PDA

View Full Version : she's a lil heavy, but i overlook it because she's so pretty

Mariley85
08-31-12, 01:05
first build.

initial idea was pretty basic. and then i discovered all kinds of wild and exotic shit and the price went high. and so did her weight, lol. damn thing is a brick.

still saving pennies for a trijicon rx34. i bought the adm mount to force myself to buy an optic.

mega lower
asa upper
timney trigger
troy 13.8
black hole(?) ss 13.7"
troy irons
troy stock
adm mount
troy modular vfg
bad-ass
noveske pig
yhm ez pull pins

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/542514_10151035366079506_990424677_n.jpg

CodeRed30
08-31-12, 01:30
Love that sidecharger. Was actually thinking of using one on my next build. How do you like it so far? Any range time with it?

Mariley85
08-31-12, 01:34
no range time yet, just finished building it. looks like the soonest i'll be able to throw some lead down range is mid next week. i'm pretty damned excited.

***the anti-rotation pegs on troy rails don't fit around the uppers, so get ready for a little cutting. kind of a bummer, but it's whatever.

Velcro
08-31-12, 04:54
Nice Assembly.....

what is that rectangular thing on top...sorry, just never seen that before or I am not recognizing what it is.

Velcro

The_War_Wagon
08-31-12, 05:14
Nice Assembly.....

what is that rectangular thing on top...sorry, just never seen that before or I am not recognizing what it is.

Velcro

Looks like his RX34 mount. Just no optic yet!

jesuvuah
08-31-12, 06:00
all I can say is.....nice

fallenromeo
08-31-12, 10:34
I had a 13.7 barrel with a KX3 and 13.8 Troy rail so I know what you are saying about the weight. That is a heavy bastard. I also had a UBR stock on mine. It was heavy as hell but the UBR balanced it in the back pretty well. Enjoy it!

Have you shot it yet?

Mariley85
08-31-12, 10:37
Haven't shot it yet, but decided to take it with me this weekend because there's a huge range nearby I can hit up after I limit on dove.

Sent from somewhere in the United Soviet State of Kalifornia.

Apricotshot
08-31-12, 11:06
Why the EZ pins?

Mariley85
08-31-12, 11:11
Just because.

TacticalTyler
08-31-12, 13:13
Just because.

What are you 8 years old? Give a reasonable explanation.:no:

Mariley85
08-31-12, 13:18
Well, I thought they were a good idea, so I bought and installed them? Christ, pull your panties out of your butthole.

MidwestRookie
08-31-12, 14:16
What are you 8 years old? Give a reasonable explanation.:no:

Or what? Why does he owe you, some random ass internet person, an explanation?

OP, cool build.

SOWT
08-31-12, 16:23
Hope you enjoy the rifle (if you have had the chance to fire).

I always tell folks the same thing when they ask about their rifle; are you happy with it, because (to me) that's all that matters.

I think "she" looks nice.

totenkopf_u64
09-02-12, 15:08
Or what? Why does he owe you, some random ass internet person, an explanation?

OP, cool build.

Nothing is owed, but it's part of being a good samaritan on these forums. It gives these threads value.

Incidentally, I have a front take down pin that is pretty tight. OP, do the ez pins make it a lot easier to pop em out? what do you think of them? Or did you literally use them just because?

cundiff5535
09-18-12, 18:49
I think I just pissed myself "Surprise Cock Fag"... wow

Where the hell did you get that?

DeltaSierra
09-18-12, 18:54

Now, I think this is the dumbest post of the month.

If you bothered to look up the stupid thing on Google, you could have found those "customized" dust covers quite easily.

OP, your optics mount is in the wrong place - It should be on the receiver, not spanning the receiver and the rail.

Mariley85
09-18-12, 19:02

There was a guy selling them on here about 6 months ago, and as previously stated, they're pretty easy to find. That one was made by Noveske, sorta.

Mariley85
09-18-12, 19:06
OP, your optics mount is in the wrong place - It should be on the receiver, not spanning the receiver and the rail.

Eh, i don't think it'll be an issue. We'll see.

Mariley85
09-18-12, 19:11
And i've fired about 500 rounds through it since i posted this. Runs like a dream; no ftf or fte, action slides smoother than a buttered bowling ball, and the pig keeps the noise put front.

DeltaSierra
09-18-12, 19:21
Eh, i don't think it'll be an issue. We'll see.

Ignore good advice at your own peril.

It is generally a BAD idea to try spanning the receiver and the rail with a mount.

Oh, I forgot, you probably know more about this than I do, since I carry a plain old carbine instead of some fancy space-age carbine.....

Mariley85
09-18-12, 19:29
Someone's butt hurts.

Wormydog1724
09-18-12, 19:36
Nice. Have you put it on a scale yet?

Mariley85
09-18-12, 19:44
Nice. Have you put it on a scale yet?

Albeit crude, but I weighed myself, and then with the rifle. About 10 lbs.

glocktogo
09-18-12, 21:27
What steps did you take to make it Kali compliant?

CodeRed30
09-18-12, 21:38
Did you have to notch the carrier for that upper to work?

hotrodder636
09-18-12, 21:57

Curious about that too....

Mariley85
09-18-12, 22:19

Just a radlock.

