PDA

View Full Version : H&K USP 9mm Review

plouffedaddy
08-30-12, 18:30
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMG_0863.jpg

Let me just say upfront I love H&K pistols so this review may be a little biased. When you hold one in your hand they just fell like solid, very well built guns. Once you start firing them, your suspicions are confirmed. Here's a quick summary of my experience with the full size H&K USP.

Pros:
-Reliable. This gun has never had a malfunction
-Polygonal 4.25'' barrel
-Durable "hostile environment" nitrided finish
-The grip is large and has a good 'stippled' finish that help you hold on to the gun when your hands are wet, sweaty, bloody, ect...
-The sights are somewhat recessed into the slide, minimizing the chance of snagging
-It's a very accurate gun with a nice crisp SA trigger
-The trigger guard is very big allowing for firing with or without gloves
-Ambidextrous magazine release (the location is my preferred location, this may be a con for others)
-The slide release may be my favorite of any handgun I own. I shoot with a 'thumbs up' grip and many slide releases get activated by my thumb. This one doesn't and is still large enough to not have to fumble with it when doing mag changes under stress
-Many different options available in terms of what trigger system you want. (my favorite is striker fired, with a DA/SA close behind)

Cons:
-A proprietary rail is plain stupid. They have resolved this with newer models but any duty gun without a standard 1913 rail is never a good thing in my opinion
-The DA trigger has a somewhat mushy break
-Magazine capacity (15 rounds) is low compared to other guns in its' class.

You're probably sick of reading by now so here's a video of some shooting from the 12m line, a table top review with disassembly/assembly, a discussion of pros and cons, a size comparison with several other pistols, and a chronograph test with popular duty loads:

HK USP REVIEW VIDEO LINK (HD) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tryUqxiIsq4)

Chrono Data:

Hornady 147gr TAP: 985fps, 317 ft/lbs
Winchester 115gr Ranger: 1146fps, 335 ft/lbs energy
Federal 124gr HST: 1152fps, 365 ft/lbs energy
Speer 124gr Gold Dot: 1176fps, 386 ft/lbs energy

El Cid
08-30-12, 21:02
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMG_0863.jpg

Let me just say upfront I love H&K pistols so this review may be a little biased. When you hold one in your hand they just fell like solid, very well built guns. Once you start firing them, your suspicions are confirmed. Here's a quick summary of my experience with the full size H&K USP.

Pros:
-Reliable. This gun has never had a malfunction
-Polygonal 4.25'' barrel
-Durable "hostile environment" nitrided finish
-The grip is large and has a good 'stippled' finish that help you hold on to the gun when your hands are wet, sweaty, bloody, ect...
-The sights are somewhat recessed into the slide, minimizing the chance of snagging
-It's a very accurate gun with a nice crisp SA trigger
-The trigger guard is very big allowing for firing with or without gloves
-Ambidextrous magazine release (the location is my preferred location, this may be a con for others)
-The slide release may be my favorite of any handgun I own. I shoot with a 'thumbs up' grip and many slide releases get activated by my thumb. This one doesn't and is still large enough to not have to fumble with it when doing mag changes under stress
-Many different options available in terms of what trigger system you want. (my favorite is striker fired, with a DA/SA close behind)

Cons:
-A proprietary rail is plain stupid. They have resolved this with newer models but any duty gun without a standard 1913 rail is never a good thing in my opinion
-The DA trigger has a somewhat mushy break
-Magazine capacity (15 rounds) is low compared to other guns in its' class.

You're probably sick of reading by now so here's a video of some shooting from the 12m line, a table top review with disassembly/assembly, a discussion of pros and cons, a size comparison with several other pistols, and a chronograph test with popular duty loads:

HK USP REVIEW VIDEO LINK (HD) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tryUqxiIsq4)

Chrono Data:

Hornady 147gr TAP: 985fps, 317 ft/lbs
Winchester 115gr Ranger: 1146fps, 335 ft/lbs energy
Federal 124gr HST: 1152fps, 365 ft/lbs energy
Speer 124gr Gold Dot: 1176fps, 386 ft/lbs energy
Most reviews these days are on new gear/weapons. You just "reviewed" a weapon that debuted around 1992...

