PDA

View Full Version : Back up handgun for hogs

Doc Safari
08-30-12, 10:11
Of course the carbine is the primary weapon, but I'm considering which handgun is best for a back up gun in case I get an up close and personal charging hog.

Right now I have a 9mm Glock 17 and a .40 Glock 22.

Based on threads I've read here, there are a couple who recommend 147gr Winchester Ranger Talon (RA9T) in 9mm as a good hog round.

Is that true? Are there better loads?

Or am I better off with the .40 as a back up self defense gun in hog country?

If so, what loads would be best for this caliber?

Thanks.

SkyPup
08-30-12, 10:52
I have shot quite a few up to 200 pounds with a SIG .357 using handloaded 124 grain Hornady XTP HP bullets at ranges from 50-75 feet and to administer a coup de grace. Best bet is a CNS termination.

Bullet placement is what it is all about.

For actually handgun hunting of hogs, I use a Thompson Center 10" barrel with 1.5X T/C scope .44 Mag with 300 grain Hornady XTP handloads out to 100 yards.

jared91
08-30-12, 12:06
I carry my smith 686 in .357 with gold dot, but will probably be switching over to my 1911 with 230gr ranger t +p. I will try and bag some hogs this weekend at the farm with it and report back on performance.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

bobsolla
08-30-12, 13:23
between the two you have,definitely the .40 caliber.it and the .45 have the most one shot stops bar the .357 magnum revolver round.good question on the type of round,as shot placement is key.the round would not only have to piece flesh and tough skin,but possibly thick bone.:meeting:

Moltke
08-30-12, 14:12
Serbu.

Watrdawg
08-30-12, 14:20
All this summer I've been tending to my deer feeders and either putting up or moving stands. The hogs are about as thick as mosquitos where I hunt. I always carry my M&P 45 mid with me. I feel pretty comfortable if I happen to run into a hog and get charged.

crowkiller
09-01-12, 22:38
With a charging hog it seems to me you'd want something that will penetrate the skull as much as possible. I would go .40 until I can get a 10mm or 44 mag.

ccoker
09-10-12, 11:17
dedicated hunting would be a 44 with 250g hardcasts

backup, I like a 1911 with 255g +P hardcast from Buffalo Bore or Double Tapp

for hogs, a deep penetrating hardcast is a lot better than a JHP

Snake Plissken
09-11-12, 23:12
I would use whichever firearm had the highest available sectional density hardcast or FMJ load. I would not recommend utilizing a cartridge specifically designed for defensive uses against human beings. Reason being your concern when defeating a hog is maximum penetration and maximum disruption of tissue. Personally I would opt for the G22 and this loading:
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_26&products_id=607

Glock 22 4.5" bbl - 1106fps

Pretty potent stuff for a .40 S&W chambering. There is also a 200 gr FMJ bullet they offer at the same velocity.

The worry for me with common HP ammo is that it's likely to yield the target penetration you'd see versus humans and that's unnecessary for hunting. You shouldn't be concerned with over penetration when hunting.

ccoker
09-12-12, 11:04
agreed with the above poster..
in 45 ACP both of these rounds feed 100% and are very accurate out of my Dan Wesson Valor 5"

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_34&products_id=428

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=214

Doc Safari
05-09-13, 09:57
Resurrecting this thread because I'm thinking of getting rid of my Glock 22 and just consolidating my pistol calibers around 9mm, except for a concealable revolver.

How is 9mm against small to medium sized hogs (not the super hog monsters that descended from Russian boars)?

Any favorite load?

Or am I kidding myself thinking a 9 is anywhere near what you'd need?

kry226
05-09-13, 10:41
I really like the 9mm and that is my personal carry round. But I would only trust a 9mm against a hog at point-blank range, and then only for head shots. For a ticked off hog, that's too close and too small of a target, at least for me.

This past year, I upgraded to the G20SF in 10mm. I feel much more comfortable walking around my place knowing I've got 15 rounds of hard-piping heat under the hood. And by the way, 400 pounders lurk in my neck of the woods.

Good luck whichever way you go.

TacCommE21
05-09-13, 11:36
10 mm for sure, as long as you can make accurate hits with it.