Mariley85
09-18-12, 22:20
Did you have to notch the carrier for that upper to work?

I ordered the modified bcg direct from asa.

JSantoro
09-18-12, 22:37
Someone's butt hurts.

Clearly, but your butthurt doesn't need to leak into your posts. You can contribute responsibly, or the thread can get aced because somebody with a bunch of browser buttons you don't have felt like it. If you don't want to provide genuine answers to the genuine curiosity of others, there's no need for this to continue.

Read this, it might help you out: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=70019

That said, the folks that feel compelled to respond in kind to that stuff, it takes the same time to hit Report Post and alert the staff as it does to post something, but is a better use of the time.

Get it together, please.

Iraqgunz
09-18-12, 22:43
A few things. Though people may seem like assholes because they say something you don't like, the advice is often times sound.

Most people will tell you that bridging the upper and rail with a mount is not a good idea.

Also, you may want to read the rules about the custom forum where I have asked that people explain their rationale behind their choices.

Is that too much to ask?

glocktogo
09-18-12, 23:11
I have to admit, I'm not seeing the purpose of this build beyond a range toy. A 10 pound carbine sans optic or light that only has a 13.7" barrel seems impractical. If it does something that a handier Colt 6920 or BCM LW Middy won't, I'm all ears.

Mariley85
09-18-12, 23:33
Pretty much a range toy. I'm not about to storm a castle.

westford86
09-18-12, 23:33
Can we get a top down picture? I'm doing a 9mm build with an ASA side charger, and still trying to decide on a rail system.

I'm curious to see how much clearance the charger has when folded down in the forward position. How easy is it to get the charger?

Right now, I'm leaning towards the JP/VTAC handguard, because it's the lowest profile at the front of the upper receiver. So I'm assuming it will allow for the greatest ease of use with the side-charger.

Iraqgunz
09-18-12, 23:42
I'll say this about ASA. I visited their place about 18 months ago or so as they are in AZ not far from me.

I was less than impressed with what I saw. When I asked for certain certifications they try to pull some shenanigans. I also have my doubts about the side charging if used for serious purposes. And since I don't believe in "assault rifles" being plinkers, it had sero appeal to me.

As a consequence the write up I was going to do about them was scrapped.

westford86
09-19-12, 00:07
I'll say this about ASA......I was less than impressed with what I saw.

I can say that I would expect a lot more for a piece of hardware so expensive. It's RRA quality at a premium price... The upper is way to bulky and doesn't fit well on most of my uppers. However, the selection out there for non-reciprocating 9mm side charging uppers is slim...

Once I received my upper and spent some time thinking about the design, there were obvious improvements that could be made. ASA did not really care to hear about any constructive criticism.

I also have my doubts about the side charging if used for serious purposes. And since I don't believe in "assault rifles" being plinkers, it had sero appeal to me.

Since my build is nothing more than a plinker & range toy, I don't think it could be considered an "assault rifle." So the side charger should be just fine...

As a consequence the write up I was going to do about them was scrapped.

Go on...

fallenromeo
09-19-12, 11:21

Bullet button is all it needs assuming the barrel and Pig is pinned and welded. The pig on the 13.7" barrel makes the legal 16" that we here in Commiefornia have to deal with. That is how mine was before I sold it. Thing was too damn heavy for me.

Mariley85
09-20-12, 11:56
I was also lookkng at JP, but their receiver is like $900. That's almost double. And like someone else previously stated, the market for non-reciprocating side-chargers is pretty slim. The only mfgs i know of are: ASA, JP, and LWRC, and I think that's only available as a complete rifle (repr).

Mariley85
09-20-12, 12:01
As wild as this is, my next rifle will be relatively basic. Just a Noveske with the VIS upper.

So i'll have some wild shit to screw around with at the range and an TACXOPERATORXMILSPECXCONTRACTOR gun for....something else to screw around with at the range.

Mariley85
09-20-12, 12:04
I have to admit, I'm not seeing the purpose of this build beyond a range toy. A 10 pound carbine sans optic or light that only has a 13.7" barrel seems impractical. If it does something that a handier Colt 6920 or BCM LW Middy won't, I'm all ears.

It's not like I can't just change the barrel or handguard in 5 minutes.

glocktogo
09-20-12, 23:45
It's not like I can't just change the barrel or handguard in 5 minutes.

I think that's what I'd do. I've had some heavy ones before and they lost their appeal quickly. I had a pinned 14.5" Noveske with Switchblock. It was an excellent carbine and top notch quality. However, between the mid-weight barrel profile, Vltor upper and SWS rail, it was just too heavy for the size of it. I had a Blackout pinned to accept my M42K and with the can on it, even a stout person would tire quickly with it.

I switched to a BCM LW Middy with a BC 1.5 pinned on the 14.5" barrel and haven't looked back. Same envelope, but far better handling.

FWIW, I also have an 18" Noveske Rogue Hunter and that setup is nearly ideal for a longer barrel/longer range precision platform.

KrampusArms
09-21-12, 23:30
Not bad

koniz
09-27-12, 20:08
Nice Stick! how do you like the side charging setup

Mariley85
09-28-12, 12:14
Nice Stick! how do you like the side charging setup

I dig it. It's definitely different, and the non-reciprocating charging handle is great.