PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Comments: Bushmaster ACR

DrDrake
01-31-08, 02:52
Bushmaster Firearms International, LLC (BFI) announced today that it has signed an exclusive license deal with Magpul Industries Corp. for the production, future development, and sales of Magpul’s prototype MASADA weapon system.

The Bushmaster ACR (Adaptive Combat Rifle) will initially be offered in 5.56 NATO, available for law enforcement and civilian purchase second quarter 2008. This release will be followed by military ACR versions in the 3rd quarter of 2008.

Without government funding or outside influence of any kind, the Masada concept was developed from scratch in Boulder, Colorado by Magpul’s Design Group. The Masada concept was first shown publicly at the 2007 Shot Show and its success prompted Magpul to spend a year redesigning the system for production.

The result is the ACR (Adaptive Combat Rifle) which keeps the fundamentals of the Masada concept with added advanced features such as firing pin block and true ambidextrous charging handle.

Among the ACR’s key features are a gas piston operating system, tool-less quick change barrel, multi-adjustable folding stock with integrated storage, and backward compatibility with a number of AR15/M16 parts. Due to similar operating controls, user transition from the M16 series of weapons is easily facilitated with minimal re-training.

The Bushmaster ACR will initially be available in 3 SKUS: Standard Carbine with fixed stock, Entry Carbine with folding stock, and Special Purpose Rifle with Precision Rifle Stock. Live fire demonstration and test and evaluations beginning in the end of March to qualified law enforcement, federal government agencies.

Okay guys, first things first – just to clear this up, the Bushmaster ACR (Adaptive Combat Rifle) is the final production version of the Masada prototype that we debuted at SHOT Show last year. Like the press release says, we’ve spent the last 12 months refining and re-designing the Masada, but I will not be posting any updates yet. The ACR will officially be unveiled at SHOT Show starting on Saturday, so do us a favor and have patience until then. If you happen to be in Vegas, swing by the Magpul and Bushmaster booths – there will be plenty of ACRs to play with. Photos welcome - just ask before you snap. Post 'em if you got 'em.

Next, I need to address some of the things I've been reading on the forums lately. From the get go, the idea behind the Masada was go big or go bust, no middle ground. We're going big. We designed the best rifle we could with the ultimate goal of putting it in civilian, law enforcement, and military hands. Licensing the design to a well-established American firearms manufacturer offered the best opportunity to achieve these original goals. Enter Bushmaster and the ACR.

We've spent a lot of time with the Bushmaster guys over the last few months. I have personally been impressed with them. Down to earth and and down to business, very stand up. We jived right off the bat. The tolerances and specs Magpul laid out for the original Masada were tight, and the Bushmaster guys didn't blink. Both sides of the table have kept open minds about the project, and Bushmaster will be building the ACR to the same quality and material standards as the original Magpul concept. The lines of communication on the ACR remain open between Bushmaster and Magpul.

As far as Magpul's direct involvement goes, we'll be designing and manufacturing all polymer ACR parts including, but not limited to, handguards, lowers, and stocks. The bottom line: you get high-end Magpul kit straight from the factory on your Bushmaster ACR.

A couple of things in closing - for those of you who are wondering, Magpul is still an independently owned and operated company. We will also continue to expand our product line. In the following days at SHOT we plan to release several new products. These are fast and exciting times for those in our industry.

I'll make an effort to answer questions. Some of questions I won't know and some I can't answer due to confidential info. Don't trash the thread with silly antics.

Teaser eye candy for you.

Bushmaster ACR Entry Carbine (12.5" barrel):
http://magpul.com/detroit1.jpg

Bushmaster ACR Standard Carbine (16" barrel):
http://magpul.com/detroit2.jpg

Bushmaster ACR SPR Rifle (18" barrel):
http://magpul.com/detroit3.jpg

Hawkeye
01-31-08, 06:08
Brilliant move Rich, Drake, and crew. Cant wait.

recon
02-11-08, 19:39
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoa-rJkHReM :cool:

Jeffy
02-12-08, 14:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoa-rJkHReM :cool:

That's a nice presentation. Lots of interesting features.

mactastic
02-12-08, 18:22
squared away. Interesting features.

