PDA

View Full Version : Used BCM for first AR

klake575
08-28-12, 16:08
Gentlemen i have been seaching on the site for a while now and am ready to purchase my first AR. i would prefer to business locally and I have found a used BCM M4 what i believe is a mod 2 for 1000. This seem like a pretty good starting point. My question is what to look for in a used rifle, or would i be better served to try and find something new in that price range. Any advice would be appreciated.

dante2
08-28-12, 16:50
I would start here. You can't go wrong with a BCM rifle.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=79448

saddlerocker
08-28-12, 17:05
I wouldn't pay $1000 for a used one.
A new colt is only $1000
And new bcm about $1150

MidwestRookie
08-28-12, 17:11
I wouldn't pay $1000 for a used one.
A new colt is only $1000
And new bcm about $1150

Not sure what else to say but..

+1 to this.

Split66
08-28-12, 17:19
save the extra $100 or $200 and buy new.

fallenromeo
08-28-12, 17:25
save the extra $100 or $200 and buy new.

Or buy a new colt.

jonbondave
08-28-12, 18:01
I've seen barely used basic BCM carbine and mid length setups locally for 800-900. A thousand might not be bad deal if the Handguard is updated or it comes with other goodies.

denn1911
08-28-12, 18:11
Depending on condition, you can find a pre-owned BCM for less. You can use the money saved for ammo. For an extra couple hundred over what you're referring to, you can purchase a new BCM or similar new, quality rifle.

Kokopelli
08-28-12, 18:17
I agree with the others.. It's a little steep short of mitigating circumstances. I have ~$1050 in my BCM lightweight upper and lower.. Actually less than my Colts.. I would buy a new Colt.. JMO.. Ron

Airhasz
08-28-12, 18:19
Based on a lot of threads with questions like op's question, its surprising how many people fail to research the cost of a new weapon when buying used!

7.62WildBill
08-28-12, 18:40
My local Wal-Mart has a Colt LE6920 for $1079. So might yours...

clmarshall21
08-28-12, 18:48
A thousand might not be bad deal if the Handguard is updated or it comes with other goodies.

This is a good point. Any more details on the rifle would help. If it had any upgrades that appeal to you that a new rifle wouldn't have (i.e. a Geissele trigger or the particular hand guard that you are looking to use) it may be worth looking into.

Roklok
08-28-12, 19:04
No way I would pay that for a used BCM when you can buy a new one or a Colt for the same money. I just got a blemished lower from G&R Tactical and a mid length upper from Bravo Company for less than that. Also, local shop has new Colt 6720s for $1090.

Stickman
08-28-12, 20:07
Can you give a description or post a picture? Sounds more like the price for a new model than one which is used. I would be checking any used weapon to make sure the barrel and BCG are all correct, too often those items are not up to speed and a guy buys just based off the name on the receiver.

3 AE
08-28-12, 20:11
I would start here. You can't go wrong with a BCM rifle.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=79448

Do you know the seller and the history of the rifle, especially the round count? If the seller is willing to allow you to do a field strip and inspection as per the above quoted post and allow you to test fire the weapon and if all is well, it's not a bad deal. If the carbine really is a Mod 2, it came with a Troy rear folding sight and a Troy drop in non freefloating quad rail. Those two upgrades run about $250-$275 total. BCM listed the Mod 2 at $1289 on their last price sheet a year or so ago. The going rate now is @ $1300-$1350 on the Internet.

If the seller is selling as is, no inspection, no test, questionable history, etc., then walk away and follow the other suggestions posted in the thread. Good luck!

klake575
08-28-12, 21:35
I think I may have gotten a little excited. It isn't a private sale it is from a LGS. i asked if they had any history and they said no. i guess given the quality of these guns i was suprised to see one for sale used. They actually had two others. One was an anodized tan lower. I guess I will plug on and keep looking, as I would like to buy local and not off the net. I will pay more, but i like to keep the money locally.

duece71
08-28-12, 21:45
I think I may have gotten a little excited. It isn't a private sale it is from a LGS. i asked if they had any history and they said no. i guess given the quality of these guns i was suprised to see one for sale used. They actually had two others. One was an anodized tan lower. I guess I will plug on and keep looking, as I would like to buy local and not off the net. I will pay more, but i like to keep the money locally.

