PDA

View Full Version : My First Build - Will everything work?

MrRightWing
08-29-12, 15:04
Hey guys, this is my first AR build and I wanted to post the parts I'm planning on buying to make sure they're going to work well together. I've done my research, but I'm a noob, so I want to make sure I don't screw this whole thing up. The completed rifle will be a 16" mid-length AR. Please let me know if you have had trouble fitting any of these parts, if my prices are off, if I'm missing any parts, or if I won't be able to shoot both .223 and 5.56mm (not sure if this could be a problem or not). Thanks!

Edit:
Removed: YHM Free Float
Added: Troy 13 BattleRail TRX Std

Parts List:
Upper:
BCM Upper w/FA - $99.95
DD Stripped 16" 1:7 barrel - $169.95
Troy 13 BattleRail TRX Std - $152.50
BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 (Medium Latch) - $44.95
Yankee Hill Flash Hider Phantom - $26.99
Mid-length gas tube - $13.00
YHM Low-profile Gas Block - $22.00

Lower:
Stripped lower from local FFL (Spike's or PSA) - $95.00
PSA LPK w/ Magpul STR Stock & Buffer Tube - $149.95
BCM MPI Full Auto BCG - $159.00

(Haven't settled on sights yet)

Guns-up.50
08-29-12, 15:11
yes.... why do you put the prices down?

KingCobra
08-29-12, 15:12
the flash hider comes with a crush washer, so why are you buying another?

MrRightWing
08-29-12, 15:14
the flash hider comes with a crush washer, so why are you buying another?

Good catch, I didn't notice it came with one. Thanks!

ASH556
08-29-12, 15:17
Pick something besides the YHM rail. Heavy and out of spec.

Also your price on the DD barrel looks pretty low. How did you come by it?

There are some pretty good deals on used low-round-count uppers here and on TOS. I'd look there.

MrRightWing
08-29-12, 15:20
Pick something besides the YHM rail. Heavy and out of spec.

There are some pretty good deals on used low-round-count uppers here and on TOS. I'd look there.

I don't really want to spend too much on a rail right away. Do you know of any decent ones in that price range?

The barrel is on the BCM site but it's out of stock. Hoping they get some more soon ;)

Guns-up.50
08-29-12, 15:21

I thought so haven't been on the barrel market in a bit, what do they run no days 230-$250?

MrRightWing
08-29-12, 15:23
I thought so haven't been on the barrel market in a bit, what do they run no days 230-$250?

Yeah, about that if you want one right away

Guns-up.50
08-29-12, 15:24
I don't really want to spend too much on a rail right away. Do you know of any decent ones in that price range?
)

My suggestion from experience buy the one you want first because you wont get shit for resale so its a waste of money.
I have been through three now trx7, to trx 13, now to a dd omega this is where I will stay, with a pin and weld this all is a pain in the ass.

Look for a used troy should be able to get a trx 13 for about 120-150 depending on condition

fallenromeo
08-29-12, 15:37

The barrel is on the BCM site but it's out of stock. Hoping they get some more soon ;)

The only DD barrel on BCM's website for that price is a Carbine gas, not mid length. Also, it says that it is a close out sale and quantities are limited. If sold out and a close out sale, they are not coming back for that price man. You need to pick a different barrel.

Maryland_Shooter
08-29-12, 16:08

I have several YHM, all in spec. Ask me about the MI rail that wasn't. :fie:

Spectro
08-29-12, 17:10
Have you budgeted for assembly tools? If you can borrow or rent then that's great, but a good torque wrench, receiver blocks, armorer’s Wrench , etc. can set you back few hundred.

I bring it up because you seem to have a max budget in mind.

Maryland_Shooter
08-29-12, 17:24
Have you budgeted for assembly tools? If you can borrow or rent then that's great, but a good torque wrench, receiver blocks, armorer’s Wrench , etc. can set you back few hundred.

Check eBay for the receiver block, DPMS make THE best armorer's wrench, about $35, Cheap torque wrench will do from Horrible Fright, 'er Harbor Freight. Brass pin set for building the lower, brass /nylon hammer usually comes with a pin set, maybe $20.

Expensive Receiver block = $55
Wrench = $35
Torque Wrench = $20 (the torque value is what 30-80, so you don't need a precision tool here)
Brass pin set w/hammer = $25

So we are at $125 +/-

I will tell you two things that are handy:

Blue Lock-Tite - apply to anti rotation screws, ONCE YOU ARE COMPLETE

Detachable Carry Handle = to use in bridging from the FF railed HG to the upper receiver rail. keeps everything lined up, then you "slug" the jamb nut tight with a hammer and chisel or screwdriver.

Split66
08-29-12, 17:49
The question at hand is not will this stuff work together, will it work together for you?

Before assembling and obsessing over a shopping list, how much experience do you have with the platform? You are a self proclaimed noob, how did you come to this parts list? The recommendation of others? That is a shitty way to go, building an AR for someone else.

Have you thought of buying a quality factory (vanilla) AR and learning the most important thing, how to shoot it and maintain it effectively? If this is indeed your first AR building may not be the best choice. Get a gun, get ammo, practice/train, most importantly shoot the piss out of the thing. Nothing like rounds down range to quickly lead you to what you like and what doesnt work. Worry about building one when you know whats up. One just for you!

Hmac
08-29-12, 17:55
Good catch, I didn't notice it came with one. Thanks!

Nothing wrong with an extra $2 crush washer or three. Likewise, some extra springs are worthwhile having on hand when you start assembling. Launching a buffer tube spring every now and then is not an uncommon event.

