PDA

View Full Version : S&W 500

sbui
08-30-12, 09:19
So I got one a few months ago!!!!

I got the one with the 4" barrel.

So I was comparing it to my .44 mag model 629 V comp and feel that the recoil on the 500 is less than on my 629.

Both guns are ported for such short barrels, but was wanting to know if any of you guys out there have compared the 2.

Jakashh
08-31-12, 01:28
From my extremely limited experience, I shot my Ruger Redhawk in .44 Magnum with a 7.5" barrel and Hogue grips. It stung my palms.

However, I shot the 2.5" barreled SW 500, and though it had more recoil, it stung my palms less than the .44 did.

Immediately after shooting the .500, I shot a 4" SW in .460 mag, and that also did not sting my palms like the .44 magnum did.

I'm sure it has a lot to do with the grips. The Hogues on my Redhawk had an exposed backstrap, and have been replaced with some Pachmayr decelerators.

That's just my minimal experience.

Here are the pictures of the specific guns, for reference. The .500 is on the left, the .460 on the right. The cartridge on the right near the .460 is the .500.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg515/scaled.php?server=515&filename=imag0829r.jpg&res=landing

ST911
08-31-12, 09:32
Entirely load dependent. The SW500 is a big, heavy gun that will stay put if the load is light enough. I've shot some that felt like 38 wadcutter loads, but they kind of defeat the purpose of the gun.

SW500 also fails the Walmart Resupply rule.

FChen17213
08-31-12, 11:38
I used to love shooting big bore revolvers. The recoil really is very very load dependent. In fact, when I shot the 500 Magnum, the 8" version often recoiled significantly more than the 4" version due to the porting. The old original 8" gun only had the 3 slots on top. That thing was a monster when shot with 440 gr Cor Bons or the 500 gr Hornady load. The higher velocity 375 or so gr Hornady was also a handful.

The 454 Casulls, 480 Ruger, and 475 Linebaughs are also heavy recoiling if you use heavy stout loads. However, some guns that have a lot of porting such as the Taurus Raging Bull tame the loads pretty darn well.

I've never shot the 2.5" 500 Magnum without porting, but that looks like it might be borderline masochism although I might be pleasantly surprised. Both the gun and the load have a lot to do with this stuff though. I would rather shoot 50 rounds of practice load 44 Magnum through my 4" 629 any day than 50 rounds of of Hydra Shok through a 360PD Airlite.....or 50 rounds of 44 Mag full power load through a 329 Airlite with wood grips.

whitecoyote
01-11-13, 22:29
I recently purchased a S&W 500 with a 4" barrel.
Last Sunday I shot 5 rounds out of it. The S&W 500 shot fine. I ejected the 5 rounds, reloaded, and the cylinder would not close. :confused:
I checked everything out, still the cylinder would not close.
I took it home , and cleaned it. Brushed under the extractor star, only then did it close. Then I noticed the screw that holds the yoke/cylinder fell out. The MIM screw broke off in the frame. I took the S&W 500 back to the dealer. He agreed it had to go back to S&W. :big_boss:

Dos Cylindros
01-11-13, 22:33
I recently purchased a S&W 500 with a 4" barrel.
Last Sunday I shot 5 rounds out of it. The S&W 500 shot fine. I ejected the 5 rounds, reloaded, and the cylinder would not close. :confused:
I checked everything out, still the cylinder would not close.
I took it home , and cleaned it. Brushed under the extractor star, only then did it close. Then I noticed the screw that holds the yoke/cylinder fell out. The MIM screw broke off in the frame. I took the S&W 500 back to the dealer. He agreed it had to go back to S&W. :big_boss:

Dang, that sucks. Good thing it is a Smith and they will fix it right up.

matemike
01-11-13, 22:40
Somewhat comparable:

My father has a S&W 500 with a 10" barrel as well as a S&W 44 Mag titanium frame with a 4" barrel

I'd obviously rather carry the 44 while hunting in Alaska, but I prefer to shoot the 500 all day. That 44 kicks like a bitch!