Currently in EE:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=130603

ffchewy17
05-12-13, 16:47
I initially carried a G20 with 180 gr Hornady XTP. But the last your I switched to my primary carry G17 with 147 gr Winchester bonded ranger, 9 mm works great on hogs. I have only had to shoot 5 this year in Florida palm scrub. All night shots with x300U. All the pigs were running hard and being pushed by 3 dogs, I only hunt with a knife. We carry pistols for pigs that aren't caught by the dogs and get pushed towards us. No problems stopping the pigs, most in the 165-200 pound range, largest shot was 265lbs. Accuracy counts more than caliber size, especially in low/no light and with the possibility of being hit/cut by a pig.

Littlelebowski
05-12-13, 17:18
ffchewy, I'd love to hear more about hunting the pigs with a knife in a new thread if you'd care to share.

ffchewy17
05-12-13, 18:09
Will do

Ready.Fire.Aim
05-12-13, 21:49
I hunt hogs in my pastures on foot using IR and NV. I stalk within 50 yards and go for DRT head shots.

I used to use a integral suppressed .308 bolt gun. Now use .300Black AR15 with a partially loaded 20 round mag.

I never carry a backup pistol, just an extra 10 rd mag in my pocket. Keeps the weight down.

texasgunhand
05-12-13, 23:53
357 mag or the 41 mag does the trick...

GJM
05-22-13, 01:04
For penetration, an option is an after market barrel in the G22, and hard cast loads like the 200 grain load from Double Tap. I am shooting hard cast thru a Gen 4 22 with a KKM barrel here in Alaska. I believe 200 grains of hard cast out of the .40 will out penetrate jacketed loads thru the 10mm.

kry226
05-22-13, 03:15
For penetration, an option is an after market barrel in the G22, and hard cast loads like the 200 grain load from Double Tap. I am shooting hard cast thru a Gen 4 22 with a KKM barrel here in Alaska. I believe 200 grains of hard cast out of the .40 will out penetrate jacketed loads thru the 10mm.

You sure about that?

rocsteady
05-22-13, 09:46
Just wondering if any of you guys have actually had to stop a charging boar, either with the pistol or your long gun?

Seems that would be one hell of a tactical/marksmanship test. Those things get pretty damn big and seem to be pretty damn mean. My heart was racing shooting when they were running away from me, not sure how I'd react if it was coming right at me!

GJM
05-22-13, 10:44
You sure about that?

There is not much I am absolutely "sure" about. However, my personal experience shooting caribou, mule deer and brown bear with hard cast bullets in the 1,000-1,800 fps envelope, and speaking with folks familiar with hard cast bullets used on cape buffalo and elephant, suggests that hard cast bullets out penetrate comparable weight and velocity jacketed bullets.

since I live around brown bears, I am always interested in learning more on this topic -- do you have different information?

kry226
05-22-13, 14:42
Just wondering if any of you guys have actually had to stop a charging boar, either with the pistol or your long gun?

Seems that would be one hell of a tactical/marksmanship test. Those things get pretty damn big and seem to be pretty damn mean. My heart was racing shooting when they were running away from me, not sure how I'd react if it was coming right at me!

Never had to do this, but I would want as many rounds as possible. I have shot hogs from 5 feet that I busted from their beds under a salt cedar. Killed two with my bolt .308. They were more interested in busting to the next county than charging. A wounded boar, now that's a completely different story. Make the first shot count, and hopefully do it before he knows you're there.

There is not much I am absolutely "sure" about. However, my personal experience shooting caribou, mule deer and brown bear with hard cast bullets in the 1,000-1,800 fps envelope, and speaking with folks familiar with hard cast bullets used on cape buffalo and elephant, suggests that hard cast bullets out penetrate comparable weight and velocity jacketed bullets.

since I live around brown bears, I am always interested in learning more on this topic -- do you have different information?

Please know that I wasn't trying to insinuate anything.

Most folks will agree that hard cast is great for penetration. But for a fair comparison, I am not sure you can say that a 200gr .40 will out-penetrate a 200gr quality jacketed bullet out of 10mm. The 10mm will undoubtedly be moving a good bit faster. 10mm hard cast versus 10mm jacketed, all at same grain and velocity, hard cast wins.

But .40 hard cast versus 10mm, same weight, jacketed, who wins? Who knows? But I guesstimate that the 10mm will be moving around 200 fps faster than the .40, on average, and possibly more depending on the load (there's no replacement for displacement). I don't think that scenario is clear-cut by any stretch of the imagination.

