PDA

View Full Version : Charging handle methods

Failure2Stop
01-31-08, 07:27
By a request in another section I am putting up a quick overview of the methods of use of the charging handle.

If anyone else wants to chime in, I think it will benefit the original question poser.

Standard Method- Original method. Generally used by releasing the firing hand from the weapon and placing the index and middle fingers on both "wings" of the CH, and pulling rearward. This method is fine for most users, but serious users of the platform will generally not want to relase the firing hand from the grip.

Pinch Method- Right handed shooter using the left hand to operate the CH. Place index finger on left wing (the one with the latch), thumb on the back of the wing. Pull directly rearward with the hand/index finger. This is my preferred method, and it works just fine with the standard latch.

Knife Hand- Place the "away" edge of the left hand (the little finger edge, not the thumb edge) on the latch. The latch should be contacting the knife edge at the base of the little finger or just below the joint. The palm will be facing toward you, or slightly away from the weapon. The left hand pushes the charging handle to the rear. Aim for the shoulder, not the sternum, when moving the left hand to the rear. This method, however, induces lateral pressure to the charging handle. Users of this method have very shiny right sides of their CH. Charging handles (especially cheaper ones) break eventually with this method. Initially some have issues with fully retracting the bolt during the stroke. This method most benefits from an extended Tac-Latch, and the Badger Ordinance ones reduce some of the lateral pressure if practiced.

Left handed- Hook the right arm under the weapon, place the hook of the index finger on the latch. Push fully rearward, keeping the index finger firmly fixed as a hook.

Left Handed- Alternate- Over top- Roll the ejection port down, bring right hand over the receiver and grasp the latch wing with a pinch grip as explained above or use the thumb edge of the hand as a knife edge.

With all methods the charging handle must be allowed to travel on it's own power after being fully retracted.

All work, but it comes down to personal preference and employment method.

Erick Gelhaus
01-31-08, 11:33
Left handed- Hook the right arm under the weapon, place the hook of the index finger on the latch. Push fully rearward, keeping the index finger firmly fixed as a hook.

Left Handed- Alternate- Over top- Roll the ejection port down, bring right hand over the receiver and grasp the latch wing with a pinch grip as explained above or use the thumb edge of the hand as a knife edge.

All work, but it comes down to personal preference and employment method.

Two things, as one of the resident lefty's ...
I'd call the first method the Left Hand Admin because it does take the shooting hand off thew weapon and as such is more administrative;

And I'd go with Left Hand Primary for the second technique - but that is just me.

The last line ... dead on.

Failure2Stop
01-31-08, 11:47
Erick-
I think my explaination was poor for Left Handed method 1 (I am used to providing demonstration along with the directions), the left hand shouldn't leave the firing grip.

The left handed shooter will be grasping the pistol grip with the left hand. The right hand is brought under the weapon and the right hand hooks the CH with the index finger- the weapon will be sort-of cradled in the right elbow. It is almost a mirror image of a righty racking an AK with the left hand.

This method is good for anything but the prone position, as it is difficult to get your arm under the gun when flat on your belly.

I listed the second one as alternate simply because I was too short-sighted to number them. I prefer the second method as well, because it assists in clearing a stoppage if the CH manipulation is for corrective action, and can be used from the prone.

Hope this clears up my poor description.

Gentle Ben
01-31-08, 12:11
I maintain my right firing hand on the grip; rotate the weapon slightly to the left so that the ejection port is pointing skyward; grasp the c/h with my left hand (index finger hooking the right ear, middle finger hooking the left latch); pull back & release; pull back handle again (maybe an inch) to ensure that a round is chambered; release handle; sing kum-ba-ya.

however, most of my ARs are SBRs. if I'm using a long/muzzle-heavy AR, or am in the prone position, I release my firing grip and pull back the c/h with my right hand.

Erick Gelhaus
01-31-08, 13:57
Ben-
Saw a "couple" of troops (leadership & not) induce various stoppages by pulling back on the charging handle to check for a chambered round. These were all in situations where we were in the guntruck, leaving a FOB and loading while seated in the trucks.

As a result, I strongly recommend against doing that. But that's just me.

Failure - understood, I mis-read.

Gentle Ben
01-31-08, 14:15
No argument, Erick...I understand how that could happen. I usually have to hit the forward assist or push the bolt with my thumb vai the ejection port to ensure that the bolt is fully closed after doing the "press check."

It's a catch-22. I like to know with 100% certainty that there's a round in the chamber.

BigRed
01-31-08, 14:24
No argument, Erick. I usually hit the forward assist or push the bolt with my thumb vai the ejection port to ensure that the bolt is closed after doing the "press check."

It's a catch-22. I like to know with 100% certainty that there's a round in the chamber.

