PDA

View Full Version : HSGI Suregrip molle belt

ra2bach
08-30-12, 10:00
Hey guys, if you use the HSGI war belt, what size is your HSGI belt and what is your pants size if you don't mind me asking...

I just ordered one and the guy on the phone said to get a medium which is 35.5" end-to-end if I want to use the ports for hanging my holster directly to the belt.

this seems small to me as I wear 38" pants to leave a little room for CCW but the large is 41" end-to-end which covers more around front and I don't need a lot of open space...

thanks,

SWATcop556
08-30-12, 10:26
Get the large. I bought a medium my first try and it was way too small and I'm at a 36" in the waist for my pant size.

The large is just right.

ra2bach
08-30-12, 10:55
Get the large. I bought a medium my first try and it was way too small and I'm at a 36" in the waist for my pant size.

The large is just right.

thanks guy, it sounded a little wrong when I talked to the guy on the phone as I haven't been a "medium" anything for a looooong time... :D

JW5219
08-30-12, 11:23
I'm glad you asked this question as I'm going to picking one up myself very soon. Solved a sizing dilemma I was having myself.

drck1000
08-30-12, 13:28
I have a large HSGI SGPB and I wear a 36" pants. My true waist is more like 34.5"-35" and the SGPB fits great. If fits snug as I want it to. I wear it over an Altas belt. I don't have it with me, but off the top of my head, there's about a 3" gap in between the ends of the the padded portion of the main belt.

I have my holster mounted directly to the belt through that opening at 3 o'clock. There's plenty of room for lateral adjustment.

drck1000
08-30-12, 13:30
I'm glad you asked this question as I'm going to picking one up myself very soon. Solved a sizing dilemma I was having myself.

I would suggest giving them a call. They are pretty helpful with questions. I've spoken to Gene Higdon directly to answer questions and also through email. Good people!

Dave L.
08-30-12, 14:22
Get the large....

Side question about this belt. Do these belts make you sweat more around the waist? I was hesitant to even try one based on perceived lack of breathability.

SWATcop556
08-30-12, 16:26
Side question about this belt. Do these belts make you sweat more around the waist? I was hesitant to even try one based on perceived lack of breathability.

Not more so than any other belt I've run. My top two belts are the HSGI SureGrip and the USGG Infidel. I don't really have a favorite for one over the other (other than the availability of the HSGI vs the USGG). The both serve different roles. The inner material on the HSGI gives it a "Dr. Schols gellin'" feel to it which is quite comfortable, especially when thrown on quickly over jeans and an existing belt. Cushion for the pushin' as they say.

I use the Infidel for when I know I'm going to be in the belt for a long period of time and I have a chance to prep and get ready to wear gear (ie. call-outs, warrants, etc.). I like the inner velcro that keeps the belt rock solid but I hate wearing the velcro belt by itself if I'm going to be taking the belt on and off a lot throughout the day.

The HSGI is a great belt for throwing over your regular day to day wear and still holding snug. I can throw it on over my Atlas belt or Ares belt without issue and it's great for the range when I might be in and out of the belt all day. Less of a hassle. It's also great for my plainclothes assignment as I can have it in the back seat with my PC. Sugar turns to shit and I can buckle four buckles and be in full kit un under 30 seconds.

Both are bomb-proof in build and hands down the most comfortable I have run.

ra2bach
08-30-12, 17:53

well, I called before I ordered and asked this question and they recommended the medium.

I wear 38 pants to leave a room for CCW and when I mentioned this, he said the "ports" for the drop-load holster would line up better with the medium than the large and there would not be too much around the front.

all that said, I measured one of my buddy's molle belts that fits me well and it is 41" end-to-end, just like the Large HSGI.

I called and asked them to change the sizing and they had already begun making the order so I just hope this doesn't mess things up too much for them.

ra2bach
08-30-12, 17:59
Not more so than any other belt I've run. My top two belts are the HSGI SureGrip and the USGG Infidel. I don't really have a favorite for one over the other (other than the availability of the HSGI vs the USGG). The both serve different roles. The inner material on the HSGI gives it a "Dr. Schols gellin'" feel to it which is quite comfortable, especially when thrown on quickly over jeans and an existing belt. Cushion for the pushin' as they say.

I use the Infidel for when I know I'm going to be in the belt for a long period of time and I have a chance to prep and get ready to wear gear (ie. call-outs, warrants, etc.). I like the inner velcro that keeps the belt rock solid but I hate wearing the velcro belt by itself if I'm going to be taking the belt on and off a lot throughout the day.