Bottom line is to shoot a quality gun, with quality ammo, that you shoot well, and have tons of confidence in. Good discussion. :cool:

GJM
05-22-13, 14:58
It is an interesting question. Folks who are in the hard cast camp, claim what seem like extraordinary effectiveness in penetration with what seem like modest hard cast velocity loads. Garrett Cartridges, for example, loads their Defender load designed for brown bear defense at 1,020 fps (as I recall). On Cape Buffalo, last I heard, they had never recovered a single Garrett bullet, shot from a 45-70 on cape buffalo, as all had exited.

I haven't shot an animal with the 200 grain hard cast load out of my .40, so it is just speculation at this point on how that will work out of the G22. It is my experience that the hotter the ammo in 10mm, the further out the reliability envelope you are pushing a Glock 20/29. So, if you need extra velocity in a jacket bullet, to match hard cast performance, that may be counter productive.

Another interesting question, is what the penetration difference if any would be between, for example the same 200 hard cast bullet shot from a G22, and from a G20 at 100-200 fps greater velocity. I do know that I shoot the small frame G17/22 better than the 20/29.

Salty Sourdough
06-10-13, 18:41
I've finished off a 250+lb boar with a G20 10mm and 200?gr Hornady Customs.
The round entered below the left eye and blew out 1/3 of the lower jaw ( head angled down), ruining the cutters in the process. If I hunt in bear country I pack the 10mm, otherwise I carry a G19 w/ 147grns. I have no experience with .40s&w but it sounds like a good compromise, especially if you reload.

GSPKurt
09-01-13, 22:08
Ruger Super Blackhawk, stainless, 5.5" barrel, .44 Magnum.

kry226
09-05-13, 06:09
Ruger Super Blackhawk, stainless, 5.5" barrel, .44 Magnum.

But you can run out of rounds quickly in a bad situation. Having said that, I'll often carry my S&W 629 Classic with me in hog territory.

platoonDaddy
09-28-13, 08:44
My glock 21 chambered for .460 Rowland.

Devildawg2531
09-29-13, 10:20
My glock 21 chambered for .460 Rowland.

What kind of ballistics are you getting out 460 Rowland? What is needed to convert your G21 to use 460 Rowland?

platoonDaddy
09-29-13, 16:11
What kind of ballistics are you getting out 460 Rowland? What is needed to convert your G21 to use 460 Rowland?

When I researched .460 Rowland the two (there might have been others) that interested me:

http://460rowland.com/

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=852798

Both Rowland & LoneWolf will ream one of their barrels to accept the longer 1/16" longer case and warranty the barrel.

If you are into reloading (you should with this round - $$$) I would not purchase a non-compensated barrel. With a 24lb recoil spring and a non-compensated barrel, the brass will be nicked (at least in my experience).

LoneWolf (went with them) will bend over to work with you, Rowland is a quagmire. For whatever reason, they are VERY SLOW to reply to questions (if they even do). It is my opinion they have the better product.

I do not have a chronograph, but a buffalo bore round will exit a 6x6. Have a fellow member of my gun club who will loan me his chronograph for test. Will keep u posted.

MontePR
09-29-13, 16:28
I say use what you carry. If it stops an angry 200#hog it will stop a determined 200# man. I take to the woods my carry gun every time. Had to use it only once on a pissed of sow. Back then I carried a G20 with 165gr GD hand loads. Shot twice hit once she was down. It's exhilarating to say the least to take shots under stress like that. Now I carry a G17 and honestly don't feel under gunned. My 2 cents though.

Chorizo
09-29-13, 16:31
I have stopped four "charging" X-Russian boars in California on the family ranch on the Central coast. One with a rifle and three others with pistols.

The rifle was a 30-06 at a range of 15 paces with a spine shot. This was one pissed off hog, cornered in some rocks, not wounded. It was 150-200 lbs, looking at me straight on, champing teeth and hauling ass to get me. It was hit three times by two of us with 150 gr sp bullets, the last one the spine shot.

One pistol was a .357mag 150gr sierra hollow cavity from a 6" Ruger blackhawk, two rounds and all it did was to have it change trajectory.........totally inadequate. Full expansion in a 150 lb (more or less) hog both bullets recovered from the guts, passing thought the lungs and shoulder. This hog was running straight at me, but didn't know I was there and was not wounded when it started. It took a shot from a 30-06 as it was running up a hill to kill it.

