PDA

View Full Version : 70 Grain Speer

jimmyp
08-29-12, 06:05
anyone kill anything (deer, hog) over 100 pounds with the speer 70 grain softpoint? Thoughts?

Looking for a cheaper alternative to the TSX, the 65 grain gamekings shoot well from my Colt but wonder if the speer might be a tougher bullet than a gameking.

Ned Christiansen
08-29-12, 10:03
Haven't killed anything with it but you may be interested to know that I've never had trouble getting under 1.5MOA with this bullet despite its pedestrian looks.

rocsteady
08-30-12, 21:22
All right. Buy a box of TSXs and be accurate...you have a whole season's worth of ammo for less than $70.

Kidding of course.

jimmyp
09-17-12, 04:51
yes I have had good luck with the TSX. I think I will give up on this quest, I can get 65 grain Sierra's to shoot into sub MOA from a cheap Colt 6720 over a case full of Varget, same with the TSX over 25 grains of TAC, I think I am going to switch to Varget for the TSX because with a full case of powder you don't have to worry about bullet set back or crimping. The TSX is a killer, the exit hole is not as big as I would like it to be, so the solution is just shoot for the shoulders as I have in the past and stop trying to find another solution.

ICANHITHIMMAN
09-17-12, 06:28
Are you hand loading them? or buying factory ammo?

ICANHITHIMMAN
09-17-12, 06:33
Are you hand loading them? or buying factory ammo?

jimmyp
10-09-12, 05:20
I hand load. I also just discovered the 75 grain scirocco and I am trying to get that bullet to shoot. Its a bonded bullet which makes it tougher than the speer. I have had no luck with it over Benchmark or TAC.