Which brings me to my next point - the proprietary rail was anything but "stupid.". It was very clever and forward thinking. They were the first company I'm aware of to put an accessory rail on a handgun. It was much later that we saw manufacturers start using a picatinny or "universal" rail.

And if your shooting style activates slide stops on other pistols, perhaps you should start using the proper grip. ;)

Brad A
08-30-12, 23:21
Streamlight TLR3 and Surefire has an adaptor for the USP so no issue there if you want to run a light on it. Even though it is one of the older plastic pistols and I prefer striker fired systems, I am so close to buying two of these and calling it quits in my search for something that is accurate and does not ping my forehead with brass. At least I know what I am getting with the USP.

F-Trooper05
08-30-12, 23:25
Maybe next you can review Microsoft Windows 98? ;)

CRAMBONE
08-30-12, 23:59
Man they are eating you alive. I actually did wonder why you were just now reviewing a USP. But your video was one of the better youtube gun videos.

And even though H&K was one of the first (if not first) to use a rail, they did take their sweet time changing it to the standard.

gtmtnbiker98
08-31-12, 07:08
Maybe next you can review Microsoft Windows 98? ;)
Actually Windows for Work Groups back in that era. :secret:

plouffedaddy
08-31-12, 07:53
Man they are eating you alive. I actually did wonder why you were just now reviewing a USP. But your video was one of the better youtube gun videos.

And even though H&K was one of the first (if not first) to use a rail, they did take their sweet time changing it to the standard.

Thanks.

The USP is still in production. Even if it wasn't it's on the market, hence the review (I've posted reviews on the CZ82 and P64 here too FWIW). Just trying to share some info on firearms here, not trying to put out breaking news :D

As for my grip---lots of people shoot with a high thumbs grip; pretty much every competition shooter; it's also the grip taught by the vast majority of pistol instructors. If others grip the pistol differently and shoot well---awesome. I don't have any issues with that but most people who have seen me shoot would attest that I do alright with using my technique.

The points on the rail are all valid. I just wanted to bring it up since it's an issue, that's all.

rauchman
08-31-12, 07:58
OP, thanks for a great review of the USP9. Yeah, it's not HK's latest and greatest, but so what. I don't think there is any question that these are very accurate and reliable. Isn't that what everyone wants in a pistol?

I happen to really like the pistol. I got to shoot one some time ago and really thought highly of it. Recoil was minimal and it was accurate. Not the greatest trigger, but not the worst either. I'd be very curious to shoot one of these w/ an LEM trigger setup.

I've got a USP45 that is a tank of a pistol. From time to time, I've caught myself wanting a USP9 to compliment the .45. I've shot a USP9C that I really loved. HK builds a solid pistol and USP series is no exception.

OP, I'm curious as to what your preferred pistol is. Didn't you recently do a review on a Gen4 G35 also?

Brad A
08-31-12, 09:21
As for my grip---lots of people shoot with a high thumbs grip; pretty much every competition shooter; it's also the grip taught by the vast majority of pistol instructors.

I agree and I actually like the slide release on the USP as it allows that high thumbs forward grip like a 1911.

El Cid
08-31-12, 11:04
As for my grip---lots of people shoot with a high thumbs grip; pretty much every competition shooter; it's also the grip taught by the vast majority of pistol instructors. If others grip the pistol differently and shoot well---awesome. I don't have any issues with that but most people who have seen me shoot would attest that I do alright with using my technique.

The points on the rail are all valid. I just wanted to bring it up since it's an issue, that's all.
I was just pulling your chain on the grip issue. I've seen your blog and you demonstrate a correct grip. Though I don't understand how you have interactions with slide stops that way. The reason for the high thumbs is to avoid that.

Agreed the rail does require an adapter, but I would never qualify it as stupid.

plouffedaddy
08-31-12, 15:01
I was just pulling your chain on the grip issue. I've seen your blog and you demonstrate a correct grip. Though I don't understand how you have interactions with slide stops that way. The reason for the high thumbs is to avoid that.

Agreed the rail does require an adapter, but I would never qualify it as stupid.

Got ya. I don't know how I do it either though. It pretty much only happens on Caracals and SIGs and only on the last round (doesn't lock open). I've seen others hit it up and prematurely lock the slide open---that would be something that would cause me to look for a new grip...