MrRightWing
08-29-12, 18:19

Yes, I've budgeted for tools. I decided to leave that out of my post.

bobsolla
08-29-12, 18:55
does the Magpul STR Stock & Buffer Tube come with the buffer spring?does the end plate come with the lower parts kit?of course you`ll need magazines!:moil:

MrRightWing
08-29-12, 19:16
does the Magpul STR Stock & Buffer Tube come with the buffer spring?does the end plate come with the lower parts kit?of course you`ll need magazines!:moil:

Yes, it comes with buffer spring and end plate. And yeah, I know I'll need mags. How much will 30 pmags run me? :D;):rolleyes:

LtNovakUSA
08-29-12, 19:48
Seems like a list of quality parts. What is the primary purpose of this rifle going to be? As for sights, I've had good luck with the Troy and KAC micros. If your new to the rifle world, budget in some good training too.

P2000
08-29-12, 20:06
Don't get left without a gas tube roll pin.

Maryland_Shooter
08-29-12, 20:08
Yes, it comes with buffer spring and end plate. And yeah, I know I'll need mags. How much will 30 pmags run me? :D;):rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with building a rifle first time out. It's a great way to learn the platform and how everything works together.

30 round mags are about $14 IIRC, but shop hard and you can find them cheaper.

8Wallace8
08-29-12, 20:39
The question at hand is not will this stuff work together, will it work together for you?

Before assembling and obsessing over a shopping list, how much experience do you have with the platform? You are a self proclaimed noob, how did you come to this parts list? The recommendation of others? That is a shitty way to go, building an AR for someone else.

Have you thought of buying a quality factory (vanilla) AR and learning the most important thing, how to shoot it and maintain it effectively? If this is indeed your first AR building may not be the best choice. Get a gun, get ammo, practice/train, most importantly shoot the piss out of the thing. Nothing like rounds down range to quickly lead you to what you like and what doesnt work. Worry about building one when you know whats up. One just for you!

I disagree, the guy just wanted to know if the parts would be compatible. He didnt ask for your opinions on how he should go about getting his first AR. I built my first AR and have shot 1000+ rounds without any failures. It is exactly what i wanted and thats all i can ask for. I had 3 friends buy complete rifles and everyone has had a problem.

And whats wrong with taking someones recommendation on what parts to get. How else is he going to have an idea of whats quality?

MrRightWing
08-29-12, 21:08
I disagree, the guy just wanted to know if the parts would be compatible. He didnt ask for your opinions on how he should go about getting his first AR. I built my first AR and have shot 1000+ rounds without any failures. It is exactly what i wanted and thats all i can ask for. I had 3 friends buy complete rifles and everyone has had a problem.

And whats wrong with taking someones recommendation on what parts to get. How else is he going to have an idea of whats quality?

Thanks haha. Like I said at the beginning of my post, I may be a noob, but I've definitely done my research. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have any dumb mistakes in the build. My plan to build this weapon from scratch seems to be an excellent way to become very familiar with the system. I have experience with ARs and know what I like.

halo2304
08-29-12, 22:08
Thanks haha. Like I said at the beginning of my post, I may be a noob, but I've definitely done my research. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have any dumb mistakes in the build. My plan to build this weapon from scratch seems to be an excellent way to become very familiar with the system. I have experience with ARs and know what I like.

Pardon me, but these two phrases seem to be contradictory. How can you be experienced with ARs and be a noob?

If you're absolutely intent on building an AR, start witht the lower. Of the two main halves, it's the more forgiving. If you're still feeling brave and confident in your abilities, move on to the upper. One more piece of advice, I'd buy a barrel with the FSB already attached and do a chop 'n grind job on it. Sure cutting the forged steel sight base sucks, but you don't have to worry about aligning the gas block and gas port.
Good luck and have a gun smith's number nearby just in case. (Think Murphey's Law)

MrRightWing
08-29-12, 22:37
Pardon me, but these two phrases seem to be contradictory. How can you be experienced with ARs and be a noob?

If you're absolutely intent on building an AR, start witht the lower. Of the two main halves, it's the more forgiving. If you're still feeling brave and confident in your abilities, move on to the upper. One more piece of advice, I'd buy a barrel with the FSB already attached and do a chop 'n grind job on it. Sure cutting the forged steel sight base sucks, but you don't have to worry about aligning the gas block and gas port.
Good luck and have a gun smith's number nearby just in case. (Think Murphey's Law)

I'm new to building them. I've never fully assembled an AR.

Magic_Salad0892
08-30-12, 06:58
What's the point of the YHM flash hider?

Why not just get a DD barrel with FSB, and shave it down?

Are you gonna get ambi controls?

Have you considered VLTOR A5?

What kinda sling, and mounting points are you thinking of?

What kinda light, and mount are you thinking of?

Split66
08-30-12, 12:25

Oh sorry I didnt realize he was an experienced noob. My bad.

Good luck with your legos!

8Wallace8
08-30-12, 20:35
The only advice i know to give is:

1. Watch a youtube video of one being assembled before you start.

2. Take note of parts you will need and try to buy all at once. This will save a little on shipping.

3. Make sure the butt stock and buffer tube will match. I think mil spec is a little better.

4. Go ahead and buy lots of ammo

Maryland_Shooter
08-31-12, 09:05
The only advice i know to give is:

1. Watch a youtube video of one being assembled before you start.

2. Take note of parts you will need and try to buy all at once. This will save a little on shipping.

3. Make sure the butt stock and buffer tube will match. I think mil spec is a little better.

4. Go ahead and buy lots of ammo

All most excellent advice.

DIY Forums on some AR15 sites are also very helpful.