PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6920 Service Life

Donka
01-31-08, 15:17
Hey guys,

What is the average service life of a Colt 6920?

Basically, what I am wondering is, how many thousands of rounds can I expect to fire before needing to replace the barrel, BCG, etc...?

Thank you.

Jay Cunningham
01-31-08, 15:22
Hey guys,

What is the average service life of a Colt 6920?

Basically, what I am wondering is, how many thousands of rounds can I expect to fire before needing to replace the barrel, BCG, etc...?

Thank you.

BCG? Depends. 5000 - 10,000 rounds depending on which particular pieces/part. The barrel? You'll realistically never wear it out.

Donka
01-31-08, 15:58
Thanks Thekatar.

I am getting my first AR (Colt 6920) and am trying to figure out what parts will wear out first.

What parts would you recommend to be on an "essential backup parts" list?

Thanks,
Donka

Jay Cunningham
01-31-08, 16:00
Thanks Thekatar.

I am getting my first AR (Colt 6920) and am trying to figure out what parts will wear out first.

What parts would you recommend to be on an "essential backup parts" list?

Thanks,
Donka

Get an MPI bolt (this won't wear out first, but good to have)
get an extractor upgrade kit (spring, inset, o-ring)
gas rings

Your Colt AR will be spec'd out very well from the get-go. Don't buy crap magazines and you'll be GTG.

Donka
01-31-08, 16:28
Thanks for the info on the list items. Seems nice and simple.

I went with a 10 pack of NHMTG 30 rounders from 44mag to start with.

MR.J
01-31-08, 17:09
Thanks for the info on the list items. Seems nice and simple.

I went with a 10 pack of NHMTG 30 rounders from 44mag to start with.

Good choice on a ar-15.. the mags are a good choice also, but i would go with P-mags next time, if you buy more mags later on.:)

Donka
01-31-08, 18:19
Good choice on a ar-15.. the mags are a good choice also, but i would go with P-mags next time, if you buy more mags later on.:)

I am definitly going to get some PMags the next time I place an order.

MR.J
01-31-08, 19:53

I am definitly going to get some PMags the next time I place an order.

Sounds good sir,Now go shoot the heck out of your new rifle. :D :cool: (If you can afford the ammo);) :D :(

Hootiewho
01-31-08, 19:58
These:
http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/MAGAZINE_SPRING_EXTREME_DUTY_RED_30RD_S_A_10_PACK-291-12.html

And some Magpul Followers for your magazines will make your 6920 even happier.

Donka
01-31-08, 21:02
Whats up with the red springs in the link?

Do the PMags come with the red spring standard?

Hootiewho
01-31-08, 21:10
They are a magazine spring reliability upgrade and as far as I know, you can only get them through that link. Grant also sells a good aftermarket magazine spring. P-mags do not come with the red spring and I am not sure that the red spring will work in P-mags, as they are for GI mags.

Donka
01-31-08, 21:14
There are a few parts I need from Specialized Armament, so when I place the order I may pick up a few of those springs as well to check out.

Thanks,
Donka

WS6
02-06-08, 01:49
Unsupressed, how many rounds do extractor and ejector springs tend to last?