Just look at the top round in your mag and see which side it's on before and after you ready the weapon.

lowspeed4u
10-06-09, 14:17
Really late to this topic...Sorry for that.

If using the cradle method It's faster to use your thumb unlocking the chargin handle with your index finger around the back of the charging handle allowing for positive control, It is almost like the AK rack however the AR charging handle latch is alot smaller and allows for your finger to slip off. This is only for the normal charging handle if you have the extended it will work as you have said. (dependant on what type of optics and mounts you are working with.

Very good description for both methods, the other way is to just drop your shooting hand off the pistol grip and just rack the weapon. I know this insn't optimnal but does work and works fast you use your right hand on the handguards to keep the weapon in your shoulder and allows for more control of the weapon. Depending on what optic or how it is attached the above method is the only absoulte way to do the racking.

YammyMonkey
10-07-09, 00:24
I'm a lefty shooter as well & primarily use the reach under & pinch between thumb & index finger method. Thumb on the front & the first bone of the index finger on the back side of the CH. It may be a little slower & less necessary with an extended latch, but it feels much more positive & allows me to drive the CH straight to the rear with much less sideways pressure.

The extra control also helps when locking the bolt to the rear & since the index finger is alreay on the back of the CH it's very fast to run it forward & lock it in place.

trinydex
10-20-09, 21:04
if you're left handed and you're doing a type 3 malfunction drill... is it acceptable to take firing hand off fire control and use the "admin" method of charging?

i ask because i can't think of another way to hold the bolt open without using both hands if you're a lefty.

as a righty there is the option of using the BAD and keeping firing hand on fire control even if performing a type 3 drill.

Failure2Stop
10-20-09, 21:36
if you're left handed and you're doing a type 3 malfunction drill... is it acceptable to take firing hand off fire control and use the "admin" method of charging?

i ask because i can't think of another way to hold the bolt open without using both hands if you're a lefty.

as a righty there is the option of using the BAD and keeping firing hand on fire control even if performing a type 3 drill.

Do whatever you gotta do to get the gun up and running.
Style points are only awarded if you get the gun back up and return timely effective fire.

That being said-
I find it easier to lock the bolt to the rear with the left hand on the FCG and racking the CH with the right.

Just extend the left trigger finger.
Place it on the bolt-hold open tit and apply pressure inward.
Roll the gun over and rack the CH to the rear.
Viola- bolt held to the rear.

YammyMonkey
10-21-09, 00:18
Just extend the left trigger finger.
Place it on the bolt-hold open tit and apply pressure inward.
Roll the gun over and rack the CH to the rear.
Viola- bolt held to the rear.

That's how I do it & why I can't use a single point sling. When you roll the rifle over the sling interferes with the CH.

BLACK LION
10-21-09, 13:42
I try my hardest to ensure there is always a hand on "fire control" regardless of what the task is and which side I am shooting on. Unless I only have one arm to use.
Cradling the stock under the arm or pressing the the butt into the pec and the cheek firmly against the stock are the onlt two way I manipulate the charging handle. This way my muzzle is always pointed down range and my hand is always ready on fire control.
I try to use the bolt release to charge a fresh round after inserting a mag as much as possible. It is easier to manipulate with my right hand on fire control of course. When my left hand is on fire control, If I am not running an ambi bolt release( will be soon) I will either sling shot the charging handle with my right index finger or reach around the front of the magwell and press the bolt release with my index finger. I may have to roll the gun over a bit to reach it but I keep my muzzle forward always.

I currently run a single point 511/Vtac sling. I fashoined an ambi sling attachment on my ace arfx stock from the extra attachments that come with the sling. I have yet to come into any interference with manipulating my rig on either side.

YammyMonkey
10-21-09, 23:43
You wouldn't happen to have a picture of your setup would you? I'd prefer to run a 2-point with the rear on/near the receiver plate & front as far back on the rail as possible, but everything I've tried, including a straight single point gets in the way (wraps over the top of the buffer tube) when I roll the gun ejection port down while shooting left handed.

BLACK LION
10-22-09, 12:33
I cant upload my pictures at this time, maybe in the future.

I have 4 sling attachment point on my ACE ARFX stock and I dont use any of them with my single point sling sing since they all aroused some sort of issue.
I fashioned an ambi attachment point by wrapping one of the extra attachments through the middle of the stock and around the bottom bar, then secured it with an elastic keeper.
It rolls when I roll the gun and doesnt interfere with transitions, reloads or anything else for that matter. It hasnt been "tested" long and hard enough to deem it a be all end all solution for me but its working without issue so far and I am working it as much as I can in any way I can think of.

I am still not a 100% sold on this single point sling since the "bungee" feature allows it to hang and dangle a bit much for my taste. I would still like to work a VTAC 2 point sling for a bit before finalizing my decision.