PDA

View Full Version : Travel Advice: St Joseph, Missouri

ST911
08-28-12, 00:11
I have some upcoming travel to St Joseph, Missouri and was wondering about must-sees while there. I searched and read previous threads about firearms-related attractions, but I was wondering about other non-firearm related M4C member recommendations for eating and sight seeing that could be done in a couple of evenings and a short afternoon. Sites of historical significance are of particular interest.

No clubs, nightlife, etc. No bars unless the food is awesome and they're something pretty special. What should I not leave the area without seeing? Time is short, motivation is not. I'll have a car and am willing to go exploring.

Thanks in advance.

TahoeLT
08-29-12, 09:12
The two things that will probably be obvious (because they make sure you know about them!) are the Pony Express and Jesse James connections. Both have museums/attractions about them, so if you're into history they're worth a peek.

Fort Leavenworth isn't far, and there's some interesting stuff there. I can't really help with the dining/nightlife part, as that's not why I go to that area; some of the ranges I've used are around there.

Pumpkinheaver
08-31-12, 09:37
I'm on the otherside of the state but I have been told that the Glore Psychiatric museum is a neat one to see. They have various weird devices on display that used to be used to treat mental conditions in years past.

ST911
08-31-12, 09:41
Thanks all. The Jesse James thing seems to be the big attraction. I also have recommendations for the psych museum, as well as a funeral/mortuary museum.

How about places to eat? Ethnic/exotic is nice. High quality beef too.

Kilroy
08-31-12, 09:58
This was good:

Whiskey Creek
4016 Frederick Avenue
St. Joseph, MO 64501

ST911
09-03-12, 19:40
All done in St Joe. Thanks all for the posted and back-channel advice. Hit the Glore psych museum and the others in that building. The civil war medicine exhibit they were also running was small but well done.

Food at Whiskey Creek was GTG, as was a couple of other places.

St Joe was pretty decent overall. Easy to navigate. More traffic than I thought there would be. Late night trip out to the Walmart at the south end of Belt Hwy was interesting.

Noteworthy: Except for one traffic accident, I saw no, none, nada visible LE units anywhere, except some Missouri state folks on I29.

telecustom
09-03-12, 20:22
The south end of St Joe is always a little scary.

What were you on town for? Just wondering, maybe you where in town for Joestock. If so, I probably saw you there.

TahoeLT
09-06-12, 09:59
Late night trip out to the Walmart at the south end of Belt Hwy was interesting.

Yeeaaah...about that place, I heard (though it was from a friend prone to making up stories) that they have "singles night" at that Wal-Mart sometimes; you put a ribbon on your cart or something so others know you're available.

I wasn't brave enough to verify the story :)

ST911
09-06-12, 10:14
Yeeaaah...about that place, I heard (though it was from a friend prone to making up stories) that they have "singles night" at that Wal-Mart sometimes; you put a ribbon on your cart or something so others know you're available.

I wasn't brave enough to verify the story :)

Given what I saw, I would leave it open as a possibility.