ridgerunner70
08-29-12, 18:23
I had issues with a 13" TRX Extreme on a 16" mid length. The rail mounting system for that tubular cheese grater needed some more engineering by Troy. Loved the looks, hated the dumb attachment system. I prefer a smoother hand guard with rail pieces to locate where needed. Currently shopping for something else, the Troy is gone.
Have you sold the Troy? My brother is looking for one.

Aegis
08-29-12, 19:47
Did you just machine the sides that was closet to the gas block or did you machine the whole attachment piece?

I just cut down the side closest to the gas block. Used the 2 piece set up. Still had to cut it.

Upper is 16"BCM BFH mid-length with the 13' VTAC rail.

Great setup; PITA to mount the rail pieces. I concur they need a better way of attaching.