The HSGI is a great belt for throwing over your regular day to day wear and still holding snug. I can throw it on over my Atlas belt or Ares belt without issue and it's great for the range when I might be in and out of the belt all day. Less of a hassle. It's also great for my plainclothes assignment as I can have it in the back seat with my PC. Sugar turns to shit and I can buckle four buckles and be in full kit un under 30 seconds.

loving this review and I've seen many like it saying this is a great piece of equipment. the reason I'm buying a new belt is I've lost quite a few inches from my middle and none of my old gear fits now. :cray:

:D

JB326
08-30-12, 18:36
I too am a 38-40" and the large is perfect for me. That belt is easily the best gear investment I've ever made. I wear it for some SWAT stuff, competitions, classes, instructoring, and any time I just want to look cool at home.

Djstorm100
08-30-12, 19:33
do you guys use suspenders at all with the HSGI belt? Does it stay up even after running around fully loaded down?

SWATcop556
08-30-12, 19:53
No suspenders for me. I've yet to find a pair of suspenders that were comfortable under a PC/armor carrier.

I don't have issues with either belt and the single strap from my drop leg keeps it anchored down.

Djstorm100
08-30-12, 20:04
No suspenders for me. I've yet to find a pair of suspenders that were comfortable under a PC/armor carrier.

I don't have issues with either belt and the single strap from my drop leg keeps it anchored down.

Do you put the belt a little above your helps to help hold it in place? sorry I just see the thing falling down or slipping while running fully loaded down 4 ar mags and 3 pistol mags plus other stuff.

Dave_M
08-30-12, 21:54
My waist is ~33" (pant waist sizes vary from 32 to 34" depending on brand) and the HSGI medium fits great.

JB326
08-30-12, 22:05
Do you put the belt a little above your helps to help hold it in place? sorry I just see the thing falling down or slipping while running fully loaded down 4 ar mags and 3 pistol mags plus other stuff.

I wear mine where it is comfortable, and have had zero issues with slippage, either up or down. Mine wears two Glock mags, and AR pouch, a dump pouch, an IFAK, and a Glock 34.

At the class I attended a couple of weeks ago I had all of my pouches loaded and usually had three extra ASr mags in the dump pouch. Still no issues, even in a driving rain.

DTHN2LGS
08-30-12, 22:13
do you guys use suspenders at all with the HSGI belt? Does it stay up even after running around fully loaded down?

I would recommend getting the HSGI suspenders and measure yourself the way they tell you to. I bought some other ones, but my body shape made them too short to work right.

ra2bach
08-31-12, 06:47
I too am a 38-40" and the large is perfect for me. That belt is easily the best gear investment I've ever made. I wear it for some SWAT stuff, competitions, classes, instructoring, and any time I just want to look cool at home.

I didn't say I was 38-40, I said I wear 38 pants so I can have room for my IWB. 36 pants fit just a little snug with no room for a pistol holster inside.

did I make a mistake changing my order to large? :confused:

JB326
08-31-12, 08:10
I didn't say I was 38-40, I said I wear 38 pants so I can have room for my IWB. 36 pants fit just a little snug with no room for a pistol holster inside.

I wouldn't think so... I can't quite squeeze into a 36" yet, but I carry IWB as well, so we don't sound too different.

SWATcop556
08-31-12, 11:02

No you're good. Just wait until it shows up and see for yourself.

Dave L.
08-31-12, 13:07

Thanks for the info man. I may try one out now.

AZ-Renegade
08-31-12, 14:36
SWAT,

What belt do you run on your HSGI? I have been using a regular duty belt in mine, but it almost seems too rigid for the HSGI belt.

My holster rig is a Safariland SLS on a single strap shroud on a drop flex adaptor, so I do need a somewhat rigid belt to support it.

SWATcop556
08-31-12, 16:10
SWAT,

What belt do you run on your HSGI? I have been using a regular duty belt in mine, but it almost seems too rigid for the HSGI belt.

My holster rig is a Safariland SLS on a single strap shroud on a drop flex adaptor, so I do need a somewhat rigid belt to support it.

I use both the HSGI riggers and duty belt in different setups. Both are GTG for me but I do like the added security and durability of the riggers belt and Cobra buckle. I've broken fastex styled buckles before.

The belt setup I use for work is in scorched earth (black) and I'm running the duty belt as an inner belt. I also run the DFA with mine and its a good solid setup. It was a little stiff to begin with but is GTG now.

I think you would be served well by either. The CDI of the Cobra riggers is nice though. :secret:

AZ-Renegade
08-31-12, 17:58
I use both the HSGI riggers and duty belt in different setups. Both are GTG for me but I do like the added security and durability of the riggers belt and Cobra buckle. I've broken fastex styled buckles before.

The belt setup I use for work is in scorched earth (black) and I'm running the duty belt as an inner belt. I also run the DFA with mine and its a good solid setup. It was a little stiff to begin with but is GTG now.

I think you would be served well by either. The CDI of the Cobra riggers is nice though. :secret:

10-4. Thanks!

TehLlama
09-04-12, 13:28
36" waist, and Large was still the right call on size.

