PDA

View Full Version : Omg, decisions, decisions

Kygrizzly
08-30-12, 14:53
I recently sold my ar and received alot of good advice on here. Now I'm going blind from all the options. I really like a ddm4 v5 but the wife is looking to knock
Me off if I spend that. I also looked at a doublestar and a palmetto. For the money I like the palmetto. It is milspec right? I know the doublestar isn't. My uses will be HD/ range shooting and coyote hunting. Should I stick to the milspec rifles? Thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stickman
08-30-12, 14:55
I recently sold my ar and received alot of good advice on here. Now I'm going blind from all the options. I really like a ddm4 v5 but the wife is looking to knock
Me off if I spend that. I also looked at a doublestar and a palmetto. For the money I like the palmetto. It is milspec right? I know the doublestar isn't. My uses will be HD/ range shooting and coyote hunting. Should I stick to the milspec rifles? Thank you in advance

If you received good advise here, you know you aren't going to hear people say your lower end weapons are anywhere near as good as the DD.

If price is an issue, buy a BCM and be done with it. Its hard to get any better than that. I'll put BCM up against DD without any hesitation.

Kygrizzly
08-30-12, 15:00
Thanks, I'm thinking about selling an ak to make the diff. up. I need to call bcm because I haven't got a clue as to how much they are running.

saddlerocker
08-30-12, 15:02
If your willing to build a lower you can save a few hundred over a complete rifle.

Its really easy, and there are tons of tutorials on the web.

I did it on my first and second build and im happy I did.

viperashes
08-30-12, 15:03
Thanks, I'm thinking about selling an ak to make the diff. up. I need to call bcm because I haven't got a clue as to how much they are running.

Ordering directly from BCM, you're probably going to be looking at a wait of a couple months. I would try to find a dealer that has them in stock. Also, a Colt 6920 can be had for right at about a grand. They're also very good rifles, and are highly regarded as a "first, quality AR". You can never go wrong with a new Colt if you want something simple and basic.

Stickman
08-30-12, 15:39

Go to Grants website and look there. Why would you try to call a company when you can use the internet and answer all your questions and then some.

Grant keeps a pretty good eye on on the board, hopefully he drops in and give feedback.

C-grunt
08-30-12, 15:46
A basic no frills BCM runs about 900 or so if you get a blemish lower.

Shabazz
08-30-12, 15:58
ddm4 v5

Buy it.

doublestar

Junk.

a palmetto.

Skip it.

How do the places with lower prices achieve their lower price point?

BY SACRIFICING QUALITY IN MATERIALS AND MANUFACTURING.

Another way to say it: Cheap stuff costs less because it is shittier.

MistWolf
08-30-12, 16:07
With an FN CHF barrel and an MPI/HTP bolt that's made of the right alloy and is shot peened, where is PSA cutting quality?

Bonez556
08-30-12, 16:19
Buy the DD and be done with it. They are very high quality and DD has excellent custom service.

fallenromeo
08-30-12, 16:57
If you intend to use it for HD like you said, do not get a bargain rifle. Buy the DD, or Colt, or BCM.

Split66
08-30-12, 17:05
Well the wife may dissaprove but budgets and ARs do not mix! You are going to find creative ways to spend anyway so just go with the DD. They make a damn fine rifle that you wont have to upgrade to be in spec. It's a companion you can rely on if god forbid the chips are down as well as a weapon that can grow with you as your skillsets improve and or tastes/intended roles change.

Airhasz
08-30-12, 18:40
[QUOTE=Split66;1382725]Well the wife may dissaprove but budgets and ARs do not mix! You are going to find creative ways to spend anyway so just go with the DD. They make a damn fine rifle that you wont have to upgrade to be in spec.

Op, for the record BCM and Colt are also mil spec. Neither has to be upgraded and are both are GTG out of the box!

raZor71
08-30-12, 18:41
I don't think PSA cuts corners, as far as quality, one bit. You won't regret buying one. Do a search for PSA. There's an older thread titled "took a chance on PSA", (I think that's the name of it) good reading.

Shabazz
08-30-12, 19:08
I don't think PSA cuts corners, as far as quality, one bit. You won't regret buying one. Do a search for PSA. There's an older thread titled "took a chance on PSA", (I think that's the name of it) good reading.