See if your LGS will order you one from BCM. The backlog is pretty long though so you might be waiting a bit. Good luck.

skyugo
08-29-12, 02:15
eh a grand isn't too bad a price, assuming it's in very good condition. I'll pay a little more for a gun i can walk out of the shop with TODAY as opposed to fiddling around with internet sales and transfers (shipping+transfer fee adds up quick)

bondmid003
08-29-12, 02:49
klake, remember your LGS is always going to put a slight premium on gun prices due to overhead, etc. What you're paying for in convenience you might save by searching equipment exchanges here and TOS. Or buy new from BCM and just have to wait for your rifle. Just my two cents and why I rarely buy from gun stores.

08-29-12, 10:51
A grand is a little much for a used rifle even a BCM (granted I've got more wrapped up in my 14.5 middy but that's with many "improvements"). I've seen new Colt 6920s in the $950 to $1000 range all over the net.

markm
08-29-12, 11:00
We don't even know what's on the weapon. How can we say that price is too high?

Might have a SPIKES buffer in it.... which would DOUBLE the value! :D

Roklok
08-29-12, 20:08
eh a grand isn't too bad a price, assuming it's in very good condition. I'll pay a little more for a gun i can walk out of the shop with TODAY as opposed to fiddling around with internet sales and transfers (shipping+transfer fee adds up quick)

Transfer fees and shipping are usually cancelled out by not having to pay sales tax.

Stickman
08-30-12, 15:44

I might have missed it, but did you ever reply and let people know what was on the weapon? BUIS, rail, sling, etc.?

klake575
08-30-12, 20:07
I didn't reply, but it did have buis and had a full front rail. I'm going to try and stop back tomorrow and look closer. I'll try and snap some picks if they will let me. I've been thinking about it and I have a pardner pump I won that I may try and trade offer them 850 out the door.

klake575
08-31-12, 13:50
I had a chance to go look at it a little closer today. It is a BCM M4 lower with magpul stock and a two point sling mounting. The upper was also a BCM Standard 14.5" M4 Carbine Upper Receiver Group w/ Permanent A2X Flash Hider (16.1") w/ MI T-10 Handguard. So does this change anyone’s opinion of the situation? I appreciate the feedback earlier it was a reality check and slowed me down. Any additional feedback would be appreciated.

clmarshall21
08-31-12, 14:47
I had a chance to go look at it a little closer today. It is a BCM M4 lower with magpul stock and a two point sling mounting. The upper was also a BCM Standard 14.5" M4 Carbine Upper Receiver Group w/ Permanent A2X Flash Hider (16.1") w/ MI T-10 Handguard. So does this change anyone’s opinion of the situation? I appreciate the feedback earlier it was a reality check and slowed me down. Any additional feedback would be appreciated.

I don't see that as an unreasonable price. If it is that important to you to spend locally and the configuration of this rifle is what you are looking for, buy it. It does seem to have some upgrades that buying new, off the shelf may not come with. With that said, I would be damn certain before cutting the check that everything about this rifle is kosher...

-Is the barrel actually a BCM or quality barrel?
-Is the BCG actually a BCM or quality BCG? (These are easy to spot! They say BCM in big white letters on the carrier and HP/MPI on the bolt)
-Are there obvious signs of hard use?
-Is the castle nut properly staked? (the average home "gunsmith" will not re-stake a castle nut after installing his fancy new magpul stock)

Okay you get my point.

If you are serious about this rifle I would suggest posting some pictures of it (i.e. the complete rifle, the BCG and its markings, the barrel markings, the bolt face, and any signs of wear you find in the upper reciever). If you are confident that you know what to look for, that is even better. Never hurts to have these guys look it over for you though.

FMJ5.56
09-02-12, 21:24
I purchased a BCM M4 MOD2 brand new with troy hand rail an rear sight for 1300 if I was u id save up a few extra hundred an get a brand new BCM they r silid rifles an in my opinion is one of the best out there right now toom mine to the range an right outta the box was shooting about 125 yrds an was pretty much dead on jus had to do a minor front sight adjustment

vicious_cb
09-02-12, 22:08
MI rails suck. I wouldnt buy any upper if it had MI rails installed.