PDA

View Full Version : Noveske OR Upper?

trackmagic
08-31-12, 01:51
I started to add up the cost of building an upper reciever that I could use as my "tack driver" when I want to take longer shots than I do with my carbine. I was using everything I considered "very good" or "the best" components (the barrel would be a Rainier Ultra-match)

The problem is that After I added up the cost of all the stuff (Barrel, Free Float Hand Guard, BCG, and a very nice upper receiver, charge handle and gas block) it would be a little more than $1000.

I was thinking that is about what a rifle would cost and if I spent $500 more I could get a basic Noveske (which I always wanted, but don't have experience with them)

Now I heard Noveske are probably the best shooting rifle out of the box, but my question is will the "basic" Noveske shoot as well as an upper built around something like an "ultramatch" barrel?

Basically, can I get/build an upper for less than $1500 that will shoot as well as the Noveske will or for that much money should I just get a Noveske?

Bauer C
08-31-12, 02:10
If you are going to spend that much and want great accuracy, why not just buy a nice bolt action?

markm
08-31-12, 07:50
If you're wanting a tack driver, get a White Oak barrel.

I've never shot a Noveske that impressed me with accuracy. They're quality guns and all. My buddy runs a few of the SS barrels now... but he gets a WOA if he wants and accurate shooter.

trackmagic
08-31-12, 11:04
If you're wanting a tack driver, get a White Oak barrel.

I've never shot a Noveske that impressed me with accuracy. They're quality guns and all. My buddy runs a few of the SS barrels now... but he gets a WOA if he wants and accurate shooter.

Wow the prices are good. If they shoot sub-MOA then I am sold. I will look into those more. Thanks for the tip!

Bauer, I have some bolt action guns, but I hunt tree-lines and occasionally spot game across a field. I like my RDS in the trees, but if I see something accross a field I want to carry a 2nd upper in my backpack that I can switch out really quick for a long shot. A bolt gun is too heavy to carry around if I'm not sure I need it.

clmarshall21
08-31-12, 12:24
Wow the prices are good. If they shoot sub-MOA then I am sold. I will look into those more. Thanks for the tip!

If sub-MOA is your goal you may want to look into Rainier's Match line up also. From what I gathered from talking to both RA and WOA the barrels are nearly identical. RAs are 1:8 twist while WOAs are 1:7 (unless things have changed). They are both turned from Wilson blanks and are both regarded as being sub-MOA. However, the RA Match series comes in at a slightly lower price point (www.rainierarms.com) and actually boasts a
satisfaction/sub-MOA guarantee.

If you think you could make use of a little more accuracy, I believe you were on the right track with the UltraMatch line up from RA. My discussions with them informed me that the UltraMatch line up of barrels has more accuracy potential than the Match series. I have no first hand experience with the UltraMatch, Im just simply going off of what Paul at RA explained to me.

Above all, I would suggest getting in touch with the manufacturers of the barrels that you narrow yourself down to and see which one gives you information that gives you the "warm and fuzzy". In my case, I went with the RA Match SPR based simply on the CS I received from RA. The barrel produces sub MOA consistently with 77gr SMKs.

trackmagic
08-31-12, 15:03
If sub-MOA is your goal you may want to look into Rainier's Match line up also. From what I gathered from talking to both RA and WOA the barrels are nearly identical. RAs are 1:8 twist while WOAs are 1:7 (unless things have changed). They are both turned from Wilson blanks and are both regarded as being sub-MOA. However, the RA Match series comes in at a slightly lower price point (www.rainierarms.com) and actually boasts a
satisfaction/sub-MOA guarantee.

If you think you could make use of a little more accuracy, I believe you were on the right track with the UltraMatch line up from RA. My discussions with them informed me that the UltraMatch line up of barrels has more accuracy potential than the Match series. I have no first hand experience with the UltraMatch, Im just simply going off of what Paul at RA explained to me.

Above all, I would suggest getting in touch with the manufacturers of the barrels that you narrow yourself down to and see which one gives you information that gives you the "warm and fuzzy". In my case, I went with the RA Match SPR based simply on the CS I received from RA. The barrel produces sub MOA consistently with 77gr SMKs.

Also good information. Thanks! The RA match is high on my list. I also plan on shooting 77gr bullets. I was worried about the 1:8 twist with these, but it is good to hear you get good accuracy with them.

Can you tell me what the coldest temp you have shot sub-MOA with the 1:8 twist?

I have a 1:9 twist 223 bolt action rifle that shoots good groups with heavier ammo when it is warm, but when it gets cold (40-50º) it looks like the bullets might not have been stabilized enough. (Larger groups and bigger holes which might indicate a bullet "keyhole" issue)

clmarshall21
08-31-12, 15:18
Can you tell me what the coldest temp you have shot sub-MOA with the 1:8 twist?

Actually the only shooting in cold weather that I have done with it was in a hunting scenario and not for groups. Wish I could help you out but I am a pretty fair weather range goer.

nynco
09-01-12, 20:40
It is cheaper to buy this upper from Rainer than it is to build it. I have the 16 in version and love it. I switched out the hand guard and a few other parts though. But that DD rail is really a great piece just too large for my hands. If you try to build this like it is from Rainer, you will spend 1600 or something like that. If you don't like the rail, but it, take it off and sell it for 300. Then buy a TRX like did and you have a match grade upper for a really GOOD price. Also for long range, might as well go with the 18. I only wish they made the 18 with the riffle length gas system. Which they sell it that way separate, so who knows if they will switch it out or not for you.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/browse&category=rainiercustomshop_rainierarmsultramatchseries

nynco
09-01-12, 22:55
Also a basic Noveski while a great riffle is NOT a tack driver. You are trying to compare apples to oranges. A stainless barrel tack driving upper or.... a chrome lined battle MOA riffle. If you are going for accuracy, then stick with the stainless because if you go with the other, you will not be satisfied with the results.

K.L. Davis
09-01-12, 23:59
What sort of accuracy are you looking for?

I have what I call the "the rule of accuracy economics" which simply put is: reducing the group size of a rifle by half, will double the cost of the rifle.

Can you build an upper for the same price (or less) as a well known name like NRW, and still have the same (or better) accuracy?

Sure you can... but, you have to have some level of experience; and you have to get lucky too - premium barrel prices not only ensure accuracy, but that the accuracy is consistant from barrel to barrel. Probably the most accurate production AR I have seen was built by a local company and holds 0.5", five round groups at 150 yards, consistantly.

However, I also had a 100 dollar, unknown gun-show barrel in an AR that would make pretty little three-round clover leafs at 100 yards all day long... the deal here is that the barrel that was setting next to it on that random table could have grouped like a shotgun. I got lucky.

Buying from a reputable name gives your the ability to protect your investment... if the manufacturer says it is a Sub-MOA barrel, then (with the right ammo and shooter) it will be, or they will make it right.

But the first thing to figure out is what is an acceptable level of accuracy for you?

jstone
09-02-12, 00:23
Carrying two upper in a hunting situation is a little unrealistic. While it is easy to change an upper. Doing it in a tree stand without getting busted is another story. You should think about building or buying a quality upper and equipping with a good 1-4 power scope for the ability to do both. On 1x you can have red dot capability, and 4x give you the ability to make the longer shot.

If it is going to be a 556 upper 4x should give you plenty of magnification for the longest shot capable of taking a deer with 556. A match king will kill a dear without question but you might want to look at an expanding bullet. Expansion seems to be a more reliable method for taking game. Bullets that fragment Seem to be a little less reliable and need higher velocity to fragment. When an expanding bullet usually Will expand at lower velocity and do it more reliably. They also should make it through bone better