I do however note that seemingly everyone on this site would not have pissed on a Bushmaster rifle to put it out if it was on fire.

And now no one has any problem with magpul pairing with what everyone would have called a sub par company that put out sub par rifles before this happened.

Funny how that works.

Hawkeye
02-12-08, 18:33
The main issues that I have seen, for the most part, with Bushmasters has been since 2004. All of my previous Bushmasters were fine though. I do admit that the past few years there have been some problems, but I never quite bought into the same level of animosity that some did.
As for Magpuls choice, Bushmaster is under new ownership now, and combine that with the fact that I trust Rich's (and the rest of the Magpu crew) judgement. If they did not feel that Bushmaster could, and would, get this weapon to market at the level of quality that Rich wants, they would not have went with them.

Stickman
02-29-08, 18:04
Mactastic,

Bushmaster AR15s and Bushmaster ACRs are two different beasts. There are a lot of comments out there which are being made by people who have zero knowledge base on the topic.

Bushmaster makes AR15s based on their specs. Bushmaster will be making the ACR based on Magpuls specs. Its something which seems to get overlooked by certain crowds.

Hawkeye
02-29-08, 19:19
Bushmaster makes AR15s based on their specs. Bushmaster will be making the ACR based on Magpuls specs. Its something which seems to get overlooked by certain crowds.

I have been repeating this so much it makes my head spin sometimes. For the life of me I dont understand why this is such a hard thing to understand. Its almost like there are people who just have a vendetta against Magpul, Bushmaster, or both.....

carbinero
02-29-08, 21:50
How could such a small group (the anti-BM naysayers) impact marketing efforts THAT much? BM has presidential-level name recognition unlike, for example, LMT. You rarely hear anything but good said about LMT, but I'm curious if their public sales numbers are of the same magnitude as BM. Get these ACRs into the hands of as many people as possible, as quickly as possible, without sacrificing specs/standards. If BM can do that, I'll jump in line.

DrDrake
02-29-08, 22:20
Get these ACRs in the hands into as many people as possible, as quickly as possible, without sacrificing specs/standards. If BM can do that, I'll jump in line.

Ahhhh, refreshing. Tip of the hat to you Sir.

recon
02-29-08, 22:26
All I can say is I have two Busheys and they are very good rifles! So when this puppy comes out I'am there! :D

Stickman
03-01-08, 12:48
I have been repeating this so much it makes my head spin sometimes. For the life of me I dont understand why this is such a hard thing to understand. Its almost like there are people who just have a vendetta against Magpul, Bushmaster, or both.....

My view is even more cynical than yours. :D

However, I need to keep reminding myself that the comments made by people who have never even touched a Masada/ ACR are worth less than the time it takes to read them. The worst are those people who play parrot with uniformed opinions and repeat them like they are the gospel truth. If people don't have first hand info, they should phrase their comments to reflect that.

Its one of the reasons you don't see me writing about firing or functionality of the Masada/ ACR. Its not a matter of trusting Drake or what I've heard from the guys, its that without having been there myself I have no reason to spout info or make comments. I've never even swapped out a barrel on a Masada/ ACR (though I've run plenty of dry drills with the earlier model).

I'll step off my soap box now....

mactastic
03-06-08, 13:52
Well I guess we'll see how it turns out. For all the promise it holds I hope the quality control lives up to what magpul is wanting.

Call it what you want. The ACR will be produced by a company that most here would say has a lack of attention to detail.

If you asked what AR15 to go buy no one would recommend a bushmaster................until now.

Perhaps Bushmaster can apply the higher standards of the ACR to the rest of their line of rifles.

Seth Harness
03-09-08, 17:42
This maybe a stupid question but Im curious. Will the rifles say magpul on them anywhere? Or just bushmaster. It dosnt matter I guess, Im still going to buy one. :D

SHIVAN
03-09-08, 18:52
If you asked what AR15 to go buy no one would recommend a bushmaster................until now.

