PDA

View Full Version : Are all members of a NFA Trust equally vetted?

M4Fundi
08-28-12, 23:10
When creating an NFA Trust are all members equally researched by the ATF?

If you add a person to the trust do you have to get them "approved" by ATF before they are legally allowed to be in the trust?

So, if you had 7 members to a trust would it take longer for approval than a trust with only 2 members?

az doug
08-28-12, 23:24
To date you do not have to submit prints, photos etc. on persons in the trust. No background checks are performed except on the person that picks the firearm or suppressor up from a dealer. A dealer must perform a NICS check on that person. No NICS check if purchased from an individual.

M4Fundi
08-29-12, 00:04
The logic behind all this makes me think I'm living in France sometimes:rolleyes:

davidjinks
08-29-12, 22:34
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

However, the only time me or my wife get "Vetted" is when we actually purchase a firearm.

As was stated, there are no background checks, photos or prints. I set my trust up with me and my wife being trustees and my son being a beneficiary. No "vetting" required.

The logic behind all this makes me think I'm living in France sometimes:rolleyes:

az doug
08-29-12, 23:09

Do yourself a favor, do not try to make sense out of the rules, just try to learn them. Many of them defy logic.

M4Fundi
08-29-12, 23:13
I was under the impression that the wait for a stamp was some form of extensive background check for each person named in the trust. The stamps for my trust have all taken 5 months 3 weeks each time for one set of 3 and one set of 4 stamps. I figured those 5 months were spent checking on each trust member's criminal, medical, financial background and then some.

oef24
08-29-12, 23:31
The wait time does not have anything to do with any super special background check. It just is what it is. I can't imagine someone trying to do a background check with just a first and last name. If that name is somewhat common, it would take forever. The fact is that a NICS check would suffice.

O

tepin
08-30-12, 08:34
+1
It is somewhat interesting that I can own an AR pistol, but to slide a stock over the tube requires 7 months of waiting and red tape. :blink:
Some of our laws are incredibly stupid.

Do yourself a favor, do not try to make sense out of the rules, just try to learn them. Many of them defy logic.

RIDE
08-30-12, 17:15
+1
Some of our laws are incredibly stupid.

This is common knowledge.

Got to get active if you want this changed.

MarkG
08-30-12, 17:23
Does the ATF now require a complete copy of the trust document when you submit your Form1/4? A copy of your trust existence and authority was all that was needed in years past.

az doug
08-30-12, 18:57
I have been told they want a complete copy. I only have two items in my newly formed trust and I sent the complete trust in for each transfer. No problems so far.

RIDE
08-30-12, 19:56
Does the ATF now require a complete copy of the trust document when you submit your Form1/4? A copy of your trust existence and authority was all that was needed in years past.

Complete trust.

MarkG
08-30-12, 21:23
Complete trust.

I wouldn't bet against the ATF running all of the names...

ImmortalArms
08-30-12, 21:57
To date you do not have to submit prints, photos etc. on persons in the trust. No background checks are performed except on the person that picks the firearm or suppressor up from a dealer. A dealer must perform a NICS check on that person. No NICS check if purchased from an individual.

No NICS checked is performed on the trustee picking up the NFA item. Block 22 of the 4473: No NICS check was required because the transfer involved only National Firearms Act firearm(s).

The section in the NFA handbook that says there is a background check is erroneous (confirmed with the ATF).

A background check is performed on the individual that signed the Form 4 as the trustee.

The entire trust must be submitted along with any amendments/appendices that are referenced in the trust itself.