One was a 45 ACP 200 grain Speer hollow-point out of a 1911. It dropped the hog. This hog was out to get me, champing its teeth as it charged me. He was previously shot through the hams with a 7.62 russian round and while a little slower still full of fight. The round entered the chest below the throat, coming head on, and I found it in the guts up against the inside of the back leg, fully expanded. This hog was a good 250-300lbs. I would recommend using the 230gr version of the round (it wasn't made then).

The last was a 200 lb hog shot in the side through the lungs with a 243 win 85gr hp. The bullet lodged in the far side under the skin. It went into a juniper and holed up until we approached. It jumped up and came running dead on. It was shot with a 44 mag, 629 4" with 225 gr HP rounds. It took two rounds to stop this hog, both passing though the upper back near the spine right behind the head, traversing the top side of the lungs and out the guts in the belly. The rounds weren't recovered.

Bullet placement is important (where have we heard that before) as well as shock. I believe bigger is better and don't think a 40 S&W is adequate (nor the 9mm, 357 mag, or others of that ilk). The 45 LC (loaded properly), 44 Mag, 41 Mag, 45 ACP seem to work. The 45 ACP with the 230 gr bullet would likely be adequate for shoulder/muscle tissue penetration.

My experience. Use what you want from it. I know folks who use dogs and knives (or 22 cal pistols). I prefer the bigger stuff.

One thing I always recommend to carry if hunting wounded hogs with a pistol...spare skivvies. You will eventually need them.

MontePR
09-29-13, 16:43
One thing I always recommend to carry if hunting wounded hogs with a pistol...spare skivvies. You will eventually need them.[/QUOTE]
Lol ! Very true

Chorizo
09-29-13, 17:02
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fnehv9_asCk

Here it is off of my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1007355392798&l=6955695534926744386

This video, while making the rounds, was taken on our ranch some 8-10 years ago by a friend. This hog was looking for THEM. They had positioned themselves in front of it as it was making its way along a side hill. They thought it may have been shot, but were not sure and there is still discussion whether is was or not.

There are some very lucky guys there. They were more dangerous than the hog.

There were several changes of skivvies that day.

platoonDaddy
09-29-13, 17:12

This video, while making the rounds, was taken on our ranch some 8-10 years ago by a friend. This hog was looking for THEM. They had positioned themselves in front of it as it was making its way along a side hill. They thought it had been shot, but were not sure and there is still discussion whether is was or not.

Holy SHIT!

FlyingHunter
09-29-13, 19:00

Here it is off of my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1007355392798&l=6955695534926744386

This video, while making the rounds, was taken on our ranch some 8-10 years ago by a friend. This hog was looking for THEM. They had positioned themselves in front of it as it was making its way along a side hill. They thought it may have been shot, but were not sure and there is still discussion whether is was or not.

Surprised no one was shot...

MackUSCG
10-14-13, 19:37
Glock 36 is what I carry.

Mbmadness
10-25-13, 07:40
Colt 357 magnum on my side , it pretty accurate out to 50 yards

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

lunchbox
10-25-13, 09:55
Surprised no one was shot...No kidding right!?! At 0:17 looked like for sure there was gonna be some cross-fire injuries.

yoni
10-25-13, 10:12
wow that video was something. I have had the same thing happen a few times in the brush country SE of Jerusalem. But it wasn't hog we were after.

I am hoping we can get some more .460 Roland input as I am thinking hard about this for a ranch pistol.

ra2bach
10-25-13, 12:57
we have hogs that like to root around in mud. it can build up and make an effective armor coating against pistol rounds. we shot a downed hog 3 or 4 times through the shoulder with a .45 and it did almost nothing. my buddy pulled his .357 and one shot in the same place, the hog squealed and bucked like it got hit with defibrillator paddles, and died. anecdotal, sure, but I carry a .357 revolver in the woods...

williejc
11-11-13, 18:49
Sows with piglets are reported to be highly aggressive and the others not so much if not wounded or cornered by dogs. If a rifle or shotgun with slugs didn't work, I'm not sure how much help that a back up pistol would be. Nothing wrong with having one, though.

xjustintimex
11-13-13, 00:15
9mm will work with good shot placement most of the time. Not the first choice, a dedicated 10mm or 357 would be a lot better. Pig hunting with handguns is extremely fun

xjustintimex
11-13-13, 00:19
Ra2bachs experience Mirrors some similar experiences I've had.