Have you been able to verify the parts they use in their rifles?

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AqmgMm61Ok7WdExwaG16OENzOEZ1akp2a3Y2NjMxTEE&single=true&gid=2&output=html

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=56063

devinsdad
08-30-12, 19:48
Take your time and piece together an AR that you like. You already know what parts and manufacturers make quality parts. Add to that you already have an AK, so if you "needed"a rifle, you've already got that base covered. I totally understand the budget issues, so bit and piece your rifle over time. Nothing says you gotta have one new outta the box either. Lots of folks selling off their toys to meet bills. Keep an eye on Backpage and other sites.

FChen17213
08-30-12, 21:14
You will get a good gun with both the DD and the BCM. Don't worry about the cost of the gun itself. If you are even halfway serious about shooting your AR, you will spend far far far more on ammo, training, match fees, etc etc than on the rifle itself. Thus, there is no reason to skimp on the rifle. Now if you will buy the gun, shoot it once every few months or so, then you probably don't need a top quality fighting AR like a DD or BCM anyway and be fine with a DPMS, Bushy, Doublestar etc. There is nothing wrong with just collecting or simply owning a plinker.

zibby43
08-30-12, 21:30
What's the worst thing the wife can do?

Go ahead and spring for the DD. Buy once, cry once.

MistWolf
08-30-12, 21:34
Have you been able to verify the parts they use in their rifles?

There are several threads concerning PSA and the parts used. You can find them by using the orange SEARCH button

raZor71
08-30-12, 22:43
Yes Shabazz, I own one.

anthony1
08-30-12, 23:14
The thing is with "cheap" ARs youre still usually spending 700-800$ after taxes and trans fees. You can get a Colt or BCM for a little over 1k maybe even cheaper.

So you save only 200-300$, thats nothing if you plan on actually shooting your rifle. Ammo isnt getting any cheaper. Luckily, l reload and that helps, if not your looking at 350$ per 1k rounds of ammo- and thats just plinking type stuff. l've shot 3k rounds in a weekend before.

I would get a colt or bcm or if you really want it get the DD and eat rice and beans for a month if you have too. That said l have heard nearly all positive feedback about PSA- I think its more an issue of time will tell with them than anything else, the specs all sound good, FN barrel,etc. But still, when yu only save 200-300$ l'd take a colt or bcm for sure.

romadant
08-30-12, 23:38
DD gets my vote.

Kygrizzly
09-01-12, 18:03
Thanks again for all the replies, I do shoot alot and I also am considering building myself now. Using the search feature alot. As soon as I decide and get something I'll let y'all know and post pics

Sierra276
09-01-12, 20:26
Kygrizzly.

Since money is an issue, you might try buying an Upper or Lower first, spreading out the cost of the rifle over a little more time...

I have tried 2 Uppers from Palmeto State Armory, with geat results.

The 12" barrel was marked FN, and was one of their Cold Hammer Forged barrels, Chrome lined, High pressure tested, and magnetic Particle inspected... F marked front sight post, 7075 Aluminum Upper Receiver... It has functioned flawlessly without a single failure...

The 14.5" upper utilized the same type of FN barrel, Receiver,and Front sight, and has also been reliable, and very accurate...

At the time I purchased te 12" (Aug 2011 ), the price was $484.99 with the Bolt / Carrier group & Charging Handle...
The 14.5" without Bolt / Carrier Group & Charging Handle was $449.99...

jstone
09-02-12, 12:15
Shabazz is right You owning one does nothing to verify anything. Op Will have a much better weapon going with a proven manufacturer like bcm, dd, or colt. Psa can not even ship in stock parts in less then 3 weeks. If they can not get shipping straight Im not gonna depend on something they put together my life may possibly depend on.

Yes Shabazz, I own one.

46and2
09-02-12, 12:58
What's the worst thing the wife can do?

Go ahead and spring for the DD. Buy once, cry once.

This is how I feel. She'll get over it. Get a BCM or a DD.

Glock30
09-02-12, 13:24
Buy the DD and be done with it. They are very high quality and DD has excellent custom service.

:big_boss: yup!

jstone
09-02-12, 16:36
This is how I feel. She'll get over it. Get a BCM or a DD.

A wife can make life harder than some may think. A happy wife a happy life!