I probably still wouldn't recommend a Bushmaster AR-15 to a serious shooter.

The ACR and the AR-15 are two different animals, with two different set of specifications at Bushmaster.

So long as Bushmaster keeps the ACR as close to the agreed upon product, then I won't have a problem with it. As far as I understand it, the people who brought this project to Bushmaster are pretty freakin' serious about making it right.

recon
03-09-08, 19:19
I probably still wouldn't recommend a Bushmaster AR-15 to a serious shooter.

Why not?

SHIVAN
03-09-08, 19:27
Most of the serious shooters I know and shoot with are using 75gr or 77gr ammo as primary defense, or work ammo. 1:9 ***may*** work, 1:7 will definitely work.

Bushmaster still uses 1:9 twist barrels in their AR-15's. Why would I knowingly recommend something that probably stands less than a 50% chance of stabilizing the longer, heavier rounds, that the intended shooter planned to shoot for defense or work??

In contrast, the ACR requires a 1:7 twist barrel. Therefore, it is going to get a 1:7 barrel.

Lastly, I subjectively don't like some things on Bushmaster AR's that have nothing to do with anything other than MY preference. Many, or most, have been covered ad nausem here and other places, and I don't intend to re-hash them in this thread.

recon
03-09-08, 22:43
75gr or 78gr! What kind of ammo is that? I just know about the 55gr and 62 gr.

RAM Engineer
03-10-08, 06:27
The two biggies that jump to mind are:

75 gr Hornady TAP
77 gr MK 262 Mod 0 or Mod 1

SHIVAN
03-10-08, 10:03
75gr TAP, 77gr Black Hills Match, 75gr Black Hills Match, and Mk262.

Chase G.
04-21-08, 19:30
Can u get the ACR for your specifacatoins, like handguard length and stuff? Or would you have to buy that seperately?

tombirdman
06-18-08, 08:44
The main issues that I have seen, for the most part, with Bushmasters has been since 2004. All of my previous Bushmasters were fine though. I do admit that the past few years there have been some problems, but I never quite bought into the same level of animosity that some did.
As for Magpuls choice, Bushmaster is under new ownership now, and combine that with the fact that I trust Rich's (and the rest of the Magpu crew) judgement. If they did not feel that Bushmaster could, and would, get this weapon to market at the level of quality that Rich wants, they would not have went with them.

:confused: :D There is absolutely nothing wrong with Bushmaster. I would rather have it than a Colt! Why are they being hit so bad with bad publicity?
Who is putting it out?
Why? At one time they were considered the best! Why has that changed or has it?
:confused:
Magpul, it goes without saying, is quality !

rob_s
06-18-08, 08:57
:confused: :D There is absolutely nothing wrong with Bushmaster. I would rather have it than a Colt! Why are they being hit so bad with bad publicity?
Who is putting it out?
Why? At one time they were considered the best! Why has that changed or has it?
:confused:
Magpul, it goes without saying, is quality !

If I may, humbly (or not so), suggest you look here.
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

Bushmaster today is not the same Bushmaster it was, and the playing field has gotten substantially stronger and the competition substantially steeper. It's not a good idea to be heading down while your competition is heading up.

ramrod
06-23-08, 01:55
my mil-spec is better than your mil-spec lol! If they wait to long obama will have this stuff banned asap.

Seth Harness
06-29-08, 20:10
my mil-spec is better than your mil-spec lol! If they wait to long obama will have this stuff banned asap.

Speaking of that... Is it still on course for early 09' ??

Just curious,
Thanks.

theJanitor
09-09-08, 14:57
i just watched the video that drake responded with in the MAGPUL LOWER thread. i didn't notice the ambi bolt release at the front of the trigger guard before. :thumbs up:

ramrod
09-29-09, 01:11
09 is almost over!

baffle Stack
09-29-09, 19:50
Anything new on this?