Cobra buckle closure is the heat on these, plain and simple. Gene whipped up a custom belt for mine, but since that's a standard option on that part, and the metal V/D ring isn't too obstructive, then it's still a great inner belt option.

As far as holster, Safariland 6004's mounted via the MLS 15/16 setup onto a UBL belt drop platform. Absolutely top notch for this application, I was at a training course with all these parts just out of the box from the previous day (I know, dumb on principle) and was making each benchmark on drills that required drawing and/or reholstering. Super intuitive setup.

ra2bach
09-04-12, 14:12
36" waist, and Large was still the right call on size.

Cobra buckle closure is the heat on these, plain and simple. Gene whipped up a custom belt for mine, but since that's a standard option on that part, and the metal V/D ring isn't too obstructive, then it's still a great inner belt option.

As far as holster, Safariland 6004's mounted via the MLS 15/16 setup onto a UBL belt drop platform. Absolutely top notch for this application, I was at a training course with all these parts just out of the box from the previous day (I know, dumb on principle) and was making each benchmark on drills that required drawing and/or reholstering. Super intuitive setup.

which UBL - Mid ride or 1.5" drop?

and on the Cobra riggers belt, which I believe is 1.75" did you use the 2" or 2.25" belt loop UBL?

JB326
09-25-12, 16:39

Here's mine. I'm a 38" +\- waist and I believe I got the large belt.

Djstorm100
09-25-12, 17:15

Here's mine. I'm a 38" +\- waist and I believe I got the large belt.

what type of mag holders is that? Doesn't look like to be HSGI

backfist
09-25-12, 17:51
I had the HSGI Suregrip and it worked well for me. I used the belt that came with it and I had no issues.

I ended up going to a Jones Tactical Fat Zombie...

JB326
09-25-12, 19:13
what type of mag holders is that? Doesn't look like to be HSGI

The Kydex is all homemade, here at Trojan Tactical/ my basement.

Djstorm100
09-25-12, 20:06
The Kydex is all homemade, here at Trojan Tactical/ my basement.

Thanks I'm in the market for some as I've got a training course next month.

curlyburns5
09-25-12, 21:22
I've had my sure grip for 6-8 weeks. I've spent several hours in it on the range. I wear a 31" waist and the medium works great for me. I use tacos for pistol and at mags. Plenty of room for an ifak and a dump pouch. I use G-Code holster systems. I run their drop leg with rti attachment at 3 o'clock. I am more than pleaded with the setup. If you're new to looking at battle belts I would highly reccomend them

Benito
10-21-13, 12:41
I have the HSGI Sure Grip Belt with the Cobra belt, and I like it.
I am just curious what you guys prefer for the pants belt itself. I am looking for something as low profile as possible, in order to minimize the stacking of bulk. I love Cobra buckles, but having a Cobra pants belt under neath a Cobra belt for the Sure Grip will end up in me having probably over an inch of metal buckle sticking out from my body. Seems excessive and uncomfortable.
I have seen some of the G-hook type belts, which seem low-profile, but because the G-Hook sits at an angle when it hooks onto the webbing, it juts out more than you would expect.
For example, see here (pic is not mine):
http://www.volundgearworks.com/i/gallery/belts/big/1-2web-1.jpg

I'm just looking for options.

Slippers
10-21-13, 17:29
I have the HSGI Sure Grip Belt with the Cobra belt, and I like it.
I am just curious what you guys prefer for the pants belt itself. I am looking for something as low profile as possible, in order to minimize the stacking of bulk. I love Cobra buckles, but having a Cobra pants belt under neath a Cobra belt for the Sure Grip will end up in me having probably over an inch of metal buckle sticking out from my body. Seems excessive and uncomfortable.
I have seen some of the G-hook type belts, which seem low-profile, but because the G-Hook sits at an angle when it hooks onto the webbing, it juts out more than you would expect.
For example, see here (pic is not mine):
http://www.volundgearworks.com/i/gallery/belts/big/1-2web-1.jpg

I'm just looking for options.

I have one of the volund belts and I don't find that the g-hook sticks out at an angle at all while wearing it. In the picture above it does because the belt is loose.

However, the volund isn't exactly low profile in the front where the two ends overlap.

Ledanek
10-21-13, 21:05
My waist is ~33" (pant waist sizes vary from 32 to 34" depending on brand) and the HSGI medium fits great.

I wear 32" jeans and get those 36" belts, so I'm glad you posted your experience.
:)

Wake27
10-21-13, 21:51
I have one of the volund belts and I don't find that the g-hook sticks out at an angle at all while wearing it. In the picture above it does because the belt is loose.

However, the volund isn't exactly low profile in the front where the two ends overlap.

The Atlas belt is probably one of the best options for a pants belt while wearing a war belt. I don't notice the angle of the hook at all, its like 3* and the overlap is probably still very minimal compared to others.