PDA

View Full Version : Failure to fire

platoonDaddy
08-29-12, 15:25
My G17 and P85 MK II both have a failure to fire (meaning: the striker strikes the primer, but that is it.), but my friends Kimber CDP II Ultra just eats them up.

This was a 'barter' (don't ask, don't tell) transfer and I have no idea on the specifics of the ammo, other than the following:

1. Headstamp is Russian (bitch to read)
2. 6.6gr of powder
3. 115.5gr bullet
4. .367crimp

Note the primers:
Upper Left: from the G17 and doesn't have the fame glock rectangle.
Upper Right: from the P85

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad176/slickville/001-12.jpg

Any words of wisdom?

markm
08-29-12, 15:28
Hard primers. 1911s will bang out a hard primer, but Glocks won't.

I've loaded rifle primers in 9mm and will get 1% failures to fire.

Business_Casual
08-29-12, 15:30
Had the same problem with Fiocchi 9mm in a G19 once too. Hard primers.

Guns-up.50
08-29-12, 15:31
Would they run in your boys Kimber afterwards ?

platoonDaddy
08-29-12, 16:53
Would they run in your boys Kimber afterwards ?

Afterwards? Don't understand your question.

markm & business_casual what really is a hard-primer? Didn't know there was a hard-primer and a soft-prime.

I believe the primer is seated too deeply. The brass on the left doesn't have the Glock rectangle, therefore my belief it is seated too deeply for the Glock. As for the P85, always believed it would eat anything, it has finally met its match. The Kimber CDP launches the bullet down range without any issues.

okie john
08-29-12, 17:01
markm & business_casual what really is a hard-primer? Didn't know there was a hard-primer and a soft-prime.

It's not a hard-and-fast distinction like smokeless vs. black powder. It has to do with the hardness of the primer cup. Some primer cups are softer, others are harder. Military primer cups tend to be harder than commercial primer cups, and some guns won't fire them. Conversely, some firing pins in some guns may pierce some soft primer cups, with unpleasant results.

Hard primer cups are a good idea in military ammo because they withstand high pressure a bit better. Soft primers are a good idea for commercial ammo because they're reliable in match-tuned weapons and other weapons with very light firing pin falls. Federal primers are known for being soft.

Okie John

gunnut284
08-29-12, 22:57
The Glock rectangle will only show up when fired. Its due to the setback and forming to the firing pin hole.

AKFAN
08-29-12, 23:19
The ammunition is Egyptian and not Russian.
Egyptian ammo tends to be crap

platoonDaddy
08-30-12, 01:24
The ammunition is Egyptian and not Russian.
Egyptian ammo tends to be crap

Thanks for the info on the headstamp. Wonder if there is a site that has every headstamp of the world?

AKFAN
08-30-12, 01:34
No prob on the info. The "worm writing" looked very familiar from Egyptian AK ammo that Ive seen. The site below has some info on the ammo, they claim its corrosive so you might want to clean accordingly just in case.

(FWIW their 7.62x39 ammo for the ak tends to be crap too)

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?40465-ID-this-9mm-ammo-%28pic%29

skyugo
08-30-12, 01:38
Hard primers. 1911s will bang out a hard primer, but Glocks won't.

I've loaded rifle primers in 9mm and will get 1% failures to fire.

huh my 19 fires the shit out of rifle primers... :confused:never had a single problem (done 3-4k at least by now)

Joe R.
08-30-12, 12:49
Many Mil primers are notoriously hard. Remember that older 9mm ammo from the third world was designed primarily for open bolt submachine guns. There's zero issue with getting a hard primer to function with one of these.

Magic_Salad0892
08-30-12, 17:35
Many Mil primers are notoriously hard. Remember that older 9mm ammo from the third world was designed primarily for open bolt submachine guns. There's zero issue with getting a hard primer to function with one of these.

I was about to mention that.

And that was one of the reasons many overseas militaries found HKs, and SIG pistols so reliable, because they could detonate those hard ''machine gun'' primers.